Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Greater Sydney Area Firearts & Juggling - The unOfficial List

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
**Final Edit - 14th July 2006**
Well after 6 odd years of life in Sydney, i needed a change so have moved to Brisbane - thus will not be updating this again. I cannot guarantee any of the groups are still going - but have tried to insert contact details for all the key meets so you can get in touch with them.

***edit on 4/11/2010 with some links to facebook groups.

Thanx to all the lovely Sydneysiders & Novacastrians for most excellent spinning and silly goodness in the 4 odd years since i stumbles across this remarkable community.

love to all. peace out.
Ed ubbrollsmile

8th EDITION, UPDATED 27/03/06
note:
- be safe & be happy!
- for public transport info, call 131500, or go to www.131500.com.au, or if youre too useless to work it out yourself let me know.

Newtown juggling club **ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley *liked by Ciara*
https://www.somethinkodd.com/juggling/
for more info
Date: Wednesdays, rain, hail or shine
Time: 7:30- 9:30PM
Cost: $6 for hall hire
Directions:
- Train: Go to newtown station, walk out of station, turn right, walk up the main rd. cross on to the left side of the road, turn left into church st. a shop called 'Holy Sheet' is on the corner. Walk about 80 meter down the road, the hall is on the left. You will hear loud banging noises. If you walk past and old church or park, you've gone too far.
- Bus: any bus that goes along king st newtown. Check a street map before hand, and get off near the holy sheet store on the corner. Follow directions as above.
- Car. Turn into church st from king st, you can park inside the hall grounds.
Who Turns Up: Lovely old friends of mine, but no-one really from HoP.
What youll see: mainly clubs- lots of passing, but also balls, diabolo, unicycles, hats, blocks, hula hoops, and sometimes some poi.

Vibe: reasonably serious & focussed - mostly jugglers - lotsa club passing, but with moments of silliness. usually one or two poiers about. Generally a fun night.

UNSW CircusSoc **ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley *liked by Ciara*

Date & Time: check out their website above.
Location: Library Lawn, *apparently changed to the oval behind the Roundhouse bar*
Directions: from Central Station, cross Eddy avenue to get to bus stops. Multiple buses will take you to UNSW. work it out. I think the 860 is the express bus.
At the uni, find a map or ask someone for directions.
Car: I can be bothered. Get a map.
Who turns up: I know a couple of the spinners but none who are Hoppers

FIREARTS @ GLEBE **CURRENT ACTIVITY UNKNOWN** weavesmiley
The crew & regulars who used to run this are no longer, though its possible its still going
Dates: Every Thursday, except when raining.
Time: anytime after 8:30-9pm, but is variable. Goes till 11-midnightish. Attendance is a bit temporamental over winter.
Location: Jubiliee Park, Glebe pt rd, Glebe. [also called bicentennial park]
How to get there:
To get to glebe pt rd
- Public transport. From town hall stn or central stn, catch 431 or 433 bus. tell driver your going to glebe. they drive down Parramatta rd, then turn right into glebe pt rd. tell the drive to drop you as far down glebe pt rd as possible. Walk the rest of the way
- Driving. Get on Parramatta rd, turn into glebe point rd at broadway shopping centre.

To find the park
Go as far down glebe pt rd as possible. go down the hill at the end, and youll see a park next to a river, with a suspension bridge on the right. We'll ususally be somewhere within 15 meters of the carpark

Who turns up:
Anywhere between 6 and 30... numbers are a bit irregular.
What youll see
Fire & glow - poi, staff, doubles, contact staff, rope dart, contact doubles, an occasional unicycle and juggler - a general bit of everything, with the focus on teaching.
Vibe.
Relaxed & cruizy. Mostly a social thing to randomly chat, and spin.
what to bring : kerosene, general stuff, a few cushions & beers, and toys of course!
toilet facilities : the tree.

SURCAS - Sydney University Recreational Clowning Around Society **ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19227797048
Date & time: Usually 2 weekdays per week during semester from 12-2pm-ish. Check the link above.
Location: Sunken Lawn [halfway between library & manning building], Sydney Uni.
Directions: once you get to the uni, find a map or ask some one directions. Most people are pretty helpful & friendly.

