Forums > Help! > DIY juggling balls

Login/Join to Participate

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I've somehow got it into my head that I want to make a set of juggling balls.

I'm not really sure why this is since I've already got a nice set of balls that I'm quite happy playing with, but I've already got myself a pattern sorted and some fabric for me to cut up and try to stitch back together again.

What I could really do with knowing though is what I should fill them with. My current ones are filled with millet but having had bad experiences trying to get juggling balls filled with millet or rice through customs, I want to fill them with something that's not likely to cause any problems but still feels good.

What I'm thinking of at the moment is sand, anyone got any other ideas that I can mull over?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
as long as you sew it so it doesn't come out of the holes, sawdust is always good.

nice & firm (it's what punchbags were filled with before air).

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Not much help, but I know how to make juggling balls out of balloons.

In flate balloon; push a wide, heavy coin into the end and twist to a bubble; push that bubble in, and repeat till it's solid. Hurrah!

Sand sucks as a filling as it gets through all but th ultra tighest hems. Plastic beads would be an idea - quite a few limp cuddly toys use them as a filling so you could raid a cheap toy shop and sacrifice cuddly toys to the gods of juggling.

P.S. Hope you're having a wicked time!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I used dried peas in my home made crocheted juggling balls, but that was mainly because anything smaller would have gone through the small gaps in the wool.

For getting balls through customs I'm not sure using sand will be better than millet- if they have suspicions won't they just break them open anyway?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Also read this discussion on rec.juggling.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Quote:

quite a few limp cuddly toys use them as a filling so you could raid a cheap toy shop and sacrifice cuddly toys to the gods of juggling.

I like the sound of that one, I may well end up doing that.
I'll have to work on my evil laugh for when I'm cutting them open smile

and yep, I'm having a great time, cheers biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Since you are in Aust already it wont be a problem but soil from many countries is not welcome in Australia. Sawdust also is not welcome..

Foot and Mouth and wood bug disease risk I beleive....
EDITED_BY: Gnorc (1083486500)

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Yeh Plastic Balls or cut offs can be good and cheap
I got a couple of bags from a Recycling Store, for next to nothing
All goodness to ya

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Having given all the advice here and at rec.juggling my undivided attention, I eventually just gave up and trying to decide and filled them with rice smile

This is partly because I was in a supermarket and wandered past the aisle with rice in and just thought 'sod it', but also because I realised that now I know how to make the juggling balls, if I'm hassled as customs, I can easily slice open a seam and empty them, then refill them with whatever I can find in the country I'm going to, then sew them up again.

Plus, I'm planning to wear them out before I head back to New Zealand and therefore won't need to take them with me biggrin

Anyway, I've got a picture here

I made the orange ones first and they've settled a bit since then, I imagine the white and purple ones will do something similar. Luckily, I kind of prefer them after they've settled, it makes them squidge more and they don't roll so far when I drop them biggrin
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1084199665)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hooray for the Bovotron!

loopy78member
7 posts
Location: Newquay, Cornwall (combine harvister land Oo ar Oo...

Posted:
I've just made my own juggling balls out of fur fabric, I think they look like the monster from Monsters Inc. I've got a picture but I dont know how to post it on here,

anyone know?

juggle juggle juggle

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hi Rory did you just say rice?:

RIIIIIIIICE ubbrollsmile

STAPLE DIET OF HALF THE WORLD.

RRRRIIIIIIIIIICCCCCEEE

THEY LOVE IT IN CHINA biggrin

Some of these posts are just for Dom and me.

You want my advice?
GOING TO A PAAAARTY?
TAKE BASMAAARTI

RICE cool

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol

RICE!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove