Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Greater Sydney Area Firearts & Juggling - The unOfficial List

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
**Final Edit - 14th July 2006**
Well after 6 odd years of life in Sydney, i needed a change so have moved to Brisbane - thus will not be updating this again. I cannot guarantee any of the groups are still going - but have tried to insert contact details for all the key meets so you can get in touch with them.

***edit on 4/11/2010 with some links to facebook groups.

Thanx to all the lovely Sydneysiders & Novacastrians for most excellent spinning and silly goodness in the 4 odd years since i stumbles across this remarkable community.

love to all. peace out.
Ed ubbrollsmile

8th EDITION, UPDATED 27/03/06
note:
- be safe & be happy!
- for public transport info, call 131500, or go to www.131500.com.au, or if youre too useless to work it out yourself let me know.

Newtown juggling club **ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley *liked by Ciara*
https://www.somethinkodd.com/juggling/
for more info
Date: Wednesdays, rain, hail or shine
Time: 7:30- 9:30PM
Cost: $6 for hall hire
Directions:
- Train: Go to newtown station, walk out of station, turn right, walk up the main rd. cross on to the left side of the road, turn left into church st. a shop called 'Holy Sheet' is on the corner. Walk about 80 meter down the road, the hall is on the left. You will hear loud banging noises. If you walk past and old church or park, you've gone too far.
- Bus: any bus that goes along king st newtown. Check a street map before hand, and get off near the holy sheet store on the corner. Follow directions as above.
- Car. Turn into church st from king st, you can park inside the hall grounds.
Who Turns Up: Lovely old friends of mine, but no-one really from HoP.
What youll see: mainly clubs- lots of passing, but also balls, diabolo, unicycles, hats, blocks, hula hoops, and sometimes some poi.

Vibe: reasonably serious & focussed - mostly jugglers - lotsa club passing, but with moments of silliness. usually one or two poiers about. Generally a fun night.

UNSW CircusSoc **ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley *liked by Ciara*

Date & Time: check out their website above.
Location: Library Lawn, *apparently changed to the oval behind the Roundhouse bar*
Directions: from Central Station, cross Eddy avenue to get to bus stops. Multiple buses will take you to UNSW. work it out. I think the 860 is the express bus.
At the uni, find a map or ask someone for directions.
Car: I can be bothered. Get a map.
Who turns up: I know a couple of the spinners but none who are Hoppers

FIREARTS @ GLEBE **CURRENT ACTIVITY UNKNOWN** weavesmiley
The crew & regulars who used to run this are no longer, though its possible its still going
Dates: Every Thursday, except when raining.
Time: anytime after 8:30-9pm, but is variable. Goes till 11-midnightish. Attendance is a bit temporamental over winter.
Location: Jubiliee Park, Glebe pt rd, Glebe. [also called bicentennial park]
How to get there:
To get to glebe pt rd
- Public transport. From town hall stn or central stn, catch 431 or 433 bus. tell driver your going to glebe. they drive down Parramatta rd, then turn right into glebe pt rd. tell the drive to drop you as far down glebe pt rd as possible. Walk the rest of the way
- Driving. Get on Parramatta rd, turn into glebe point rd at broadway shopping centre.

To find the park
Go as far down glebe pt rd as possible. go down the hill at the end, and youll see a park next to a river, with a suspension bridge on the right. We'll ususally be somewhere within 15 meters of the carpark

Who turns up:
Anywhere between 6 and 30... numbers are a bit irregular.
What youll see
Fire & glow - poi, staff, doubles, contact staff, rope dart, contact doubles, an occasional unicycle and juggler - a general bit of everything, with the focus on teaching.
Vibe.
Relaxed & cruizy. Mostly a social thing to randomly chat, and spin.
what to bring : kerosene, general stuff, a few cushions & beers, and toys of course!
toilet facilities : the tree.

SURCAS - Sydney University Recreational Clowning Around Society **ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19227797048
Date & time: Usually 2 weekdays per week during semester from 12-2pm-ish. Check the link above.
Location: Sunken Lawn [halfway between library & manning building], Sydney Uni.
Directions: once you get to the uni, find a map or ask some one directions. Most people are pretty helpful & friendly.

To get to the uni
Train: to redfern station, walk out, turn left, follow the steady flow of uni student to the uni.
Bus: any bus running up/down Parramatta rd. get off at footbridge theatre. Ask the bus driver if unsure.
Car: off Parramatta rd. park where ever you can.

Who Turns Up: no idea anymore...
What youll see: everything.
Vibe: relaxed uni feel. Usuallly head to the bar afterwards for a drink in the afternoon sun.

