Forums > Social Chat > How poi resp. toys changed your life?

Login/Join to Participate

SunriseIvetka
211 posts

Posted:
ok,i very interested of this...
how poi or other staff changed your life?
or way of looking at life..?
mind?
are u more open to people?
have u realized that people dont have to talk only by oral language?
what about your body?
are u feel that u belongs somewhere?
or it doesnt say you anything?

thanx for answer those questions... weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

grouphug

sunny
grouphug

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello Foxylady

Poi has changed my life, I now have lots of friends I've never met yet I'd probably let them all stay at my house if they wanted to come for a spin.

I've met new friends in 'real life' and I'm the better for it from sharing thoughts on aspects of life and of course spinning.

I feel physically in tune with myself like I used to when I was younger, my coordination has returned, my balance has returned (aided by more cycling) and I have found mental sanctuary when spinning. I think my brain has improved a little too but that's probably just coincidence!

I joined an 'online community' for the first time and have enjoyed it thoroughly (sp?). I have something to do on a sunny afternoon in the park and it doesn't involve drinking!

All round life is better with poi, not that it was bad without, but it's deffinately better with.

It makes me do this biggrin more often

l8rs

Let's relight this forum ubblove

erikaMishBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
poi has changed my life in the way that it made it much more fun wink

and it also made me realize that you really CAN do things when you put your mind to it. when i first started i would think "i'd never be able to spin fire!" or "i can't do such trick" or whatever, and now i can... so i think it is the same way with anything in life... if you want to do it and like it, with enough practice, you can do it. plus, it has made me reasonably more disciplined and less bitchy in general haha. it just made a very positive impact in my life. i love poi! ubblove
EDITED_BY: erikaMish (1083693752)

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
FIRE! *giggles psycotically*

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
an outlet for passion, cus we don't have enough organs that do that. ubbangel

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
it makes me happy. gets anger and frustration out. staff is something i learned on my own with no help from anyone, and i feel proud maybe even.

unintelligable response. heh.

Hey, I'M the BEE!

erikaMishBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Quote:

it makes me happy. gets anger and frustration out. staff is something i learned on my own with no help from anyone, and i feel proud maybe even.

unintelligable response. heh.

i like that answer! i agree.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
how poi or other staff changed your life?
i enjoy life more, better friends and a better way of getting dirty without being wierd eek ubbloco
or way of looking at life..?
yeah....i'd go with that too...it does...for one you get to look at stuff and wonder if it's spinnable...
mind?
umm...yeah, you get a much more relaxed outlook....not that i could get much more relaxed with being in a coma....
have u realized that people dont have to talk only by oral language?
when spinning? yeah...just subtle nods and eye movements and certain tricks can express if people are stressed etc...or maybe i read into it too much..
what about your body?
it does change that too...more flexible, little fitter, hand eye co-ordination...etc...
are u feel that u belongs somewhere?
do i feel i belong somewhere? yeah...now...
or it doesnt say you anything?
confused biggrin

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
I was kind of hesitant to make this post. Poi has been my sanity for a while now. A few months ago I had surgery done on my spine. (Why yes, I AM quite young to be having back struggles but it's not like anybody's ever prepared for it anyway) It was very hard to be in so much pain. Still is. (there are some angry nerves back there) And even harder was watching my rock hard body melt away. I used to be a really good athlete. And I was alone all day which was boring and lonely. And if any of you have ever had chronic pain you know how mentally trying it is. So I was having massive struggles. Then I discovered poi. It was such a great thing for me to do to keep busy. No lifting and not a whole lot of bending or twisting if you can't / don't want to. It was good for my mind. As an athlete it was hard for me to not teach my body how to move, but poi helped with that. It sucked wathing myself become in poorer shape .. but at least my deltoids are looking good! And mentally ... well you guys know how nice the ol' grey matter feels after spinning. And another pleasant side effect of spinning.. fire does get bit of adrenaline flowing. (Puzzles just weren't gonna cut it)

No dramatic changes in who I am, so has poi changed my life? Probably not a whole lot. But it sure made my life more liveable.

Cheers
beerchug

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Nobody wrote to do a search..? what happened..? : o)

well poi has changed me in all the ways listed, actually... Im more open minded,stronger, more flexible and happy: o) and I finally have something to do on those long cold winter nights.. : op

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
Poi has changed my life, definetely.

It helped me going out of a hard period of depression. It cheered me up, making me feel more self-confident and self-satisfied. It filled my days when I thought they were empty, dull.

It made me know beautiful people to laugh and share this passion with.

it made me fitter and more coordinate and flexible.

and fire ubblove
it always thrills me, makes me shiver. It makes me feel closer to nature.
it makes me escape to another dimension, floating, so that when it's finished, it takes me a while to go back to "reality". if i'm a little speechless after spinning fire, i've understood it's one of the best ways i can express myself, just moving my body and tripping with my mind in flames.

Poi just makes me feel happier and in love with the world. ubbangel

weavesmiley wave S.

"We're all mad here"

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

PsychoKittymember
4 posts

Posted:
I definatly have a new respect for fire. I learned with one of my friends, and it's brought us much closer, it's something we can go off and do on our own but then share and grow together. It's also a trust exercise for me (I've always had trouble trusting others). I'll stand facing a friend (no fire, just practice poi) and we'll mimic eachother's moves. Some people we can stand very close, and even incorporate eachother into our moves, and some I don't trust as much. I think that's probably one of the things that's made the biggest impact on my everyday life, learning how to trust people. Strange connection isn't it?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Poi has definately had a huge impact on my life. Too big to really describe here.

Its changed my views on life as well as changed what I want to get out of it. It made me eat and live healthier with stretching and excercise. Im even thinking of quitting cigarettes and pot.

It showed me that with enough practice and hard work, I can get better at things and that I may have talents not yet discovered.

It even changed the way I look at music, art, and self expression all together.

Needless to say, I owe a lot to poi and the community that got me started with it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SpinnerBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
I've met loads of new friends from poi! I've been to night clubs and done uv poi to a crowd of strangers! I'm more open and it's wicked! I love poi!! :-D

SpinnerBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
Me too!

SpinnerBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
I agree!

stripesSILVER Member
stranger
41 posts

Posted:
it's something that's all me. I'm the only person I know (in 'real life') who can do it, and i taught myself it. It's one of the few things I've ever stuck with and I every time i do it i feel proud of myself.

I also just LOVE being able to teach other people something (and watching them hitting themselves is always fun).

when I'm spinning everything makes sense. i don't have to worry about anything else, and it all just... works somehow.

remember; they can't break you if you don't have a spine

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Poi, Staff, the whole scene has changed my life definately. The interaction with many other people who share a passion for twirlng has been great. I personally find poi for me to be like a moving meditation that is always changing and can need intense concentration, and other times just a social spin and a laugh with friends. The best part for me is that the art itself has taken me to a place now where Im communicating
working and interacting with other like minded people on a daily basis about this art that we all have a passion for. So yes poi has changed my life in all the ways you listed Foxy.
Happy twirling. ubbrollsmile weavesmiley juggle ubbloco