Forums > Social Discussion > Stanford Prison Experiment

Login/Join to Participate

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
It seems with all the problem's over in iraq with the abuse of the iraqi's prisoners that this study came to mind. I don't think it has been posted and i am not sure how many people have heard of it.

Stanford Prison Experiment

Take the slide show it is actually quite intresting.

Let Me know your thoughts.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh i remember doing that in Psychology!

I had forgotten completely about it! It does explain a lot of things actually. ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Hobbitboymember
33 posts

Posted:
Was there not a TV show based on that experiment??

PippinBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
This reminds me of a simliar one that was done a few decades back with school children. The kids with blue eyes were pick out and told they were inferior and those with brown eyes superior. You can guess the outcome of this.
It is amazing how outside influences can affect peoples behaviour and how little is needed.
Very interesting.
smile

DFZBRONZE Member
313 posts

Posted:
i think it said BBC did a tv show based on the same thing but once agian itnstead of going for ten days it was cancelled after 8.

Not completly sure though.

-- Steven Wright

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no outside influence is needed. They got two groups of young boys at summer camp and before they had even met, they had heard each other using the facilities and seen each other in the distance. That was enough to start animosity between them. The researchers didn't have to do anything. They were quite surprised I think. (And probably slightly worried.)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thinking back to the Experiment - wasn't it stopped after just 6 days because of the pathological reactions of the prisoners?

What i found most interesting from the study was the fact that Zimbardo said himself that it mostly the stereotyped expectations of the people playing the roles, not the actual roles themselves? (if that makes sense).

In the case of Iraq it makes perfect sense, it's not the American's that are ruthless it's the fact that they believe to run a prison you need to be ruthless, they believe they need to torture the prisoners.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i think one of the original purposes of the zimbardo experiment was to see if prison jobs atracted aggresive people or if the job made them like that. it obviously proved that people can become aggressive etc. when in that kind of environment, but didn't rule out that a lot of people who apply for jobs like that might have psychpathic tendancies anyway.

now i'm not making a general statement about people who join tha army, because i'm sure there's a lot of soldiers out there who are realy good people who want to change things, but having seen those photos of the iraqui prisoners and the guars actually seeming to enjoy what they're doing, i find it quite easy to write a lot of them off as having psychopathic tendancies.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MrDremember
15 posts

Posted:
Didn't the prisoners and the guards in the BBC version decide to all live together as equals? Or did I imagine that?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
But in Zimbardo's experiment the prisoner's and guards were randomly chosen. Therefore they did now know whether they would be a guard or a prisoner.
So it could not be to see if prison jobs attracted aggresive people? As the people did not get to choose.

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Yes the study was stopped out of fear (well based) of both physical and mental damage to the subjects. All that in about a week, when they even know they are being watched. The mind boggles when you have a situation where the jailers are longterm, of a different nation, generally of a different culture and ethnicity to the jailed AND are coming under the stress of constant mortar fire. Creepy. Taking note of the same study, an interesting Open Letter by a ex soldier

edit: not sure if he is an ex soldier or not, but if not soon to be one I Imagine.
EDITED_BY: Kyle McLean (1084635350)

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If you think that one is bad, there's also the Milgram experiment which shows how that when people are told to do something that they're not going to be held responsible for, people will do an awful lot...

https://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm

All of these are fascinating and incredibly depressing. But they should probably teach them in school...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh Milgram's study... Now that was completely unethical!

Did you know they repeated a couple of times after the original one with females?

I couldn't believe people would have given someone such a strong electrical dose, that if it actually was real would have killed them!
Even with the responsibilty being lifted (a lot of them were told that they were not held responsible for what would happen) i wouldn't go that far!

ubbangel

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

So it could not be to see if prison jobs attracted aggresive people? As the people did not get to choose.

oh yeah redface

strong-bad pop up book,

DFZBRONZE Member
313 posts

Posted:
that's another amazing experiment. People are capable of doing the most inhumaine acts. i'm surprised in the milgram experiment that nodbody said no to shocking them.

i don't think i could ever try to punish someone to the point of killing them.

-- Steven Wright

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
nipping back to stanford for a sec i found it very interesting to note the effects pon the chap doing the actual study and the changes in the point of veiw he had.

reading to the escape part he stopped thinking as an objective observer and started only to think as a prison warden .

interesting to note that the act of observing something not only affects the thing being observed but also the observer.
its the same with most things from inter personal situations to electron microscopes

think about that next time you gaze up into the sky and think about how observing the stars is changing you, because it is. at least a little bit

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
For he that looks into the abyss must remember that the abyss looks also into him..
And if one stares into the eyes of the monster, the monster is staring back at you

I think thats somewhat correct, cant remember who said it, but i think its in diablo 2 somewhere.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Friedrich Nietzsche did I think.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
2 questions about the original zimbardo experiment to anyone who knows...

they did questionnaires on all the participants before the experimant to make sure they were completely sound of mind and not at all psychopathic,

1. did the participants know what the experimant would be before volunteering (and so have the opportunity to lie on the interview)

2. how did they show the interview proved they had no psycopathinc tendancies, and had its effectiveness been tested?

just cos i wanted to know.

strong-bad pop up book,

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
I know the participants did not know what they were going in for... that's why it would be impossible to re-create it today due to modern ethic laws and such.

I dont know the rest offhand. It's still in my old psychology text book. i shall look later on tonight for you. ubbangel