MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Poi moves come in two (main) families, butterfly and weave variations. Which do you prefer?
I'm only asking because up until quite recently, I much preferred weaves, but for some reason I have suddenly changed to butterflys. The flow seems to feel better now, even though I always used to think of them as being very 'static' moves (static as in less body movement rather than poi movement). Is this something that happens to most people at a certain point?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
I must admit, i like the weave variations more, even though i know more of the butterfly moves. Weave, for me, makes for a better show, and i can dance around much more with the moves.

Peace out

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I guess it partly depends on whether you're spinning to music or not. I don't usually, but when I do, weaves do seem to fit better.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Butterfly's are a tad more challenging so i do them a bit more than most other people give time in for. Though, weaves still feel smooth and right and natually more appealing to the eye. I guess it depends on my mood.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
well, I try as much as possible to do a good mix of the two, but I always find myself doing weaves more. I think thats just cause I dont have as many butterfly moves that work with my poi dancing style.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I'm a weave guy.
butterfly = bruises

There was a poll a little while back as to who prefers what families of moves. I can't remember the numbers though. You could check that out for exact percentages.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I do both. With glowsticks I make wraps (well.. sorta. I do alot of the same wraps over again ) and move them into each other. But when I'm doing fire, I'm mostly a weave guy. Mixed in with turns.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
well i like both of them...
make both of move fluid its a challenge i mean doing both families switching and switching and makes them looks fluidy

All this is possible casue anything that you can do with weave you can do it with butterfly...
weave--btf weave
all the btb stuff with weave are possibles with butterfly
fountains too
windmills-- alternate butterfly?
corkscrew horizontal mexican wave and so on i guess

combinating all of that and all the shit and made them fluid at the rythm of the music is the cool shit and makes my poi dancing awsome(at least in my opinion )

Dance like if noone were watching you

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i like butterfly combos for certain things. i usually find them harder to get into and out of tho. weave is what i go back to when i get frustrated, so it's more comfortable.

odd exception, for some reason the only thing i can get out of a reverse btb weave into so far is a butterfly of some sort or another.... mebbe i shoudl try turning in from a butterfly too.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
weave feels flowy and Butterflies feel bouncey I like them both... Each feels different and it depends what music's happening and how I'm feeling and what the rhythm makes my body do... but mostly I don't think about it & do both of 'em in the natural course of dance

[ 06 May 2002, 11:11: Message edited by: Moon Pixie ]

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I do mostly weave, but I'll go into butterfly moves for effect. I think that weaves have more variations and that they flow more smoothly.

It's very much a style thing, I guess.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Weave doesnt have more variation
it got the same amount of variation since anything that is done with weave it can be done with butterfly you will get notice of that with time i guess dunno :/

deadend007member
5 posts

Posted:
I like playing my style to the music. If the music has a lot of hard beats then I spin in the butterfly, but when trance is the dominate tune then I go for a weave. As far as which one I favor, I would have to say the weave because it's more fluid.

Buy the ticket.Take the ride.

Kendermember
33 posts

Posted:
I would say that a nice mixture of both is very appealling, however I do mostly weave cuz it seems to flow better from one move to the next. But it really just depends on the mood you happen to be in....

-=Kender=-

--------------
Yesterday I was nothing, today Im something better cuz I believe I can be.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i try mixing both families at the rythm of the music...