Deviant HPCmember
21 posts

Posted:
Greetings All...

Hope all is well... There is a question on my mind.... What is more impressive VISUALLY!!!
Fire or some wicked LED equipment??
I keep on getting stuck between the two...
On the one hand I keep saying that fire looks
the craziest then when I see my strobing Led
toys AAHHHH.... ITS HAPPENING AGAIN!!

Deviant
headfunk.fsnet.co.uk

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
AHHHHHH!!!! stop repeating posts!!!!!

ok now that I have that off my chest... I believe led... but mainly under black lights or stobes, but again nothing beats those fumes, those blacking pants that just so can never clean, and the speeding up the hair loss factor... gotta love it ...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
i believe it depends on the state of mind of those watching. I've seen people smile endlessly and drool over LED's, of course, they did the same with the lights off, too.
you do get pretty cool sound effects with fire, though. there's nothing as impressive as watching nature's destroyer/rebuilder. something primitive

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I think most people are more impressed with fire. cause you know they're just waiting for you to light yourself on fire. but if I was going on what looks better visually, I would say LEDs. not just on the end though. for proper effects you need to have at least 4 or 5 spaced up the length of your chain/string. if its not like that then fire looks better.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For an audience fire because of the danger and wow factor. For me I like both alot but visually I think the LED's are far more head trippy. The light seems to linger longer in my vision and bend weirder. It isn't really a question of what I like more, just which fits my world better, if that makes sense.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
IMHO, it all depends on the crowd, what they are there for, whether you are centre stage, what their background is etc etc etc.

I would say fire for almost all audiences of over 10 people, who don't know much about spinning or other fire arts.

I would say glo (whatever form) for those who undertsand spinning or for groups of under ten who don't know much about spinning or fire arts.

If you want to impress John Doe, he won't see the moves as much as the scary fire.

If you want to show off your moves to others who may appreciate them, try for glow.

And of course, glow for a sideshow where you aren't the main attraction, such as in a club, etc etc...

All in my completely in-experienced opinion...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
...Moderately confused as to why Pele and Charles are getting into the Nteenth fire vs. glow discussion...

[shrugs]

Sparkly poi.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing you are hinting at the fact that we seem to both do a lot more fire than anything else.

This is definitely the case for me (I don't do glow at the moment unless you count juggling balls).

However, that wasn't the question at the beginning of this thread.

It was
quote:
What is more impressive VISUALLY!
This translates itself into what-do-the-onlookers-think, rather than a what-do-YOU-prefer question.

In my case, I pay almost complete attention to the crowd and feel i have a reasonable understanding of what is entertaining to "lay-people" as opposed to what is entertaining for spinners.

If I'm doing fire and no-one is interested, I'll sometimes even stop completely and start a comedy routine with a watermelon and whoopee cushion!

Certainly for me, the end result is to entertain the masses, not necessarily to be "pure" firie...Or a "pure" balloon sculptor...Or a "pure" juggler...Or a "pure" unicyclist...Or a "pure" stand-up poet etc etc etc

Maybe this is why I have so many stupid hobbies...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Amen Charles.

I think here the fire is a novelty. To see it doen even remotely well (read: other than by ignorant bartenders) it is very entrancing, even for one person. There are more people here who glow than fire (club scene type thing), so again, fire is more impressive. But this goes to show it is also a location based thing. If fire is on every corner, and glow reserved for clubs, then glow well done may be more impressive to the masses.
In the end if my dancing and palm reading is what gets them, then I will do that and put down the tools. As a performer I will once again reiterrate, it is not about the show as much as it is about the connection the audience feels. Sometimes the fire is too scary to get past, and a connection can be made other ways. Both are beautiful and impressive in passionate hands.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK