• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Clubbles Jugs
Total posts: 1687
Posted:I've been meaning to start a thread on this for a while. I first noticed something was wrong in March last year. 'Fresh' is a word we all used to associate with milk and bread in the morning, fresh fruit just picked etc...and now some media groups have twisted the word into the new word for 'new'.

Amid the Iraq war last year it was very apparent. There have been fresh bombings in...there have been fresh reports of...
Since when did the media take a word that we associate with being good and change it to describe something we consider bad? Keep an eye out for the word Fresh in your paper, on the news, and in what context it is used. It's all over the place, and I hate it.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Total posts: 190
Posted:Im sure if you think hard enough you can think up some phrases which use the word fresh, which are both negative and have been in use since before any media such as depicted in your 1984 conspiracy was brain washing us with newspeak.

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Well, obviously I can't think hard enough, or maybe I just can't be bothered.

But then, I find it difficult to stop quoting Eddy Izzard when someone mentions the word 'fresh'.

Care to throw in some examples of pre-media use of a negative fresh?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Classically British
Total posts: 5687
Posted:"The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"

That was bloody awful

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Tao Star
Tao Star

Total posts: 1662
Posted:maybe that meant fresh as in horny? he was quite that.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Total posts: 190
Posted:I guess what I meant is more or less uses of it in language then actual phrases, although one phrase does come to mind "fresh meat" not used in the context of selling meat at a grocery store.

An example of it that appears in a lot of literature is "the smell of fresh blood"