To get to the uni
Train: to redfern station, walk out, turn left, follow the steady flow of uni student to the uni.
Bus: any bus running up/down Parramatta rd. get off at footbridge theatre. Ask the bus driver if unsure.
Car: off Parramatta rd. park where ever you can.

Who Turns Up: no idea anymore...
What youll see: everything.
Vibe: relaxed uni feel. Usuallly head to the bar afterwards for a drink in the afternoon sun.

Also have occasional evening BBQs. will post details as they come.

Macpyros - Macquarie Uni Pyros **POSSIBLY ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7388636053
Date: Thursday evenings, during semester
Time: 5pm onward - usually till 8pmish
back of the
bar (near Lake Yerbery)
Directions: if youre driving, look at a map. by public transport, youll have to catch a bus to macquarie uni. if you cant handle working it out by yourself, PM me
Who Turns Up: no idea.
What youll see: firey stuff
Vibe: only been once, but it seemed friendly.

Stone Circle Fire & Drums **ACTIVE**weavesmiley
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7790690907
Date: Friday - closest to a full moon from September-ish to April-ish.

Time: after 10pm
Location: The Stone Circle is on the cliff point just south of Bondi Beach (between Bondi Beach and Tamarama Beach). If standing on Bondi beach looking south towards Bronte you will see a cliff - the circle is on the edge of it, protruding over the ocean. You will see a big park up there (Marks Park) - its where you see people flying kites during the day.

Directions: To get there by public transport the 380 bus from Bondi Junction is the easiest way - get off on Fletcher St (one stop after the stop on Denham St, when bus turns off Bondi Rd) and walk to the end of Fletcher street (in the same direction as the bus was going) until you reach the park and walk across the park towards the ocean - you'll see the circle when you reach the other side of the park.

If walking from Bondi Beach, walk south up Campbell Parade and then turn left into Sandridge Rd and then take the first left into Fletcher St and you'll get to the park. If you're adventurous take the walkway that goes along the cliffs from Bondi Beach, that starts behind Bondi Icebergs. If you dont know where that is, probably best to follow the road...

Who Turns Up: random spinners, drummers, and dancers.

what to bring: drums/percussion, firesticks/pois, warm clothes (it can get pretty windy up there), beer etc, candles/lanterns (if you've got some handy) and friends.

Vibe: an interesting mix of hippy and eastern suberbs trendiness - generally a very fun crazy dancy night. this is one of my favourite meets - everyones really friendly.

Bushdoofs
who turns up: Me and a few others occaisonally. visit www.australiens.net for more info, or PM me.
What they are : uber cool electronic dance parties out in the middle of nowhere, with the sweet sound of bass echoing through the hills. Normally psytrance, but blends into trance, d&b, and a few others styles as well. Being completely away from anything, you can do anything you want, but just respect the rights of others to have fun as well.

Terrigal **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN**
Every wednesday night theres a Fire and Drums meet near the surf club on the beach. Its a very family friendly vibe and a very fun night. Ive only been once - but i recommend make it if you can!

Wollongong **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN**
I think theres used to be something on Wedneday nights at the Uni. I also hear rumours of a Full Moon gathering as well.

Newcastle **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN** [Old link]

Bathurst **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN**
Apparently theres a crew out at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst. I know nothing else about them, but your welcome to search for them if your out that way.

please let me know if you know of any other gatherings.

hugs, love, & peace to all!
hug2 peace kiss

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1293072399)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ade

Frenzie - yay for you!!!

many thanks for giving the sydney crew a kick up the proverbial and for organising an early evening meet

those glebe whippersnappers don't start til after I'm in bed of an evening eek

Yeah that was always one of my problems for getting to glebe, starts a bit late for me, i get up early and walk the dog before work, so i get to bed a lot earlier these days!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
we'll be up in sydney for an unspecified period of time early in the NY I think. Would be lovely to catch up with you lot for a spin.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Cool!
well if people show up tonight, and want it again, was thinking of doing this once a month first tuesday of the month ... smile

Man my nights get crazy busy sometimes!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I had last night of it was good to see the few that showed up .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey, im meant to be coming up from melbourne to visit u guys in a month or 2, and was just wondering, which group of yall has the biggest turnout of fire poi-ers

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
heya!

hard to pick....
sydney firespinners in general are lazy & spontaneous... glebe on thursday nights is your best bet - although if your a juggling fan id recomment getting to newtown juggling on wednesday or sydney juggling on sunday.

the sydney fire community comes out more at summer approaches, so ask me a week before you pop up and ill let you know.
cheers.

battysnattynewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi I'll be heading back to oz soon and was just checking to see if there were some regular group spins happening, I look forward to meeting you sydney twirliers, rock on babies xx angel

AlteraSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
hey guys,
ive been thinking ubbidea and as i am guilty of being on who has posted posts asking about the sydney juggling and fire crews i was wondering if any of the people have thought about setting up a website database, like this one only smaller for the sydney area organisations that are listed on this post. it could be linked to the HoP site and then it would make it possible to arrange for bigger meets once every few months or something for a big burn or performance.... juggle weavesmiley juggle

The more the merrier and the easier it is to see wat is going on the more likely my master plan of some very fun twirling nights could be accomplished!

just a thought! wink

Altera

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
if you can be bothered doing it, by all means.
good luck wink

i must warn you that sydney spinners are notoriously lazy creatures, and starting any sort of new meet is pretty hard.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Does anyone drive in from the west? I'm in Parramatta and would gladly throw a few bucks in the general direction of anyone going into town from here, so far public transport has a 100% rate of getting me in late or delivering me to places I never want to see ever again.

I might brave the train next sunday though. I figure an express between Parra and Central can't go *that* tits up.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm... not too sure. i living up northwise myself, and takes about an hour to get to any of the events - but im silly so i still go!
i dont know anyone off hand though.

thinking about it, i know one guy who comes to glebe on thursdays but lives in penrith! but he's at sydney uni at camperdown so he's used to the epic train ride.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
anyone know of gatherings and or people in central coast or newcastle????? not that you sydney people arent worth travelling all that way, but.... you know.... wink

Fire... A bushmans telly

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I can try and find out for you! Will get back to you in a few days.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
if you look at the first post in this thread theres info on the newcastle meet. its pretty quite at the moment, but there usually a few down there. hopefully the warmer weather will attract more spinners.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
you're such a good boy, dentrassi!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

Awwww, give him a biscuit! wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

me? you must be confusing me with my secret twin brother...

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
oh thanks dentrassi!! redface i shoulda looked harder the first time.
but yah! thanks for your help ubbrollsmile
i shall try and check it out!

Heres yer biskit kiss

Fire... A bushmans telly

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
So we up for another twirl in sydney park November 2nd?? Melbourne cup day!
EDITED_BY: Frenzie (1098667927)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ummm not sure. lifes pretty busy but ill see what happens.

pan-ashnewbie
1 post

Posted:
hey, just wondering if the spinning still goes on in glebe on thursdays? i'm fairly new to spinning, will i be out of place? ive never been to any of these meets but i'd really love to get involved and learn from you guys. and thanks dentgrassi for this post, its rocks!!!!!
ash

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
dentgrassi???? thats way to close to the word 'degrassi' for my liking! ubblol wink anyway, the glebe meet is probably the best chance - attendance has been a bit down to bad weather for the last couple of months, but it should pick up again now.

will update the main post now though....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss to the glebe, will be there tonite, cant wait for mainland fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahhahahahaha! let it burn!!!!!!!!!!(k, now i'm scaring myself)(k, i'll shut up now.....)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
the glebe lives! cheerz 2 the circusoc troop who actually turned up and let me use their toys, next week!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BatwalkerBRONZE Member
journeyman
50 posts

Posted:
Will you be spinning at the bicentennial park this Thursday. weavesmiley

I'm only asking as it is very close to New year, so I wasn't sure if it is going on.

If it is and I can get over from Manly, I would love to go. hug

I am a EVIL Giraffe.....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
YAY! STONE CIRCLE TOMORROW NIGHT!

ive listed details previously at the start, but i cant be bothered checking if they are the same, so heres a copy of the email i just recieved.
The next Stone Circle night is on this Friday and this may be the last one before Saul is off overseas for a while, so we would really like to make this a big one! Especially since we missed the full moon in January, due to other happenings..

