DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
mmmm yummy.

Tesco strawberry Jam now 25% more tastey (says it on the jar) biggrin

Lion bars now have new improved flavour (says it on the packet) . smile

How do they measure this tastiness? Is it some kind of umpa lumpa thing or more sugar / msg confused

If I want my family to have a healthy diet they should have one actimel a day because it contains a pro-biotic bacteria called el casei immunitas. This I can live with cause 12 people can't be wrong can they?

They're not cheap but they now sell family cases of like 24 and 48. cool

EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1083247254)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Once again Goldilox became a sucker to advertising...remember the advert on television at the moment where the girl at the dinner party asks the man what he likes and he replies “Bacteria!”...well now I also like bacteria! Hehe!

mm...runny yogurt....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
isn't probiotic what they're trying out to replace antibiotics?

i think it's a thing that increases the 'good' bacteria, but according to some doctory guy i heard on radio 4 (great source i know) you need another thing o feed the bacteria on, so it's not actually that much good on it's own.

he said that although you do need more of that kind of bacteria, adding some by drinking a yoghurt is kind of like adding one of these smile to about a billon of these smile frown. so doesn't make much difference really (although technically good for you.) apparently feeding the smile bacteria is better than just adding a bit.

i might be wrong - anyone know any more about that?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, that is pretty basic biology - whether for the small (like bacteria) or large (say wolves).

say you have a certain enviroment that can support a certain population of wolves due to a limited number of deer and other prey. add a few more wolves, and no more prey, and some wolves will starve and die off because the extra wolf population stretched the food supply too far. You can keep adding wolves, but they will keep dying and in the end you will eventually have the same number of wolves you started with (or maybe fewer) because that is the number of wolves that can be supported.

But then if you add more deer to the area, the number of wolves that can live there and not starve increases. In a year, you suddenly have a more wolves because wolves, like any other animal, reproduce. Sure you could add some wolves at the same time you add deer, but there is really no need since the wolves are more than willing to do this on their own.

The same is true with the bacteria living in your digestive system. I assure you that (unless you've been taking a lot of antibiotics lately) you have as much bacteria (probiotics?)in your system as your system can support. Addng more is pointless since your system can't support more... unless you somehow provide them with a larger food source. But again, there is no need to add more of this good bacteria if the amount of food for them increases, because the bacteria that is there is more than willing to create more to take care of that new excess food supply. And since bacteria reproduce quite rapidly, the existing bacteria that are used to the enviroment can do this much more efficiently than new bacteria from say yohgurt.

About the only time it would really be important to consume this sort of bacteria is if for some reason the natural good bacteria in your system has been supressed (via antibiotic medicine perhaps). After such things it takes a while to recover, and having an external source may be benificial.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
cool, i understand it properly now.

so don't bother eating actimel unless you like the taste ok? beerchug

strong-bad pop up book,

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
and you are rich enough to afford the damn stuff!!

A healthy balanced diet is the way forward regardless of supplements.

As for how they measure taste...I think they just make it up! Shhhh!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah i think they make it up too.
maybe they do a survey
maybe they do a survey then fix the results.
what confuses me is when they put the same thing on catfood
'new tastier whiskas your cats gonna love it'
how do they know. cat based psycics????
work it out then
go on!!!

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
What's worrying is they do actually have human tasters for cat and dog food.

Yum

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yesterday my house mate was telling me the about when he used to eat Dog food and how much nicer than cat food it is!! eeeewwwww!
When GeorgeB was ickle she used to eat one of the coloured doggie biscuits ( I think it was the yellow ones) and her auntie used to have to hide them when she came round! ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I was once at a party where the host put out a bowl of dog biscuts with the other snacks as a joke. they were all gone by the end of the party.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

addict
469 posts

Posted:
they have human tasters for cat and dog food.***in a horrified expression of disgust***

why?????
why does it need to taste nice ? who really cares that much?
we are after all talking about animals that lick their own genitals clean after toiletting eat mud, grass, dead mice,and probably really gross things like avacados

are they that picky?

anyone ever done it for a living.? whats the pay like ?i am intruiged

this one is shorter

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
the way they make you think your cat likes it more is by making the smell stronger.

that wat your cat smells that you're feeding it (which it would probably be happy about if you were feeding it some roadkill anyway) from further away and comes running up to purr at you.

clever humans then assume that this means the cat likes it more, when in fact it's actually just more smelly.

strong-bad pop up book,

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
ubbidea
They should put nicotine in cat food cause then the cat'd be even more hooked and we'd be even more impressed by the stuff.

