• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

resident fridge magnet
Total posts: 835
Posted:Okay... so, most of the time, I get very very annoyed with friends who choose to spam me with bits of taoist wisdom, mantra's, sweet little haiku's, uplifting and inspiring TRUE stories of human love, courage and wisdom, e-mails telling me that "if you forward this, a poor little kid in Guatamala with eight arms and no head and just two months to live will get $0,01 from Microsoft for his cosmetic surgery" and more such feelgoodery.
I sigh, long and deep, at the kind of company I am apparently keeping. (though this feeling doesn't usually last very long - I love my friends to bits, even the ones who send me trite little poems about what "a friend is..." smile)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cynic who's lost all faith in human goodness - quite the opposite in fact - I just don't like having it shoved down my throat in the form of icky, endlessly repeated platitudes.... Plus I think the little Guatamalan boy - and all his tragic couterparts in other e-mails - must be long dead by now given the number of years in which most of them have been circulating. Unless of course enough idiots forwarded them to pay for the life-saving surgery!

Maybe it's hormonal, or maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I came accross something today that I liked so much I'd like to share it with you. It comes from the website of the Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding (www.tanenbaum.org), and it is this:

The Golden Rule: A Vision Shared

Bah'i: "And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself." Lawh'i 'Ibn'i 'Dhib, "Epistle to the Son of the Wolf" 30

Buddhism: "Hurt not others in ways you yourself would find hurtful." Udana-Varga, 5:18

Christianity: "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets." Matthew 7.12

Confucianism: "Do not unto others what you do not want them to do to you." Analects 15.13

Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you." The Mahabharata, 5:1517

Islam: "Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself." Fortieth Hadith of an-Nawawi 13

Jainism: "A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated." Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: that is the whole of the Torah; all the rest of it is commentary." Talmud, Shabbat 31a

Native American: "Respect for all life is the foundation." The Great Law of Peace

Sikhism: "Treat others as thou wouldst be treated thyself." Adi Granth

Taoism: "Regard your neighbor's gain as our own gain and your neighbor's loss as your own loss." T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien

Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." Dadistan-I-Dinik, 94:5

well, I (an atheist!) liked it, hope you did too!

everyone's unique except me

Total posts: 233
Posted:Bill and Ted: Be excellent to eachother

Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
Total posts: 743
Bill and Ted: Be excellent to eachother

ubblol ubblove

Total posts: 455
Posted:only yesterday i managed to get "socrates" into a converstion biggrin biggrin biggrin (pronounced like so-crates)

Total posts: 21
Posted:I believe this is from Taoism (about other religion)

"There are many paths to the same goal"

I think that sums up your post nicely smile smile smile

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Total posts: 13920
Posted:Ok, I liked it, too.

I also liked the rant. ubblol

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Total posts: 33
Posted:ubbrollsmilePEACE 'N' LOVEubbrollsmile

only yesterday i managed to get "socrates" into a converstion biggrin biggrin biggrin (pronounced like so-crates)

Ohh try reading The Way of the Peaceful Warrior (look at my book thread to find out more) and try going through the whole book not calling the dude So-crates! hehe

Stream Entrant
Total posts: 2830
Here are a couple of my golden rules for a shared vision:

1. All gods are one god.

2. There are no winning sides in war, just losers.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Posted:All the power to you if that is your belief but it really has nothing to do with the golden rule.

Are we there yet?
Total posts: 1897
Posted:you could add two wiccan tenets to that list:

an if it harm none, do as thou wilt

ever remeber the threefold rule (that everything you do will be returned you threefold)

Posted:Question Ade, when you say Quote:
an if it harm none

how do you mean it? Physically, emotionally etc?

Tao Star
Tao Star

Total posts: 1662
Posted:it means in any way at all - even if they don't know they've been harmed.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Are we there yet?
Total posts: 1897

it's a maxim to strive towards, like the jains philosophy of harming none

Posted:Those with the Gold make the Rules!!! eek eek eek