So hope to see you Friday!

----------
For anyone's that never been to one of these nights, we've been holding these drumming jams for about 5 years now, in the summer months, on fridays nearest to a full moon.
The jams are held on McKenzies point, in Mark's Park, in South Bondi. Its a beautiful spot, on a cliff overlooking the ocean, with Bondi beach to the left and Tamarama to the right.

All instruments are welcome, and bring your fire toys!
Everyone is welcome, whether you want to drum or just come for the party!

WHEN: Friday 29th of October, starting at about 10:00pm.

WHAT TO BRING:
drums/percussion, firesticks/pois, warm clothes (it can get pretty windy up there), beer etc, candles/lanterns (if you've got some handy) and friends.

HOW TO GET THERE:
The Stone Circle is on the cliff point just south of Bondi Beach (between Bondi Beach and Tamarama Beach). If standing on Bondi beach looking south towards Bronte you will see a cliff - the circle is on the edge of it, protruding over the ocean. You will see a big park up there (Marks Park) - its where you see people flying kites during the day.

To get there by public transport the 380 bus from Bondi Junction is the easiest way - get off on Fletcher St (one stop after the stop on Denham St, when bus turns off Bondi Rd) and walk to the end of Fletcher street (in the same direction as the bus was going) until you reach the park and walk across the park towards the ocean - you'll see the circle when you reach the other side of the park.

If walking from Bondi Beach, walk south up Campbell Parade and then turn left into Sandridge Rd and then take the first left into Fletcher St and you'll get to the park. If you're feeling adventurous take the walkway that goes along the cliffs from Bondi Beach, that starts behind Bondi Icebergs. if you dont know where that is, probably best to follow the road...

anyway, map is attached - it is at Mackenzies Point in Marks Park.

for any other info call me on 0419 441 633 or Saul on 0425 283 382

feel free to forward this email on to anyone that may be interested. You can also send me email addresses of people who would like to be on the list.

see you there!
Boris and Saul

PS if the weather is not looking too good call us on the numbers above to see if it is still on. If it is very windy, we will be under the rock overhang about 30m south of the stone circle or down the steps to the north of the circle, depending on wind direction etc.

well, on the off chance anyone from sydney actually reads this thread, ill be going!

ed hug

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hi all,
comming up to u guys on friday, but im leaving on monday. is there any weekend fire that i could duck into for a few hours, and borrow a few peoples poi.

o yeah. . . are any of u up there fire eaters, i dont know anyone round here who eats so if anyone wants to get together, burn our tounges learnin new moves n all the likes gimme a hoi.

thanks heaps all, pete

-------------------
foomp

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ben-ja-men lead me to this thread in response to me asking about Sydney stuff.. There seems to be a fair bit on, so why did I read in other threads the phrase 'sydney scene is a joke....' Is is cos it's such a big city it's just hard to get around to connect with people? OR things come and go fast??

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Is is cos it's such a big city it's just hard to get around to connect with people

yup! thats pretty much the reason.

this thread needs updating - i should get around to it this weekend.

cheers
beerchug

Covenantnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey Dentrassi. As requested, here's the info for the new group I'm starting up out in Parramatta. I post event schedule and info on www.meetup.com. I'm looking to make it a fortnight event, every second Tuesday. The first fell on March 8, next will happen on Mary 22. I know of 5 people coming next Tuesday, but am hoping for more.

Here's the event details:

Tuesday 22 March, around 8:00 PM @ Doyle Grounds (soccer fields & cricket pitch) in North Parramatta. I choose this venue again, as it's usually pitch black after dark, very few street lights around. The venue has a large amount of open space. Located on Buller St in North Parramatta. For a map, use this link: https://www.whereis.com.a
u/whereis/mapping/panMap.do?mapIndex=2&a mp;brandId=1&direction=180
The night will focus on single staff and poi, both Eletronic and Fire. Bring your own gear. The expected turn out so far is about 5 people, but we're hoping for more. Call or e-mail to confirm any of the details of help with directions. 0421188062 matthew@wanders.ca

Here's the event URL:

https://fireperformers.meetup.com/5/events/4442990/

PLUR,
Covenant

Page: ...