squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Word,

now I'll be the first to admit I'm more likely to nail myself in the head than nail any slick moves but I was wondering if any one had ever tried a staff made from bamboo?

Don't have a fire staff myself but made a mockup out of bamboo and tennis balls from an old set of practice poi.

This resulted in a 5foot plus staff with a light body and (relatively) heavy ends, which had a lot of flex and bounce in it . eek

This allowed me to try some things I had'nt considered before, like;

1. drop the staff from waist height off one hip , let it hit your ankle as you bring yor leg up, this bounces the staff WAY up into the air, you can then catch it above your head, or, if you prefer, in your other hand as it falls down on the opposite side!

OR

2. Hold the staff like you're stirring a big pot, now raise the staff to the horizontal with your top hand nearest your sholuder, and your other hand about 1 foot further away.

Bring the furthest hand rapidly across your body for about 6-7 inches, then punch it back .

Inertia cuses the end of the staff to stay put during the first part of the move and the second part is so much faster it seems to make the staff end whip through the air at an altogether unholy speed when the energy eventually reaches it. eek

Maybe this could be used for ultra fast starts and stops, possibly even new ways to make "burn offs" happen?

And yes, I had been watching the matrix2 when I tried this, and yess I was a little drunk at the time biggrin

But who's going to argue when you've got a new staff move that can lick pebble dashing of a wall like its whipped cream off your girl? wow

later,

-M-

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
be careful lending it out.
i once had a rattan wood firetoy and gave it to someone who wasn't too careful at all with it - it was an expensive lesson in generosity!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Sounds cool. I think C@ntus got made some out of bamboo in India or something.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

6,978 posts

Posted:
and everone knows that when it ain't flexy enough, you gotta have a bender around. ubbangel

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Urr! NO!
Bad! Bad Bender!
Any more puns like that and I'll ask Pounce to swat you with my big stick! ubbrollsmile

6,978 posts

Posted:
um, can it be flexy? ubbidea

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Bender would enjoy that more than anything.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
mr dave (prophet, who hangs out in the chat room sometimes) has a very nice long bendy bambooo staff

smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Oh, I really dont think you'd like it Bender,
used too vigorously it can lead to blistering (and splinters) in the most tender of places. ooooops
Ouchy!

6,978 posts

Posted:
oh my - dangerous fire toys! they must hurt not a little! youse a crazy peepul. eek

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think C@ntus got made some out of bamboo in India or something

we have 5 bamboo staffs of varying sizes, that were indeed made in India (or something smile)

They're not bendy though. Although one of mine is a tad unstraight.

Meh

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Does it hang left or right?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Don't know about C@ntus, but mine gets a little wider and bigger at one end! tongue

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeepSoulSheep

Does it hang left or right?

A friend of mine was doing a survey about whether right handers tend to dress to the left, and vice versa. I am, and I do. You guys?

And bonus points for a plausible explanation why...

monkeys ate my brain

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Dress to the left?

I have no idea what that means...surely you do up buttons from whatever side they ahve top be done up on?

And no more of the "hang to left stuff", it might make some people stop thinking they are abnormal... wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
I think he means like, left sock first, left sleeve of t-shirt first etc. Seems plausable, lefties would have tendency to do things (pick up shirt) with their left hands before their right, righties right before left.

I guess that's not really an explanation :P. Maybe it is to make the less use limbs feel more wanted, poor guys.

- Klaymen

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Ahh, there's no gentlemen here, are there ubblol ubblol

Use'd to be, if you were getting a pair of trousers made, the tailor would ask "Does sir dress to the left or the right". It wouldn't have been an issue with ladies trousers. Clearer? biggrin

But I wouldn't want to make anyone feel un-ab-normal, so I'll shut up now ubbloco

monkeys ate my brain

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
Oh haha, I understand. Well uh, I too am in the right-handed left-dresser boat too. Interesting.

- Klaymen

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I don't like bamboo to much for staff practice. It has to much flex. It is, however, good for the core construction of practice fighting staffs and practice swords. I wrap it in foam and duct tape. It doesn't urt to bad, and it is really strong. the flex is bad for contact twirling.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Bamboo is ok when you're starting out, if you thwack yourself it doesn't hurt as much. But, going from bamboo to a real staff makes a BIG difference, not just in weight and balance but momentum too. Plus the rougher moves (like kicks) will wear out the bamboo alot faster. Personally, I'd recommend going straight to a real staff. Try your local hardware store and just get a cheap closet rod, you should be able to get it cut to the length and width you want.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
bamboo's cheap. you can get 4 staffs out of a pack of 3 6' bamboo sticks at Pier One for like $3. rape some tennis balls w/ a utility knife and duct tape them to the ends. best staffs evar. you can give them to people if you want and go make more in under 5 minutes. plus they're just bendy enough to kick well and if they wear out fast... so be it. they crack too. i heart bamboo.

-- dut

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
lol - green bamboo? mmmmmmmm sounds like fun.

Cantus has a pair of bamboo doubles but they are properly dried and hence no bounce.

I have a 5ft bamboo staff which gets lighter of heavier depending on the weather and has diferent centre of balance every time i pick it up.

Problem is the more I spin it the more polished it gets ubbloco

Your bouncy one sounds fun tho - might have to try it biggrin

looks for some bamboo

it's a bit trickier here in Brumland..... rolleyes

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
if you're looking for bamboo, then Garden Centres are your friends.

(thats why you always see pandas hanging round in the car park)

they sell them as planting poles.

Would i be correct in assuming that 'spinning a bamboo staff' is called 'bamboozling'?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."