Page:
Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Well when I was in L.A. I did an abundance of reading. Honestly when you are at the beach and really just wanting to relax what better way to spend your, too hot to be outside, day than curling up with a good book infront of the AC?

The point of this little topic is to exchange good book titles. Anything that you have read and enjoy, perhaps a little review and what not.

Mainly I am just looking for something to pick up that I might not normally think to pick up and maybe we can do the same for eachother.

So, I'll start off by recommending the fantasy book series called "The Sword of Truth" series.

The first book is called, "The Wizards First Rule". An awesome story line by Terry Goodkind. I highly reccomend it for anyone who is interested in fantasy or just looking for a new series to keep them company for a long time. With 8 books in total in the series thus far you have a lot of black and white ahead of you.

Next for the Sci-fi fan in us all I submit the Halo book series. You've played the game, and if you havn't you should, now read all about Spartan 117, his origins and about the Human Covanent War. Masterfully written by William C. Dietz and Eric Nylund. You start with "The Fall of Reach" where you learn of the creation of the Spartans and all the events leading up to "The Flood" (Halo the game) where you read about more than just Spartan 117's fight for servival. After the battle for Halo and before the second game (due out later this year) comes "First Strike" and the battle to slow the Covanent's advance towards Earth.

Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers... in all honesty if you have seen the movie... hold on to your butts because the movie was a waste of time. Ignore everything you learned in the movie about the battles against the arachnids and be prepared to find a deep look at society and how we may be viewd from a future perspective. It is far more than just a bug squishing good time.

For those that are searching for something, "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" a book by Dan Millman. This book is a sotry about a persons outlook not only at the world around them but the world within them. Dont let the title fool you the battle the warriors go on is not a physical one, but one of the mind. One word describes this book, Powerful.

"Whatever You Say I Am" a biography of a man a lot of people hate peak on, but love to talk about. It is a book about none other than The Life and Times of Eminem. Don't judge this book by its cover. Anthony Bozza (author of the book and comumnist for Rolling Stone Mag.) dives deep not only into Marshal Mathers life, but into the past present and future of America as seen through the eyes of R&B/Hip Hop and the rest of the music industry. This book puts things that I never thought of before into a very interesting and humorus point of view.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Neverwhere, both books of a sort of modern fantasy. Just two overwhelming novels by one of the most interesting authors of our time. All sorts of loud colors and pretty sounds take your imagination to the fullest in these two books. I highly reccomend them no matter what type of book you like to read, even if you don't like to read I still suggest you pick these books up.

I hope this isnt too much to juggle and I cant wait to hear what others think of these books and others suggestions of good books to read.

MrDremember
15 posts

Posted:
I didn't realise that 'Starship Troopers' was a book first, sounds good i may have to read it.
As for my reccomendation, I think everyone should read 'Slaughterhouse Five' by Kurt Vonnegut.
It's incredible, horrific, poigniant, shocking and hilarious, all at the same time. don't want to say too much about it, you should just read it.

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

Another movie that was a waste of time, but a fabulous book was "BattleField Earth"
I know, I know, the movie was pathetic and the the book is written by the founder of scientology, but the book is actually fabulous, it was (surprisingly) the best read i had in ages ubbrollsmile

(BTW, I liked Starship troopers, i know its a bit of a worry, but it appealled to me on some level redface )

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Storming Heaven by jay Stevens

Topical, unbiased investigative account of LSd (and some others psychedelics) from it's discovery, sythesis, introduction to society and progression to maintsteam from the 30's or so until the early 80's. It's a massive book and Jay must have owrked his ass off just to locate the folks he interviewed along the way never mind put it all together. It needed reading twice due to the sheer amount of info and various names but was a fantastic book that flowed like a story.

l8rs biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
If you're looking for a book you wouldn't normally pick up you should try "Join Me" by Danny Wallace (Co-Author of Are you Dave Gorman?)

I don't want to give too much of the plot away in case anyone decides to read it. I think a line in the blurb on the back sums it up pretty well...

"A book about dreams, ambition and the responsibility that comes with power, JOIN ME is the true story of a man who created a cult by accident, and is proof that whilst some men were born to lead, others really haven't got a clue...."

Danny now has a following of over 6000 Joinees around the world who do Random Acts of Kindness (raoks) for complete strangers each and ever friday. So next time someone does something nice for you on a Friday, you might have been raok'd by one of Danny's Karma Army! biggrin

If you like the sound of it but don't want to read the book, there's more info at his website... www.joinme.info smile

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
books....
i like books, they are my best friends....
(being a history/politics student that is sort of a necessity)

but i read two great books lately:
firstly
"things fall apart" by Chinua Achebe
The author is african and he wrote a novel about an african tribal society. its quite good cause he doesnt romanticise it, and he has a broad insight in the society he writes about. Also it deals with the western culture entering it. but not in the conventional sence. he writes about how the cultures clashed without really blaming anybody. He doesnt point fingers, wich would be quite easy to do, in my opinion.

secondly:
"slaughterhouse- five" by Kurt Vonnegut
its absolutely hilarious. vonnegut mixes a war novel, sci-fi, and the life of a really messed up bloke into a truly good read. its partly based on his expierience in world war 2. i dont want to give anything away, but trust me its a very good read.