Also have occasional evening BBQs. will post details as they come.

Macpyros - Macquarie Uni Pyros **POSSIBLY ACTIVE** juggle weavesmiley
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7388636053
Date: Thursday evenings, during semester
Time: 5pm onward - usually till 8pmish
back of the
bar (near Lake Yerbery)
Directions: if youre driving, look at a map. by public transport, youll have to catch a bus to macquarie uni. if you cant handle working it out by yourself, PM me
Who Turns Up: no idea.
What youll see: firey stuff
Vibe: only been once, but it seemed friendly.

Stone Circle Fire & Drums **ACTIVE**weavesmiley
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7790690907
Date: Friday - closest to a full moon from September-ish to April-ish.

Time: after 10pm
Location: The Stone Circle is on the cliff point just south of Bondi Beach (between Bondi Beach and Tamarama Beach). If standing on Bondi beach looking south towards Bronte you will see a cliff - the circle is on the edge of it, protruding over the ocean. You will see a big park up there (Marks Park) - its where you see people flying kites during the day.

Directions: To get there by public transport the 380 bus from Bondi Junction is the easiest way - get off on Fletcher St (one stop after the stop on Denham St, when bus turns off Bondi Rd) and walk to the end of Fletcher street (in the same direction as the bus was going) until you reach the park and walk across the park towards the ocean - you'll see the circle when you reach the other side of the park.

If walking from Bondi Beach, walk south up Campbell Parade and then turn left into Sandridge Rd and then take the first left into Fletcher St and you'll get to the park. If you're adventurous take the walkway that goes along the cliffs from Bondi Beach, that starts behind Bondi Icebergs. If you dont know where that is, probably best to follow the road...

Who Turns Up: random spinners, drummers, and dancers.

what to bring: drums/percussion, firesticks/pois, warm clothes (it can get pretty windy up there), beer etc, candles/lanterns (if you've got some handy) and friends.

Vibe: an interesting mix of hippy and eastern suberbs trendiness - generally a very fun crazy dancy night. this is one of my favourite meets - everyones really friendly.

Bushdoofs
who turns up: Me and a few others occaisonally. visit www.australiens.net for more info, or PM me.
What they are : uber cool electronic dance parties out in the middle of nowhere, with the sweet sound of bass echoing through the hills. Normally psytrance, but blends into trance, d&b, and a few others styles as well. Being completely away from anything, you can do anything you want, but just respect the rights of others to have fun as well.

Terrigal **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN**
Every wednesday night theres a Fire and Drums meet near the surf club on the beach. Its a very family friendly vibe and a very fun night. Ive only been once - but i recommend make it if you can!

Wollongong **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN**
I think theres used to be something on Wedneday nights at the Uni. I also hear rumours of a Full Moon gathering as well.

Newcastle **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN** [Old link]

Bathurst **ACTIVITY UNKNOWN**
Apparently theres a crew out at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst. I know nothing else about them, but your welcome to search for them if your out that way.

please let me know if you know of any other gatherings.

hugs, love, & peace to all!
hug2 peace kiss

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1293072399)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Fyre_Flynewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

New to the group, just wondering if I could get simular information on the performing groups around Melbourne?

"Those who walk in Light and Trust shall grow in Peace and Honor"

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Fyre_Fly Click Linky Linky...

[Old link]

We have our own thread for melbourne fire twirling goodness...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
bumpity imp

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Hello to all you wonderful Sydneyer's, I am heading down under later this month and am after finding someone who can both meet me at either the airport/a bus/train station thats easy to get to from the airport and offer some floor space for a few nights before I move onto Adelaide.
I am hoping to arrive around the 22 and stay till the 25/26th Nov.
Anyone scared I won't get to see/do much in this time needn't worry I will be returning to Sydney probably around Feb/March to stay for about a month or so before heading north.
Anyone ofering any help would do best to PM me.
Thanks Dale hug

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
BUMP

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

BandanaDaveGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
yeah, BUMP again....

Ok, I am after all of you Sydney siders fire twirlers....

One, what events listed up the top *looks up* are still running here in Sydney? I can vouch for Circusoc:

Circusoc sessions start again formally on the 26th of Feb as that is Wk 1 of UNI session (we are a uni based club but all are welcome). Meetings are weekly on Monday nights from 5 PM onwards on the Physics Lawn at UNSW.

We are also holding informal meetings on Mondays untill then, check here the address bellow for details. PM me if your interested.

https://circusoc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=564

The other thing I am organising four events that are happening during UNSW's O-week. One of these events involves fire so if anyone is interested give me a PM.

