Forums > Introductions > thought i should say hello

Login/Join to Participate

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
hello,
i've been working with various props for over ten years. these days i play less and spend more time making props. in fact the only playing i do is to quickly test out the props i make. still the summer is coming and i will be on the road again, doing a few festivals, running some workshops, so i better get practising!
would be good to hear from any old friends, i've been off the scene for a while.
i've seen a few comments from people having difficulty getting hold of my props. you can get them directly from me, i make staffs to order. i'd have a website but i'm either too busy or too lazy, the vote's still out.
please feel free to contact me here or ask me any questions you may have.

just to clear up one issue.
"contact staff" it has grown into a discipline in it's own right, i'm very happy about that. most people doing it now have no idea who i am and never will. that has to be a good thing.
my two favourite props are one ball and one stick although i have worked with every prop to some degree. when i started getting into staff there were a few moves which involved letting go of the staff, rolls, spins etc. i found these particular moves kinesthetically satisfying and tried to learn as many as i could. staff wasn't too popular in this country in those days so i was forced to be innovative and just try doing things that i thought would never work. some things did work and i tried to find an underlying system. i then tried to adapt all my contact ball skills to work with a staff. this led me to develop unique moves such as the one now known as "the steve". once i felt i had enough material to run a workshop specifically on these moves i found i was stuck for a name. i decided to call it "contact staff" as the inspiration for these moves had come from fusing the two disciplines. i ran that workshop at the bristol circus convention and found that moves which had taken me years to put together were actually instantly accessible to many people.
since that time the discipline has become very popular and people have taken it in many directions. contact work is so beautiful to do and to watch and for me it has been very helpful as a meditative tool too.
so that is where the name comes from. the moves can historically be found in many disciplines, most noticably baton twirling.
it is my belief that the moves i "created" are simple moves which work with the mechanics of the human body. they follow a system which will always exist. these moves will be found time and time again by people throughout space and time.
my roll in this has just been to give it a name and keep demonstrating and workshopping it until it was able to flourish. that along with the rise in twirling in oz and the numbers of people travelling have made this something which i hope will continue to grow for years.
my thanks go to anna jillings and john bolwell who taught me the basics of pole spinning. anna of the cosmos jugglers always did beautiful and precise swinging. john, a tai chi treacher worked with poise. seeing them inspired me to learn and i in turn inspired many others. may that legacy go on til it surpasses all my imaginings.

steve

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
hello steve smile

i have a friend thats met you, and he says youre cool smile

welcome to homeofpoi

peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey steve, rob here;

good to see you on here..

props to this gentleman, for twas he who inspired the person who started me on the road to conact staffiness...

hug
Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Woooooowwwww! The master of my master!

Anyway - I think I have seen you on a video... like most poi and staf people you have extremely over developed deltoids! - YAY! biggrin

Welcome to HOP!

And thanks for all the fish...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Steve, heard the name round and abouts and always with plenty of props. Good to make your aquaintance wave

How come it took you so long to come here??!! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey hey Steve - Paul here from Burnt Toast.
We met at Beautiful Days last year (I was the one who confused you with the Silver Man redface ) - you going again this year? Love your contact juggling - smoothness indeed smile
Which other fests are you doing?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
hello again,
thanks for your warm welcome smile
as for festivals...mushypea will be at...
strawberry fair
larmer tree
beautiful days
sidmouth
towersey

i think that's it.

see you all somewhere smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hello there.

your reputation most certainly precedes you sir smile

much respect and hopes that you will stick around to post a bit more.

juggle meditate

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
what about the ejc ???? how can u say no its in france i mean really ...... really. ive heard many good things about the jedi who would be apart from the fact his name is mushy pea meditate i look forward to our paths crossing one day

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
eek

the stuff of staffing legend smile

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
is mushy peas kinda like a pie floater...which is a pie upside down in pea soup with tomatoe sauce on top

Hey Steve.. bounce2 bounce clap welcome

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Greetings! smile

You really exist then? I've had various email exchanges with juggling shops about getting a 5 ft staff made by you, but to no avail (dealing with stoners is never easy! biggrin and no one knows how to contact you/is willing to give me your contact details) frown

Anyway, I really want a 5ft staff and I have seen them sold/know lots of people with them, but i have a special request. I've heard that the suede/leather you use for the grips is recycled, which is really cool, but being vegan I'd rather have one without altogether. Is it possible to order one with a non animal grip? I'm sure there must be other vegan spinners out there who'd appreciate the option too.

Ta smile

SunriseIvetka
211 posts

Posted:
welcome steve..lets be together and happy inside grouphug

sunny
grouphug

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
re vegan stick,
i used to do a vegan stick. it is something which i would like to be able to do again. so far i haven't found a suitable material which i find is both grippy yet smooth and can produce a seamless finish. i do have some "vegan leather". i get offcuts from a belt manufacturer, in fact some of my staffs do have it on. when i was at the factory one day i saw it and was told i hadn't been given it because it was not leather and was made from plant material. the only reason i haven't used it as vegan is that it's so like leather that i can't believe it's not leather and i don't suppose any vegan would either. wink
all the rubberised materials i have seen degrade quite quickly. however i am keen to cater to everyone's needs. if anyone has ideas or could send me samples of material i would be happy to experiment. smile

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
as for the ejc, i want to go but for the past few years it has fallen on the wrong dates for me. i'm hoping this year to get there for a couple of days as it isn't far. too many people i haven't seen for years and so many others i'm yet to meet. smile

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
amen to that smile

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hello wave

I have heard a lot about you! ubbangel

But i have one question that i just have to ask :
Do you like the colour pink? ubbangel

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
there's a shade of pink to suit every mood. smile
maybe you have seen some of the pink firestaffs i have made ubbrollsmile

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen any of the pink ones? eek
And i have been looking so hard for a nice 4 ft pink fire staff! ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SunriseIvetka
211 posts

Posted:
amen hug

sunny
grouphug

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
well, i just slip them in to the oddballs order every so often.
i have just sent an order but sorry no pink. just sak the guys there to order one specially for you or get one direct from me smile
i have a friend who tells me they should all be pink but i have to strike the right balance. ubbrollsmile
they have pink sparkly decos and a pink suede grip. i also have a very soft but thick pink suede which i have never used. it's like the pink in the font colour box maybe a little lighter. just say the word and one will be on it's way to you smile

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

hello again,

thanks for your warm welcome smile

as for festivals...mushypea will be at...

strawberry fair

Yay yay yay!!!!! I knew MeerCat and I weren't the only Strawberry Fair goers, just my events page has been ignored!!!

Might see you there!!!

Edit - Totally forgot to say hello!!!! Hi! wave ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: GottaLoveIt (1083946048)

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Steve!

Hope your well, and thanks again for sharing the clubby goodness with Glass and myself at the BJC all that time ago smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hello Steve,
Crickey! i wasn't expecting to see you here
smile
Long time..
I was hoping to meet up with you at Bristol then at BJC,
Sorry to miss you at both.
Hope that life is going well and happy for you bounce2
I'll get back in touch soon, much news to catch up.

:thanks: for the inspiration ubbidea

Love and light
Drew
smile

mushypeastevemember
11 posts

Posted:
hey drew,
good to hear from you. took me a little while to recognise you behind that name.
jago may have said, went to hungary instead of bristol. i made it to the british but only stayed for about 30 mins. still finding it difficult to do the social thing. starting to be able to cope a bit better but bjc is too much all in one go. smile
look forward to next time i see you,
hope you have all those fishtails down now wink
big hugs

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
'ello! wave welcome hug:

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**