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
at the risk of pissing everyone off - there have been extensive book threads in the past...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Another book that I am currently reading, "Peace Kills" (America's Fun New Iperialisim) By P. J. O'Rourke... I have yet to determine if it is a pro-war or anti-war, left wing or right wing book. All I do know is that the author is opening doors to a very new way of looking at America for me. From the eyes of ordinary people in some ordinary middle easteren countries. It talks about America's Forgine Policy and definatly has one of my new favorite quotes of all times,

"Americans hate foreign policy... Americans hate foreign policy because Americans hate foreigners... Americans hate foreigners because Americans are foreigners..."

It makes sence in some obscure way, I dunno perhaps you have to be American to understand why something so crazy would actually make sence.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
yeah there have been book threads before, but people have read new stuff since then and have new stuff to contribute, which im about to do:

anything but Kurt Vonnegut, "The Breakfast of Champions" is very good, and his short stories too

"Generation X " i dont know if its really a good book, but i really enjoyed it, its very much about the concept that you choose how you live and what you do

The "His dark materials" trilogy, dont let the kiddy book lable stop you, it much more than that, farily nervy too, it attacks the church quiet a bit, and the limits of what children can do

enjoy>

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Ooh, book thread!!! smile

Right, I just finished reading "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk: if you liked the film you'll love the book - be warned it's quite a bit rougher than the film though, i found myself going "EEW!!!" quite regulargly....

And now I'm reading "The way to paradise" by Mario Vargas Llosa, and I find it completely fascinating: It's fiction, but it's about two historical figures, early worker's and women's rights activist Flora Tristan, and her grandson, the artist Paul Gauguin. It follows them both in alternate chapters in the final years of their lives, and looks back over their past. I didn't know much about either of them (hadn't ever heard of Flora Tristan in fact) but i find myself running to the computer to look up paintings by Gauguin as they come up in the book, and wanting to read Flora Tristan's books.... Vargas Llosa's style is fantastic, you find yourself sympathising so strongly with the characters even if they bear little to no relation to who you are and your outlook on life.....

right, running off to read smile

everyone's unique except me

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
hey, i recently read "lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk, very good, but sad a creepy as well, i want to read "Choke" by him as well

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
OK, after searching for "book" threads, I have decided to ressurect this one as I am going to be at the beach for 2 of the 4 weeks in September. While not applying sunblock, spinning, playing bocce on the beach, biking, running, playing silly games or eating, I'll be reading and then reading some more, so I am looking for good beach read suggestions...something enjoyable, not too much work or thinking involved and a real page turner. Any help???

Thanks!!! sunny

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Also on the subject of books, here is:

www.bookcrossing.com
"Books must be released!"

Basically, you sign up, and when you've read a book, you can put a note in it and leave it somewhere. You tell bookcrossing where you've left the book so that others can come and pick it up.

On the website, there's a journal for each book, saying who has picked it up where (eg in pubs or cafes), and you can see how far it's travelled smile

You also get emails saying where people are going to leave books in your town, and the website has a list of places in your town where people have left books.

The US and UK have quite a lot of members, so maybe I'll get a chance to actually find one of the books.

I've just signed up today as "bikaga", if anyone wants to join, be my friend and have a very cool chance of reading random books that you'd not have looked for in a shop or library, go ahead and sign up biggrin

Jerry, no idea what you'd like to read... any genres or authors you like?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

www.bookcrossing.com
"Books must be released!"

That sounds like an awesome idea!! I will definitely check that out. Thanks.

I like a wide variety of stuff, probably easier to tell you what I don't care for. Not crazy about dry history or cheesy romance novels. Haven't read sci-fi/fantasy in a LONG time, but not oppsed to it. Oh, and my fav author is Tom Robbins.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
okay... in that case (and since I don't know Tom Robbins) I recommend John Irving for novels, James Herbert for mystery/horror (Once was quite nice), and Dave Duncan and Tad Williams for fantasy smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If you like a bit of paranormal style stuff with sarcastic overtones, humorous undertones, sexy scenes and craploads of action try the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton

They are completely fun, engrossing and mindless reads that go quick but make you want to read the next one. AND they are available in paperback, so they are portable as well. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Fantasy: I am such a buff of this Genre. I think it's probably best if I say Authors rather than books. It'll save space. wink

David Gemmel
Trudi Canavan
Terry Pratchett
R.A. Salvatore
Kevin J. Anderson: (Especially "Ressurection Inc.")
Philip Pullman
Christopher Paolini: "Eragon" and "Eldest". These are the only 2 books he's written so far, but give the guy a break, he's only 19... Good books for teenage guys.
Patrick Tilley ("The Amtrak Wars" series)
Terry Brooks
Neil Gaimen
Aldous Huxley: A Brave New World.

