Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Today is a very important day in U.S. History. For the first time ever, same-sex couples will be able to wed in Massachusetts with the full blessing of the state.

The New York Times has a very good article on this issue. Many of the Conservative Opponents to this new policy have said that the public will see how this leads to disaster in the next two years before a ballot proposal to ban gay marriage in the Massachusetts State Constitution will go to the polls.

Yet none of these people have made any specific predictions into exactly why this is a mistake. They've said that gay marriage will undermine straight marriage, but they haven't articulated exactly how.

The fact that they have not been able to name a specific negative effect of gay marriage is, of course, evidence that they really aren't concerned about gay marriage causing harm, per se. Rather, it implies that they simply are offended by the idea and aren't willing to use that reason as justification for all this opposition.

I believe that in two years, people will see that gay marriage hasn't caused the sky to fall, it hasn't tripled the divorce rate, and it hasn't produced warped children. I think gay marriage is going to go the way of interracial marriage. After all, the arguments being used against it are identical.

Thoughts?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Quote:

What the heck country do you live in? I gotta move THERE!

Yeah, I know...I'm an idealist, aren't I?

biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Just out of curiousity, Lightning....

If civil unions granted all of the same benefits and priveleges that "marriage" does, would you be willing to accept civil unions instead of gay marriage?

I'm still thinking on that one myself...

Sure, because at that point, there would be no difference between a civil union and a marriage from a legal standpoint, as long as they were recognizable from state to state.

And in that case, anyone could get married in a church/temple/etc.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

In other news, ACCORDING TO YOUR LOGIC I see no reason why I, as a 31 year old man should not be allowed to marry my father, whereas another 31 year old man could. There's no larger breeding issue than with any other gay union.

Well, fine. I won't stand in your way, then. Honestly, I find the idea repugnant, but I don't see how it would harm me or anyone else in any way and for that reason, I see no reason why I should waste a single calorie trying to stop it.

-Mike

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
the thing that continues to astound me is that people can actually believe that gay marriage is wrong and sinful and and is going to make the world a horrible population depleated wasteland, i meen, just seeing the people lining up to get mariied, they all look soooooooo happy, the fact that there are some who actually want to take that away from them is terrifying>>>>>>>luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Page: