PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Many things in spinning are automatic to me now. It is not so much of a challenge as a flow, and so, I can get bored with poi. I did not know this until tonight. In doing so I realised I really like the sound of spinning. I like Buzz poi more than Comets because they make more noise. I like fire better than any because of the noise. Flags rustle in the wind. LED's when swung fast enough make this nifty wooshy sound. I tried swinging my sons sock poi and there was no sound. It felt empty and lacking. I got bored, gave up and did something else. I realised that the sound of spinning feels very much like a heartbeat or a breath. The slow parts are the whisper of a sigh while the harder, faster parts are the adrenal pumping motivation to go on. It is a life music in and unto itself, and without it, there seemed like a void in the action.
Huh. Just thought I would share.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Pele,
I'd have to agree with you on that one, I too do get bored of poi, and pretty much just practice before I need to perform, The noise doesnt do so much for me, its more spinning to a new song that Im feeling that gets me going...
But since I got a bi bored of poi, Ive moved onto staff,,,its more fulfilling as its something new for me to learn

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
I totally agree Pele!
I can't wait for winter.. i'm hanging out to go spinning in the eerily beautiful silence which only happens when it starts to snow really heavily. The sound would be amazing!... mmmm, snowtwirling
Has anyone tried this??

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to learn doubles... and I'm no longer bored of the same old same old... of course it not easy... fallout boy can back me up on that one...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Snow twirling wow!

I have only been to the snow once! And never actually seen it fall! Sunny Australia (I love it though)

Pele, I love the sound of fire. Mostly I can't hear it for the drums, which really gets the fiery groove going, but when there's no music or drumming, the pure sound of the roaring fire, whirling round me is pure Magic!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
puts hand up
umm moon pixie, fallout boy lives in melbourne so he also lives in australia... it snows down here in places... I'll be there... we should make a trip of it... who up for a road trip... I'll need someone to drive me... so who's up for it???

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Well... I've nearly got my driver's licence!
And ye' I know it does snow somewhere here... I must be walking around with my eyes closed or something... No, the one time I went to the snow, was the Snowy Mountains when I was about 10yrs old or so... but it never acually snowed when we were there. I think it's something I must acheive in this life time. Seeing real live snow flakes!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ya, i'm pretty sick of spinning too. Actually it's not sick of spinning, it's just boring to practice hours on end. Remember when you could practice for 5 hours straight and still have fun?

I then went on to staff, but found learning that wasn't as fullfilling as learning poi was. Now, i'm learning different styles of dance which are just incredibly challenging and have my interest.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
road trip to the snow! yeeeeeaaaaaahh! Im in!
i have my licence, but would NEVER even dare taking my car to the snow! barely gets me to school and back each day! I know what you mean pele, about the noise. After the first time i lit up, i was full of inspiration to go home and learn more on my practice poi. whn i picked them up, it just wasnt the same. It was a feeling of dissapointment, that something i love has let me down , so to make it more interesting at home, i play with new music and when i find a great song to twirl to its just as satisfying

Fire... A bushmans telly

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
my 2¢...

I think that the boredom comes from decrease in the rate that you learn new moves as you go on. I mean, when you start off, you can pick up five new moves in two weeks. It's exciting and fun. But as time goes on it gets harder and harder to hit new stuff, and it requires actual work, not just messing about. I've been working on the BTB weaves for weeks now...I can do them both, but only for a couple of beats, and I know that it'll take a lot of hard work to clean it up to the point its seamless. Same with the 5b rev weave and 4b windmill. That's how something that's addictive and fun can quickly become hard work.

And work is boring. We all know that.

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
Learning a new instrument is always refreshing.
I only use devil stick torches right now. I once started teaching myself the staff, but, it broke.

None the less, If picking up a new tool isn't the answer to growing bored of ones current instrument of choice, I would say that finding new levels to enjoy them on would be the next option.

FInd the hidden reason you chose this as you implement of firey enlightenment.