These are just a few SF&F authors that are amazing. There are plenty more... go search for them!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

If you like a bit of paranormal style stuff with sarcastic overtones, humorous undertones, sexy scenes and craploads of action try the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton

They are completely fun, engrossing and mindless reads that go quick but make you want to read the next one. AND they are available in paperback, so they are portable as well. wink

Yay... another Anita Blake fan. biggrin Although the last two seemed to be one long orgy which was a bit of a shame. Less censoreding and more killing on my opinion.

Another great series is the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I am a Paulo Coehlo fan, everyone should read The Alchemist, and Veronika Decides to Die. The Devil and Miss Prym is also amazing.
Mist God, This is Anna, by Fynn is a fantastic true story and it's a definite must read.
Lucky and The Lovely Bones are also top notch. Get those glasses out and have a read! (Obviously all the harry potter novels....brilliant!) ubbrollsmile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ooooh yes, The Lovely Bones was quite good smile

I wanted to read the Alchemist aaaaages ago and completely forgot, thanks a lot for reminding me biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
if you're a paulo coelho fan i can also highly recommend,"by the river piedra i sat down and wept"...if you havn't already read it of course!!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i've already read all the paulo coelho's! I got the collection, don't you know!! he's bloody awesome. I highly reccommend "Life" which is a collection of some paragraphs of his work. awesome.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Of mariagable age- Sharon Maas.

This one follows the lives of three characters from when they are young and follows them through life and shows eventually how their lives intertwine. Its set in india and challenges the cast system. Not the kind of book I would normally read, and I picked it up quite by accident, but its defenitly a diamond.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
"Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke.

Stuggle between two magicians in the 19th century.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
I am a Palahniuk/Vonnegut fan, and while the books mentioned are fairly good, my favorites are Haunted and The Sirens of Titan. The sirens is a very poignant novel, I cried at the end, and thats pretty rare for me. Haunted, while a good novel, is pretty gross, so dont attempt this one if you have a weak constitution.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I don't read as many novels as I'd like these days due to having the attention span of a nat, no long periods of time to myself and spending all my money on comic books and graphic novels...(For research porposes, obviously)

When I did read I used to love the work of Poppy Z Brite. Probably in retrospect the type of book Anne Rice fans will lap up (I dunno, I've never read Anne Rice). Very dark horror romance exquisitily written and evocative of her native New Orleans.

Best books

'Lost Souls'
'Drawing Blood'
'Exquisite Corpse'

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i just started reading margaret atwood's the handmaids tale, it very engrossing i got through the first 75 pages on the train today... but i have stacks of book still to read, i had a bit of a phase of wanting to read so many books and have thus built up a backlog...

other books, that i recall were rather enjoyable:

gormenghast, by mervyn peake - classic fantasy, very long and starts off quite hardgoing but gets good in the end...

virgin suicides by jeffrey eugenides - one of a very few books i've actually read twice another one being...

good omens by terry pratchett and neil gaiman. biggrin

eye (i think it's called) is a collection of short stories by roald dahl - very dark... and uh, noticing a bit of a theme there in the darkness sense.... hmmm...

oh yeah, round ireland with a fridge by tony hawks and playing the moldovans at tennis - it's funny because it's true... biggrin

and probably some others... that i have temporarily forgotten...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Demian- Herman Hesse...

..recommended to be by a friend....a hard read....but amazing. Everyoneshould read this book at some point in their life.

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
one book i couldnt put down was 'a child called it' by dave pelzer. its a true story i believe and its shocking! some of the things in it are horrible ( its about how he was abused as a child) but i couldnt nput it down because i wanted to know what happened to him. its a 'happy ending' kind of book which is good. i just couldnt put it down, but i couldnt tell you whether i liked it or not, just really wanted to know what happened to the boy.

agree with whoever was talking about the lovely bones, but not read lucky... want to though!

i have been reccomended 'last man standing' by David Baldacci. anyone read this?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
anything by frank peretti
poisonwood bible by barbara kingsolver

(i was intrigued by handmaids tail)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

just finished,

William Gibson - "All tommorow parties"

This book is from cyberpunk literature genre

form W.Gibson that is and sci-fi writer,

staying outside author's bestsellers

of the late 90s(*).

:R

ps: Second english book I've ever read.