Last but not least is that I am the Producer for Circusoc's upcoming show in May (One for which HoP has actually sponsored us in with some gear). It's called Kerros which is Finnish for story or tale. If your interested turn up to some of the meetings or PM me.

Many Smiles,
David

Y2k-Hippymember
13 posts

Posted:
Hay Peoples

Its great to see Sydney getting a mention in here.
(and ofcourse circusoc.. yeah Im a long term member with them to just like Dave above me)

Im actually looking around for one of two other spinners around looking to do some paid work, around sydney. I can teach if you are new and I am mainly going to aim at parties and the like for gigs.

Sorry if Im in the wrong area but this place is HUGE

Tree Bad, Fire Pretty

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
hey folkalidokalies,
im back in sydney - moved back after 6 months at home and need to meet some spinny folk. ill try to get to one of the meets in eds first post but if anyone is doing anything exciting or fancies a spin please just drop me a pm.
thanks
becs

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

BandanaDaveGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Hello Chickpea,

Ok, spinney folk, well come join Circusoc before be get destitute. Session is over but there is still going to be a good meeting on this Monday at UNSW in Kensington. We are on the physics lawn from roughly 5PM onwards. I'll pm you my mob cos i won't be likely to check the internet between tonight and then. If your interested, get to UNSW and give me a buzz.

Cheers,
David

Many Smiles,
David

bjmapuanewbie
2 posts

Posted:
he-llooooo in heeee-re (in here, in here, in here in here ***fade out***)
hey fellow sydney-siders!
is the Circusoc still meeting regularly? would a newbie poi spinner be able to find guidance and advice and learn new things...
and meet nice people?

are there other groups apart from this?
cheers,
b

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hi! - all that informtion and more is found in the first post!

but to your questions, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

E.

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
yes! come be our friend!
circusoc loves you!!
biggrin biggrin: D

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
hey guys i have some workshops starting up in Bondi in November if anyones interested! HoP discount! check it out..FireTrybe Nation presents the Art of Fire Dancing in 3 weekend workshops! Join us in an exploration of Staff, Poi, Contact Staff, Object Manipulation and Body Movement plus more (such as Fire Eating and Fire Breathing) upon request! All equipment provided.

Classes are suitable for Beginner Adults to Advanced, classes are NOT suitable for children.

Classes will run at Marks St Park, South Bondi (South Cliffs of Bondi Beach, right near the Stone Circle ) COST - $25 per lesson, $60 for 3 lessons

Contact Ciara : )
ciarathorburn@telstra.com
www.firetrybenation.com

Non-Https Image Link

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
well
fire as we know it in glebe may be a thing of the past

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Why?
Official interference?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
yeah sydney city council ranger got a littel hot under the collar last week
she is new i think

we been there for nearly 10 yrs
been through many diffrent groups

had the police hang out with us and even gave us a light show one night for fun (woooooo blues and twos)

but last week some little ranger got all uppety at us

story to continue

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
That would be a real shame. Keep me up to date on what happens.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
only if you promis to coe down for a spin some time soon miss rozi

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by :brainstorma

only if you promis to coe down for a spin some time soon miss rozi

Not sure I can make those kind of promises. You know what kind of a slackarse, wussy spinner I have become. I only hula-hoop indoors these days. wink

But I will be in touch. smile

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
hula-hoop indoors
is that what the kids are calling "it" these days

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
No, but it will be called this from now on. May I happily "hula-hoop indoors" for the rest of my life. biggrin

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Outdoor hooping is also good:

7569Mags_the_Jedi

(image randomly selected from plethora of hooping hottie on hop)

danidanistranger
1 post

Posted:
are there firespinners who live on the northern beaches??

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
hey guys, myself and my mate alex are coming to sydney tomorrow (wednesday) and are lacking in places to crash, if anyone has a spare couch or floor space for a couple of travellers for a couple of days it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
*Bump*

hello lovely sydney spinners, i will be coming to play for one week only on 24th november and would love to come along to one or two of your juggle meets/fire nights - can anyone please let me know which of the above are still running? i was thinking of heading to the thursday night one at Glebe...are there many people still going to this or is their an alternative?

looking forward to meeting you all

peas and hugs x

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Ive updated the first post with whatever links i can find.

No idea if glebe still has a presence, but some of the other meets do. best bet is the Newtown crew and UNSW crew.

good luck!

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much for updating the links, your so helpful

peas, hugs and hoopy loopy happiness x

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
i wish there was a 'Like' button for Newtown and UNSW Circusoc post!

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
done wink

Nick Mckenziestranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi, I am a beginner poi and staff spinner and I am Desperate to get together and practice with some others!

Page: ...