Visit your local cattle farm, late at night or early in the morning, and inspect the dung at the tree line. Wisdom there lies.
(just don't get slapped in the arse with a big pellet of rock salt)

Strive to reach an understanding of the shamanistic purposes for combining Fire with Drums and the applicable secrets hidden within the circle "O" and the infinite "OO" .

The hypnotic effects of swirling flame around you in circular motion is not an accident, nor a side effect, but in fact, closer to the centre of the reason you were ever involved in the ritual in the first place.
You get taken through different levels of trance brainwave patterns. You are tapping into the collective subconscience.

I would say, find a really talented, psychedelically oriented bunch of drummers and start tapping in more often.

see you in the dome.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I guess I've confronted the boredom issue as well. I don't practice as regularly as I once did--not that I necessarily don't need to.

I've dealt with it by starting with the staff (though I hurt my thumb a week ago, and had to lay off a bit, though my poi was unaffected). But also, I've been trying to tackle moves that I just never bothered with before. And that does help keep poi fresh.

Another thing that does is just having a really good light-up and getting positive feedback on it every once in a while.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
IM UP FOR A ROAD TRIP!!!!!! i think you should all come down to lovely cold taz and we can go twirling on benlomond! either that or i get to go on a wicked holiday to the mainland!!!!

the sound of fire, there is nothing like it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...thanks for the feedback everyone.

I actually only get bored when there is no sound. I train all the time, and still enjoy it. I push myself very hard, and I love every minute of it.

I also am attempting devil stix and diablo's. I am doing well at staff and the rope, and all my other concoctions. I was simply amazed to see how much the sound of the tools are ingrained into me now, where it once wasn't.

Reading through this thread I now can understand the usefulness of a "beat the boredom" discussion!
Thanks! It's good to feel not alone.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmm, bored with spinning, im going through that phase right now, however, im on the verge of lighting up for my first time, so hopefully that should renew intrest

(after two years of staff and a year and a half of poi, its about time)

poi has become really dull for me, im down to just transfering stuff to behind my back, and thats not that much fun...

staff is still interesting, because i feel i still have so much further to go in it...

i dunno, its weird, i know i still have tons to learn, but it feels like i dont...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I guess I'm in the same boat as most of y'all. I know that to get to the "next level" for me will require some very minor but important adjustments and certainly isn't as much fun as learning "new tricks"... Once you've learned every move on the HoP list there aren't any purely new tricks [read the next sentence before you flame me]. There certainly are millions of variants on those tricks but nothing's as exciting as learning the weave/corkscrew/butterfly for the first time [see, I had a valid point].

The only positive thing that most of y'all are forgetting is the social aspect of what we all do, which is important too. The fact that I can get on a plane and come spin with any of you is quite a cool phenomenon. There's only so much you can learn in a vacuum and it's much more fun to learn with others too..

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You know, NYC, there really are only 3 moves with poi: the circle, the crossover, and the wrap. Everything is a variation or combination of those. Once you've got those three down, the rest gets kinda boring.

Seriously, though--I think that even for people who have mastered a big repertoire of moves, there's still a lot of novelty in any given apparatus. I recently choreographed a synchro routine to be performed with one other guy, and learning to do certain moves a certain way so that we would stay on-sync was quite an interesting exercise. This is just one example--I'm sure there are other ways to keep it interesting.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How about a superstaff megapoi wrap flip of death?

(Maybe a joke, maybe not

Just though it would be cool is someone doing staff held it horizontal and a poi'er wrapped both poi heads just inside the staff wicks.

Then there's all sorts of things you could do, a mock fight, lindyhop type swinging moves, paired dancing, or even a dangerous game of leapfrog...?

Or not...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Lindyhop... hrmmmm... I used to lindyhop. I even got a zoot suit.

I'm just not quite sure how to incorporate the two. My styles of swing and fire are polar opposite. Then again, with firetwirlers becoming a dime a dozen it might be nice to have a gimmic.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]