DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right - well, I've been working for the National Trust for a while now 1.5 years overall but only 6 months as a permanent member of staff...

Then a company got in contact with me and asked me to apply for this job (which was nice of them - I wasn't really looking that hard) and it turns out they've just offered it to me smile

Yay.

I'm now in a bit of a dilemna as follows:

The new job
Pro's
~ Is much more what I want to be doing "career-wise"
~ It pays £4k more than my current job

Con's
~ Is 9-6 (i.e. 40 hrs per week - which I think's long hours)
~ Is in London thus would need to commute (extra 20 hours per week plus £2k for train and parking)
~ I would be the 4th member of staff in the office - i.e. not hugely social
The main killer is the hours - This would mean pretty much giving up my drumming and would make it difficult to run the poi nights on Thursdays in Guildford

My Current Job
Pro's
~ Is 5 mins from home
~ Is in a beautiful manor house
~ Has a nice atmosphere/staff etc

Con's
~ I feel hugely under-employed
~ Salaries a bit poo
~ The work's not at all what I want to be doing

The other complication is that I'm going travelling for a year when Mrs Durbs finishes Uni next year - so at either job I won't be there for very long. In some ways I'd feel guilty taking the new job knowing that I'd be leaving them in the relatively near future. But on the flip side - I need the higher salary to save up enough money to go travelling

Eeeeep confused
Any help?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if you need the money to go travelling, take the new job.

the drumming is a sacrifice but the pro's of the new job seem big pros - career direction and 2k more (after travel and stuff).

the pro's of your current job all add up to just one really: 'cushy'.
which is a bad reason to stay in a job i reckon.

of course, if you really don't want to make the decision, you could tell the new people about your travel plans and see what they say...?

if they still want to offer you the job after you tell them that, you'd *have* to take it on account of them wanting you so much.

good luck deciding man ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
okay heres my advice get an two a4 peices of paper.
write 'NEW JOB' on one and 'OLD JOB' on the other
next get a pin
then blindfold yourself........ i dont need to continue do i??

it looks like a case of staying in a rut ( idont know if it is a rut but it sounds a bit like it)
but an easy rut
or putting some really hard work in travelling,making sacrifces etc etc etc for a bit more ££ and a job you run the risk of really enjoying and getting your teeth into.

i have had an offer of a permanent contract with the company i work with. i know their systems in and out and if i put in the effort (wore a suit worked extra worked harder did exrtra courses etc) i coul dprobably rise up through it fast
but im planning on leaving the country so it really aint worth it so the situation with mrs durbs helps a bit less.

all this is just highlighting problems you already know and making point of the pros and cons.
so my actual advice is this.
stay. the travelling is too much the drum club you will miss too much. if you get the job and really like it and have the career advancement you are looking for what then happens to your and mrs durbs plans to go travelling.
if i was in your shoes.
id leave it till i got back then go for the career in a big way.
its what im doing. hope it helps.
or you can just use the pin ubbrollsmile

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
And don't ever underestimate your own negotiating power. You should feel confident they want to hire you (they offered you the job, didn't they?) Tell them that you have an obligation on Thursday evenings that requires you to leave work early on that day .... be flexible about it - offer to show up a little earlier and eat lunch in or something.

Just my two cents. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut, because too often I see people assume that they can't have their cake and eat it too, when all you have to do is ask.

Good luck either way.

smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice - Everyone seems to have picked up on all my key points smile
I guess it basically boils down to:
Money vs. Freetime (Happiness?)
Career vs. Stability

I am "in a rut" at the moment, not an unpleasant rut, but a rut nonetheless - but (just to make things more complicated) I'm a "Super User" (If only they knew wink ) which is basically someone with good IT skills. Until 2 days ago all this meant was if people had a problem with their PC or Word or whatever they'd ask me for help - which was a bit poo. Now, however, there's talk of the Super Users running training for people in specific applications and I've always wanted to get into training... This doesn't come with any extra moolaa though (Being a charity and all - which is a lame excuse)

I have to say also, that I like working for the Trust, despite all it's quirks and issues and would be sad to leave and in a way let the rest of my team down...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
@ Spanner:

Cheers m'dears - I guess I was head-hunted (well, CV hunted at any rate) which is encouraging.
However the company is pretty small. The UK branch is only 3 people, I'd be the 4th so it'd be very unlikely they'd have a vacancy in the next few years that'd be expanding by 25% biggrin

Plus I would've effectively turned them down after leading them on (In their eyes anyway) which might cause some bad vibes

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm... dilemmas, dilemmas.....

i'm in a similar situation myself at the moment, with plans to head off for a years travelling this october.

the extra cash doesn't seem like a an awful lot when you subtract your travel & parking costs. the 2k per annum that your left with works out at less than 40 quid extra a week, and i'm assuming that's before tax. you'd probably spend the balance on going out for lunch and a few beers after work if you're working in the city, no? i know i would biggrin

anyway, that's just my tuppence worth....

hope you make the decision that's best for you anyhow smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
Quote:

I am "in a rut" at the moment, not an unpleasant rut, but a rut nonetheless - but (just to make things more complicated) I'm a "Super User" (If only they knew wink ) which is basically someone with good IT skills. Until 2 days ago all this meant was if people had a problem with their PC or Word or whatever they'd ask me for help - which was a bit poo. Now, however, there's talk of the Super Users running training for people in specific applications and I've always wanted to get into training... This doesn't come with any extra moolaa though (Being a charity and all - which is a lame excuse)

HA HAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
LAUGHING MY LITTLE BOTTY OFF

im a super user too!!!!!!!!!
i wirk for a company that makes about... £1000000 a day and i dont get a bonus either so 'super user is just there to screw over honest hardworking people like me and you.
doesnt it just suck?
i even have a big sign on my pc that says 'steve smith super user'
hate it
it sucks
yeah i now think RUN RUN AWAY from the super userness run and hide.
nahh balls to it use the pin let the pin decide.
then go and read 'the diceman'

by the way durbs (and you must excuse me for this)
when i first read you i thought 'man' then after more reading i start to think 'woman' then i see 'mrs durbs' which makes me think man again, although who knows??
so i have no idea.although it may explain why i missed you at spitz.
just for future ref

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
eek Man wink

(I have photos to prove it)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
40 hours a week is too much?

*sigh* I am SO in the wrong career. I'm working 40 hours a week this month and I feel like I'm on vacation.

So, right...

Can't you move closer to your new job? I know, no small task, but if this is what you want to do as a career, then maybe that's worth it.

Besides, London isn't such a shabby place to live. cool

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah sorry - I have no problem with working 40 hours per week, it's partly the fact that it's 9-6 - I'd much prefer 8-5 so then I'd have some evening left (I've asked, but it has to be 9-6). Also with commuting it'd be more like 60 hours per week.

And there's no point moving up to London as that would eat up even more money...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi