graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
How do u enterpret stalls into your poi weaves/transactions?
anyone got any basic exsampoles for me to try. i have seen a few stalls used before but im very new to it

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
quote:
"How do u enterpret stalls into your poi weaves/transactions? "

rolleyes confused weavesmiley
This question makes no sense to me,
explainifiorocate or editerize please

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i would assume `incorperate` would be the word he was looking for

so, how do you incorperate stalls into your routine....

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
pls excuse my ignorance - but what do you mean by 'stalls'?

meditate

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Stopping one/both poi completely dead. i.e. start doing forward TTN, as right hand is on top bring the right poi over the left arm and down so it ends up stalled hanging there, then bring it back the other way and go into a weave.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
yes i ment that
yes im a she
and does anyone have anyother exsamples of how to use them? ubbrollsmile

in to the eye of another

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
thankx spiral!!

i think i do them accidently! stalls, i mean!! wierd... biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

and does anyone have anyother exsamples of how to use them? ubbrollsmile

use them to suprise people. if you can managed to get the stalled poi perfecltly horizontal, and you sort of punch through at it, look at it like you dont know why it stopped when its stopped, and then resume spinning.

i find that is pretty unexpected thing to happen to poi if youre not used to watching poi. and it tends to make people smile.

ubbidea

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
sounds good,

i was wondering if there are really good moves u can create with stalls. AS i know none does anyone know of any? biggrin

in to the eye of another

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
*racks brains*

a search may revel some cool ones...

first thing that came to my mind though:

from forewards weave, on transition from right to left, so right hand leading, stall right poi between your legs. follow it with the left poi, so they kinda of stall in split time, one after the other, youre now spinning backwards. bring each poi to its own side.

still in split time, now do the same kind of thing again, between youre legs from behind, and youll be going foreward again.

dont think ive expalined that very clearly. but just go play and see what happens really smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
They're handy for transitions. You can use them like a wrap.

If you want to go from weave to butterfly weave, a stall of one poi while keeping the other going is an easy way to do it. It looks pretty cool if you keep stopping poi and turn round while you're doing it.

From butterfly to butterfly in the other direction can be quite nice, stall both poi and then start back. Stalling them so they're in almost exactly the same place looks quite odd.

Someone at poi in the park started off weaving, did a stall with one poi behind her over the opposite shoulder and then turned round and spun butterfly weave behind her and kept doing that, which looked quite cool, kind of like a constantly falling over the shoulder motion or something.

I like stalling both between the legs, looks dangerous with fire, is really easy. You can vary this by doing a sort of non-turning version, stand facing forwards, turn your body (but not your feet) to the right, poi under the legs from the right, bring them high up over your head, turn body left, poi under the legs from the left.

If you've got really short poi and a deathwish, you can stall them right in front of your nose, again this is pretty much a perceived danger move. If you learn this, don't try it with someone else's poi, they'll not be quite the same length.

Joe

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Double stalls are fun too. From a windmill you can still one poi high pointing downwards and the other poi low pointing upwards so the heads meet in the middle and you get a big straight line.

Or go from reverse TTN/butterfly, stall both horizontally so each head is by the opposite hand and go straight into an isolation.

Or from TTN turn 90 degrees, stall one poi inside your arms and go straight into isolated buzzsaw.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

When u think one of your hand is tired do stall and continue with other one wink

POI THEO(R)IST

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
To change weave direction totally I like doing a double stall straight out of and airwrap biggrin

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ahh, that reminds me of a good one spiral..isolated forward butterfly to a double stall. For a decent combo I then stall from the reverse butterfly, arms out, then bring the right poi btl, then the left on the next revolution.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
basically grace, you can stop the poi anywhere around your body into and out of almost any move. to get the poi to stop just follow the poi head's path with your hand to take the momentum out of the circle you're spinning.... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
a nice stall (this can also go into a wrap depending on how brave/stupid/drunk/high you are) is go into the butterfly stick one of your elbows out so that the poi in the opposing hand goes round the upper arm of the "elbow" arm. When this poi stops swing both poi in the same direction as the poi that should still be moving. From this you can chase the sun, corksrew or do the same wrap on the other arm, in which case when the poi stops and you unwrap you should find yourself in the reverse butterfly. This is sweet with fire poi, but take care kids that you can handle hot chains and if you are using an ethanol - boric acid fuel ware long sleaves!!! Was this what you asked for?

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

TuTuManBRONZE Member
Mushroom Fueled Frenzy
139 posts

Posted:
stall right hand in front of you while left hand does behind the back butter fly.. switch hands. It takes a while to get the momentum right from the stalled poi to transition into behind the back butterfly but it looks cool

::::does a little monkey man dance::::
You'll understand when you see his dancing feet

Vestergaardstranger
22 posts

Posted:
Wow, another improvement to my repetoire. Thnx

Chr

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Generally I consider stalls to be very inelegant ways to perform a change in momentum direction. I have seen few people who actually make a stall look nice in their routine. The few that did actually managed to make it look really nice (Cassandra is one of those few), but usually I think the spinner would have been better off using another, more fluid method of incorperating a momentum change.

I'm not telling you to avoid stalls altogether, I'm just saying you should put a lot of effort into making them interesting if you do use them. while they are a fairly basic move, they take a lot of work to make them look anything other than basic.

But that is only an opinion - feel free to disregard.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

Generally I consider stalls to be very inelegant ways to perform a change in momentum direction. I have seen few people who actually make a stall look nice in their routine.

Dom makes em look good. He's put quite a bit of effort into them.

The nice thing about stalls with fire is that, if done right, they will flare up a bit when they stop.

I'm gonna try to channel Dom's influence and incorporate some stalls and grabs into my fire routine. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, you're right, dom does have his stalls down pretty good

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
If you can thred the needle, you can do this one.....once you have your right arm out in frount, and before your left arm ends up wraping, just kind of let your right poi drop, then once you have your left out frount, start the right one and stop the left.....i have been working on stalls to weavesmileyo and i have found that my let always over rotates, so if you figure out how to not do that part let me know ok ..... devil devil

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
you kknow whats really cool you butterfly the drop on poi over your other hand and let it hang then pull it up and grab it then take it over you arm then under it then throw it up throw the plain of ur butterfly and start the buterfly again

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
FRYED FISH>>>>

that made no sense to me.....could you please elaborate or come over here and show me>....

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
grasshoppah>>>>>

yes ill show you (as soon as you can take this POI from my hand grasshoppah)

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
*busts out the rod of resurrection*

people talk about the upward stall being the hardest.. I concur, but I think that inside upward stalls are the harder..

anybody got any good tips for stalls? I normaly try to follow the poi with my hand, which yields pretty straight stalls.. but you cant exactly do that with the inisde upward stall, so I'm hoping maybe someone else has a nifty method..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*busts out the resurrected rod of resurrection*
*awaits smutty comment* wink

I've been trying to figure out if it's possible to do a horizontal stall which comes from the bottom centre of the pattern to the right/left side, sort of like an overarm horizontal?

I'm trying to work out a double stall from butterfly flowers to each side. Any tips?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
hummmmm nope smile (th he runns off sniggereing at my total lack of unhelpfullness)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)