Forums > Social Discussion > Now you can have a designer virus made for $200K

Login/Join to Participate

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
https://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,63441,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

Yes, they are using it to find a possible cure for aids. But it's pretty damn disturbing how they did it. I figure several million might be enough to steal some people with the know how, some equipment and lab facilitys for say, rich saudi arabians who like to fund terrorism to have their own super-biological weapons created.

Another reason why we should stop giving terrorists reasons to destroy us.

Edit:and destroy us they will, especially if they find and alter a small pox virus, which im not entirely convinced is so hard to find (as hard as finding graves of the last victims to die of it in africa)

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
imagine if their little creation works! how happy would that make the world?

but yes on the other hand... if some uni students could figure it out whos saying that smart ass baddies in the world cant figure out their own nasty stuff and spread it around...

good news always comes with bad news doesnt it? juggle

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
i'm working with some scientist that are doing just that, were also working hard at bieng able to finally cure or defeat the aids virus or many others. i don't think it would be as easy as they made it out to be. but if it was then great there would be nothing better than someone finding a cure.

also some useless information: you can buy a lab mouse that comes with a disease of your choice i.e systic fibrosis and other stuff for AUD$120 000

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
It wouldnt supprise me if the answer to aids was something so simple that it has been over looked for 20 years or so.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Hi Burzaruka, do you mean like using lemons as a douche to prevent the spread of aids, especially by women in undeveloped countries lemonaids or did you have something else in mind?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Well... I didnt say that it would be lemonjuice, I just said it wouldnt supprise me if the cure was something so simple that it was overlooked. Life is full of those little ironic twists. Man that would hurt. I have heard of worse ideas, terrible and cruel ideas that I dont even want to mention.

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Burzaruka like rapeing babies?

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Yeah, sick and just blech so wrong.

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
I blame the catholic church for it, being one of the biggest foreign powers in africa and chooseing not to educate all the catholic africans who intently listen to everything they say.

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
So the Catholic chruch told them to rape babies to cure aids? Am I reading what you said wrong?

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
No, the catholic church failed to educate them and left them to their own devices. And when being confronted with what had happened, they still refused to educate them beyond "abstinance is the only protection"

They aren't solely to blame. Obviously the people who rape the babies are also to blame, and various other organizations in africa, and the african governments who aren't doing anything because they are to busy getting in one war after another.

But the catholic church had the power to stop most of it from happening and they didn't, and I hate them for that, it's easier for me to have an issue with something as large as the catholic church, then the africans who are rapeing the babies to cure their aids, who belong to dozens of diffrent ethnic groups, nations and religions.

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
It is my opinoin that your anger is misplaced. I just dont agree with you on this one.

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
It probably is misplaced.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No, it is not misplaced.

This is the religion problem again. The facts are that abstinence is a crappy method of STD prevention and contraception.

Why, you ask?

Because IF you hold up abstinence to the same standards that are used to measure the efficacy of other forms of STD prophylaxis (condoms, chiefly), you have to take noncompliance into account.

Having delivered two babies born to "abstinent" mothers, I will say from first-hand experience, that noncompliance with abstinence is a HUGE problem. Sex is a natural physiologic function and simply telling people not to do it doesn't work. That is fact, not opinion.

Yet the Catholic Church has different priorities.

1) Dogma
2) AIDS prevention.

So they're willing to do AIDS prevention as long as it doesn't interfere with their dogma.

And until they swap priorities, they won't make a dent in HIV.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Lighting, if you dont have sex, you wont get an STD (ignoring the sharing of needles and all that jazz).

While statistically you may be right. Those that depend only on abstinence might fail in their goal while a condom has a higher chance of not breaking.

But look at it this way, there is no possible way to get aids through sex, if you dont have sex. You cant deny this, it is a matter of absolute physics.

If you can keep the will power then you are fine.

It isnt the fault of relgion that aids exists, it isnt the fault of religion that idiots rape babies because they think it will cure them. It isnt the fault of religion period.

I cant believe you would blame religion for all of lifes problems. As if you can change anything by pointing fingers.

It isnt the churches responsibility to stop aids, thats your job as a doctor(to be). The church is doing its part, you and your collegues need to yours. Go find the cure, stop pointing fingers!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Lighting, if you dont have sex, you wont get an STD (ignoring the sharing of needles and all that jazz).

While statistically you may be right. Those that depend only on abstinence might fail in their goal while a condom has a higher chance of not breaking.

But look at it this way, there is no possible way to get aids through sex, if you dont have sex. You cant deny this, it is a matter of absolute physics.

If you can keep the will power then you are fine.

I cant believe you would blame religion for all of lifes problems. As if you can change anything by pointing fingers.

It isnt the churches responsibility to stop aids, thats your job as a doctor(to be). The church is doing its part, you and your collegues need to yours. Go find the cure, stop pointing fingers!

I am going to explain this again really slowly for you, Burz:

In medicine, we work on hard data, not on what ought to happen.

The hard data shows that abstinence education is a very poor way of preventing STD spread and pregnancy because compliance is poor.

While it would certainly be nice (and would essentially stop HIV spread) if people would just stop having any sort of sex other than completely monagamous, life-bonded sex, the cold, hard fact is that it's not going to happen.

Want proof? Why don't people stop smoking when I tell them tghey should? Why don't they lose weight when I tell them they should (and carefully and lovingly counsel them on how to do it)? Why don't they avoid salt when I tell them that they must if they want to avoid having their CHF get worse?

For the same reason why abstinence education doesn't work. (Abstinence works fine, but abstinence education doesn't).

You are correct that it is not the responsiblity of the Church to do anything about HIV/AIDS. HOWEVER, it is inappropriate, damaging, and none of their business to be actively obstructing good, evidence-based healthcare by butting in and then refusing to teach about condoms.

Burz, you're way out of your league debating with me on this point.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Hold the phone mr AT&T... you said abstinance, not abstinence education. There is a differnce. Not having sex is full proof, telling someone not to have sex isnt. I will consent that fact 100% to you. You cant get pregnent if you dont have sex. You cant get someone pregnent if you don't have sex. That is a fact. Depending on the constitution of someone to only rely on not having sex isnt going to work. Humans are too much of a screw up to rely on that. But it is the only way to be 100% free from an STD or getting yourself/someone pregnent.

I consent 100% that just education isnt enough, it requires practice and paitience and diligence. Even teaching someone to use a condom isnt enough to get them to do it right 100% of the time.