poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
Hello all. Please dont refer me to any of those other flag stuff, I've been looking for about an hour and its just not what I'm trying to find frown Unless ofcourse I missed one on this particular thing. BTW I posted this in both things because it's kinda urgent and I didnt know if someone who knew about this but didnt feel like going to a dif forum to answer might help me so pleeease thanks everyone!

This is what I want to do. I want to be basically spinning poi but with the size of flags on them...so my IDEA was to have a say 3ft x 3.5ft flag, put the weights on adjoining sides , attach a handle and swivel on the opposite corner. Would I be able to do poi kind of moves with this because of the swivel, would the material flare backwards so it looks similar to flags, almost as though you just attached the material to the cord of the poi?? Because I dont really want to get into 'traditional' flagging, and I dont know if I'm supposed to add a swivel right next to the weights on the short side or if its ok to put it on the opposite corner. Please someone help with this, again, I am NOT trying to get real flags, but rather poi with flags attached-ish. Also do you think it might work if I were to just attach a long piece of that silkish stuff to my poi string?? Thank you so much! ubblove

-Poikid-

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
In the future, don't post it twice - all forums get read just as much as the others smile

Double posting just leads to confusion

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
as far as i know, what you're talking about actually is a kind of flag. All the flags i have on have swivels and i did make some with just a weight on 1 corner, kind of like poi.

so basically, they do work really well, better than plain flags in my opinion.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Like these?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I think he means that he wants them to be attached like meteors or something....

I'm not sure, his explanation is kinda hard to make out.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Sounds to me he just wants a set of poi with flags on the chains. Not an actual set of flags.

Its a bit hard to understand what youre really asking but I think I can help a lil. Ok, so you have a regular set of poi. You have the handle, the chain, and the head. You then have 2 equal sized pieces of fabric that you want to make into the flags. Attach 2 rings to the fabric as so

Code:

o--------------

| |

o--------------

Then attach the rings to your chain. This design really only works with ball chain and rings that fit in between the balls of the chain but cant actually go past them. With this design, the flags will be able to swivel around the chain and wont get wound up around it.

Another way to do this is by using the flags as your chains and attaching a handle and head to that like so:

Code:

Handle--> ||________

| |

| |

|________|

Head---> ( )

In this case, you would need a swivel where the handle attaches to the flag and preferably (but not necessarily) where the flag attaches to the head.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
ICoN, what's the difference between your second design and the HOP one (other than the fact that yours has a poi head on it in lieu of flag weights)?
confused

weavesmiley

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think the difference is the ones from HoP are like a diamond under the handle where as poikid wants them to be coming off the string of normal poi....i think. does that make sense? Probably only to me! ubblol

And by the way poi kid is a girl, not a boy. Hello Cath wave Nice to see you taking time out from modding spherculism to visit the peeps of HoP. Have you had your birthday yet? We share the Taurus sign and my bday is today! HipHip Hooray! ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I actually made a pair just like that ages ago...

2 half t-shirts with chain down the seam then attached my beamers to the far end.

Looked really cool as the beamers lit up the flags as they span biggrin

Then it snapped and it hit my shin frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nice thinkin Durbs, gonna have to try that with my beamers.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
Hey custom bug! wave Woo happy birthday! Mines tomarrow actually, wow we're pretty close right there. Yeh I dont post much on HoP, spherculism is far too luvly for me to leave it much. Not saying HoP isn't luvly, just a matter of preference smile Hehe... I get that so much. No one thinks I'm a girl ubblol

As to this discussion, not like the ones at hops store, thanks though smile I basically want to spin big pieces of flowy materials so that it looks similar to flags, the big kind, but am able to spin them like poi. Thanks to you all for the ideas, combining a few I think I've got one that'll work for my style biggrin You're time is much appreciated. Oh real quick, so that maybe you can get what I mean a bit more, I would like them to look basically like this, but again, to be able to do multi beat things like butterflys or 5bt weaves etc etc just like poi [image]https://www.cforcesf.com/photogallery/various2/Pages/RobontheRocks.html[/image]

-Poikid-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
poikid, that photo is of standard flags (and a hot guy).

I guess I don't get what's wrong with the HOP flags. What is different about what you're visualizing? They are flags, they're on swivels, and you spin them like poi. I know because I've tried them out. weavesmiley

-Mike

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
Hey lightning

Reason is because the ones on hop just arent what I'm looking for. I've tried explaining and I guess it's just not working. I've seen hop ones spun and well again...just not right smile Thanks though, right on that they work for you man biggrin Just preference ya know??

-Poikid-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
right, I'm trying to figure out what you want different from the HOP flags because that way maybe I can offer ideas.

I'm not trying to be contrary. When I'm being contrary, I'm pretty damned obvious about it. biggrin

-Mike

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
Hehe no worries man

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I think what she means by saying "multiple beats" is that she wants them not to wrap themselves up when spinning circles in the same plane. I do believe the answers given so far address that problem, especially in the case of adding flags to ball chain, so I dont really know what you want either.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me