_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
why don't you have ones at the shop?
they'll look very pretty.
I'm hoping to get a pair if you'll make them.

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
hi i have a pair
i took the leds from the light stick at the shop from this site they are very bright and its a mix of blue and white light
i make a picture tonight and post it tomorrow
the only thing is you have to solder every led + pole to the + pole at the bateries and all the - poles to the - poles on the batery not led to led then to batery hope you understand
grets steve

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I understand but I suck at electronics so I don't want to blow away too much money...

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
i dont understand that much in electronics and you only have to buy 8 light sticks from the shop
use them and when they are damaged build them in your beamers! ubblove
they are realy lovely

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I belive,

Differnt colour LEDs use different amounts of power to make them light up. Red and Yellow are good colours as they dont use too much power. The problem with Blue LEDs is that they require more power, and due to this,wouldnt be able to run off AA betteries. If the batteries were changed, theymould have to be bigger, nad heavier, resulting in even more injuries.

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
yes i thougt that to but they run with 2AA bateries and the bateries last about 30 hours

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Its probably a higher current that is needed to power the blue ones and not power instead then.

smile

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
fairly typical voltage specs.

White 3.2-3.6
Blue 3.2-3.6
Green 3.2-3.6
Red 1.9-2.3
Yellow 1.9-2.3

I run everything at 3.6v but if the LED looks brighter than it should I resist the current down a bit. Lots of people don't do this and the LEDs survive just fine.

HTH.
peace

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
size A23 batteries come from wal-mart for $1 each, they put out 12 volts and hold enough ma/h to run rat shack blue leds for a very long time if you resist them down to 3.5 volts. they're also very very small.

might be a consideration to avoid the heavy double a's

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

size A23 batteries come from wal-mart for $1 each, they put out 12 volts and hold enough ma/h to run rat shack blue leds for a very long time if you resist them down to 3.5 volts. they're also very very small.

might be a consideration to avoid the heavy double a's

Now, thinking back to my GCSE and A-level Physics... I thought you couldnt resist power (volts)? I thought you could only resist the current (amps).

Am i mistaken?

confused

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I need to get my grandfather on this project. He's an electrical genius. I'm sure I could give him a pair of beamers and some rav'ns, and he could return them in the form of Rav'n beamers!

But seriously, someone with good electronics knowledge should be able to make light up poi balls that look cool. Other than ridiculously expensive stuff like aerotech makes.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Its a shame that noone around [Old link] can do anything like that....

wink

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
v = i * r

v = voltage (in Volts)
i = current (in Amps)
r = Resistance (in Ohms)

...oh, and for stupidly bright LEDs, take a look here (if you're in the UK). There's 4 blue each in my Poi :

Non-Https Image Link

...now imagine all that light concentrated into a 'lil beamer eek

Cake or Death?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Now, thinking back to my GCSE and A-level Physics... I thought you couldnt resist power (volts)? I thought you could only resist the current (amps).

Am i mistaken?

[physics mode]
power is measured in watts.
voltage in volts.
power is a product of current flowing through a component and the volatge across it.
so by decreasing the current you decrease the power. weather you add the resistor in seris or paralle with the LED depends on weather the voltage across the LED will be altered aswell...

[/physics mode]

thought id put you straight on that smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

loopy78member
7 posts
Location: Newquay, Cornwall (combine harvister land Oo ar Oo...

Posted:
Can somebody tell me how to make these? I had a couple of LED light sticks from the shop but they have been used & abused and only lasted a couple of nights (didnt even manage to get outside) a couple of the LEDs still work though and I would like to maybe buy some bright LEDs and make beamers like Fire Geek above as his picture is amazing.

Ps. I'm not to clever with electrics so can the instructions be for a Science/Maths dummy please ubbangel

Go on go on go on go on (Mrs Dingle from Father Ted stylee) biggrin hug