MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive been wanting to get some clothes that express my love for fire spinning. Today I bought a shirt that has the "flammable" symbol on it which I really like. I also plan on getting a shirt made that has a picture similar to my icon on it. Does anyone have any similar clothes and/or know of any websites that sell anything along these lines?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

erikaMishBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
i guess at those t-shirt stores, where they iron-on things on...well...t-shirts! you could ask them to iron the icon on your skirt or jean or whatever.
speaking of clothes... what's the best material to wear while spinning fire? i usually wear jeans and any shirt... but sometimes i'm wearing other fabrics and i'm not sure how hazardous it can be. does anyone know which fabrics i should avoid wearing when i use fire? (not to change the original topic here!) hehe.

erikaMishBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
oh, i forgot to mention what i was gonna say to begin with.... at those t-shirt shops, sometimes you can print the picture you want and they'll iron it on for you, so i would think you could print your icon and have it on a shirt. and now that i think about it.... one time i saw this software that you can print the picture you want on this special paper that comes with the software, and you iron it on yourself! biggrin

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I already know how to get my shirt made. Im friends with someone who does screen printing so I can get a real shirt, not that iron on crap. Im really just looking for websites and speciffic clothes that I might like.

As for your question, Erica, natural fabrics are all the rage in the fire performance biz. Cotton or wool is really it. Anything synthetic is likely to melt.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Jeans are probably some of the best pants for twirling, and definitely stay away from nearly all the synthetics. there is a post somewhere in here that has all that, or there is an article about the place, i think, that actually has times for stuff to catch on fire etc. Have a browse through the articles.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Cotton is good for fire spinning.

nylon and polyester are VERY bad for fire spinning.

silk is not too great, as it damages easily from fire, but at least you won't get molten plastic all over you like with polyester or nylon (the stuff is like napalm!)

wool stinks if you singe it.

cotton with a little spandex material in it is safe enough, though again easy to damage since the heat can melt the elastic.

pure cotton clothing is you best bet all around.

My favorite T-shirt to spin in has a flaming 8 ball on it. But usually I spin sans shirt.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Denim!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned leather yet...Definitely the most flammable proof of the materials listed so far, but also the hottest, so if you are heading into summer right now, leather pants might not be the best option. I do have a tiny leather top that I wear only in the summers though, so they do exist and can be quite sexy. I found mine at a local renaissance fair.

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
i have been making my own performance clothes for a few years now, for many different occasion's. There are a few things which i do to collect the right materials.

1) If you have any theatre's near your can ask them for off cuts, or for their suppliers number, as all clothes they make have to be fire proof to past regulations.

2) To got with the fire regulations thing, use couch coverings, you should be able to find a store that sells material to make covers, and also curtains. I usually find stuff that you probably wouldnt want on your couch so it is reduced, but it looks good as clothes.

There probably is more, but alot has already been said. If u want more help just send me a mail. i'll be more than happy.

ubbrollsmile

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

erikaMishBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
everyone, thank you so much for your advice!!! i'll keep all this in mind biggrin

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
or join your local Volunteer Fire department and buy a t-shirt.

apparently the flames dancing off the back of the Susanville Fire Department emblem screened on the back of my t-shirt look really neet. and it's 100% cotton. weavesmiley

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, I found something neat today in my random searches on this topic. I found a website that lets people upload pictures and they will make clothes and other stuff with those pictures on them. Then they give you your own online shop with those items in it and I can sell my stuff getting a small percentage of the profits.

Spent a lil bit of time making up some pictures to fit on this stuff and made a shop so I figured Id share. My shop is at:

https://www.cafeshops.com/poigeek

Its pretty interesting. Im actually buying one of my shirts hehe, anyone else feel free to purchase one also smile

[EDIT] PS - Oh, and since Im already advertising my store, I might as well ask a favor... If you just happen to make an account to make your own stuff, please use my store ID "poigeek" when it asks for your referance smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

erikaMishBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
that is awesome!!! congratulations! i will definately buy one of your shirts next time i have my wallet near by ubblol
but they look great... your icon is way cool.

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
on a simular plug, my band has a shop there!

fracsure shop

Yay

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ok ICON, coza does prints on thongs - and I know someone who needs a poi geek thong. you might have a sale if it is reasonably priced...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Poi Geek Thong coming up smile

One thing though, I gotta get a picture or video of it in action since I cant get one of my own biggrin

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I've never had a good experince with ironing something on a shirt. Has anyone else?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, I got the thong made up with the poi guy on the front and a lil "Poi Geek" logo on the back. Should look nice. I have the price set at 7.99 which is as low as the site lets me go. Get em while they're hot girls ubblol

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

eeekmember
38 posts

Posted:
nice shirts, but one question:

why do you use white shirts? if you ask me the best colour for fire is black

maybe i am still a beginner? wink

well, i just don't like black marks on my cloths. once i even burned the structure of my wicks in a white t shirt, i still have the marks in it

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, first off, you cant make black shirts on that website (at least using the free shop) so Im stuck with white. Also, even if ya could sell black shirts, I prolly wouldnt want to since my original design was grey on white. The same design in white on black would probably look too boring. Lastly, just cuz these shirts are poi related doesnt necessarily mean you have to wear em while spinning. If ya wanna keep em nice, wear something else, or even a sweater/hoodie over top of it.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
BUMP

Cool, I so want this one

[image]
Non-Https Image Link
[/image]

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
thats cool joe where did you see that

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Recently, I've taken to wearing nothing but black when going out to spin with friends. It's received some positive comments, mainly along the lines of it being easier to focus on what my poi are doing, rather than on what I'm doing.

Cotton is the material that every fire spinner has recommended to me so far and style-wise, I quite like the look of some of the Nepalese clothes you find up in the markets around Camden.

It may stop, but it never ends.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PyroWill

thats cool joe where did you see that

I just came across that one, it's here: https://www.cafepress.com/tribalburn