Sorry, I'm reading Allen Carr again today. ubbangel

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you?

smelly cat, smelly cat, likes B&H

strong-bad pop up book,

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Quote:

How do they measure this tastiness? Is it some kind of umpa lumpa thing or more sugar / msg confused

Well going on the knowledge I picked up during the food science/technology I did a couple of years back basically they get big panels of people in under controlled circumstances to taste them and rate them in comparison to other samples. So if your tescos jam (which would have a silly label like Sample B so no tesco prejudice could occur) got rated 25% higher on tastiness than your other leading supermarket jam or than their old jam in this case then it can claim it's 25% tastier

or something like that, so there you have it, yes, it is a team of umpa lumpa type testers (however they may not be orange, very short and have bad fashion sense!)

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

addict
469 posts

Posted:
damn. someone knew the answer .

how????
how do you know this????
do they have any jobs going i could eat jam all day
all night if neccasary

this one is shorter

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Quote:

damn. someone knew the answer .

how????
how do you know this????
do they have any jobs going i could eat jam all day
all night if neccasary

Erm I studied A-level food technology which goes into all the manufacturing side of food and retail rather than just general cooking, hence i know stupid facts like how they measure the tastiness of food.

As for getting paid to eat jam all day and night... wouldn't you get sick? (or really fat?)

addict
469 posts

Posted:
aha.
well that explains that then, i thought you were a fellow hoarder of totally useless information.
as for the jam i like jam.
i like jam a lot. particularly damson jam, or cherry jam or strabwberry spice jam, or economy jam thats more like jelly (sorry usa) or apricot jam. apricot jam is really nice.
just jam on toast jam in rice pudding.
yorkshire puddings with jam and custard. it being yorkshire you should use real ale jam.
what about orange jam. can you make orange jam without it becoming marmalade?
why is there not as much lemon jam.?
pear flavoured jam thatt could work. plums have jam so why cant lemons?
im going to start a campaign for more jam generally.
more traffic jams
more listning to 'the jam'
more jam, jam from the sky. jam bombs, rains of more jam.
THATS IT!!!!!!
how to get more jam into peoples lives. make it rain jam!!
different jam each day. cycling through all known jams.

right im off home to invent a machine to make it rain jam. and some more sorts of jam too

this one is shorter

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Wow! You really like your jam, but really... yorkshire puddings with jam and custard? u mean the sort of yorkshire puddings that you serve with roasts?

also is there really such a thing as real ale jam? if not there should be ubbidea

ubblol ubblol ubblol

addict
469 posts

Posted:
yes i am meaning the yorkshire puddings you have with roasts. with oodles of nice jam . (flavour not important) and then some good quality custard.
if you think about it the mix of yorkshire pudding is simalar to a pastry and almos identical to a pancake so its not that far fetched.
try it if you doubt me. its nice and good and crunchy and jammy and chewy and jammy and good and jammy and full of jammy goodness and jam.
blame my dad he fed it to me first

no there is no real ale flavour jam
you cant make jam from beer. you make drunk people or pies with beer.
if there was a real ale flavoured beer i would make it from riggwelter the best real ale on the planet.
probably the best drink on the planet.
it nice. but not like jam is nice. jam is different

this one is shorter

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

I use to work for a large company that warehoused/distributed and sourced grocery lines for about a third of the Western Australian market - I got the fun job on occasion of being roped into food testing - I got to taste a selection of foods and let them know which lines were not good enough to be their generic cheap lines....

Lovely - I got to taste the lines that were not good enough to go into a supermarket and be their cheapest lines! After tasting them, i'm glad the majority of them never made the cut! eek

But i always got a lollipop afterwards to wash away the taste biggrin

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
my mam makes the most delicous blackberry & gooseberry jam ubblove

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

addict
469 posts

Posted:
sounds good.
sounds very good veryveryveryveryvery good
the best jam ive ever had is my aunts homemade cherry and srawberry jam (just a hint of strawb)
lovelylovelylovelylovelylovelylovely ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

this one is shorter

MrDremember
15 posts

Posted:
What about eating jam whilst watching chris morris' "jam" on tv?
Strawberry jam, obviuosly.

addict
469 posts

Posted:
you could go further
lying in a bath of jam eating jam listning to the jam watching jam while picking out toe jam.
jam sensory overload methinks

this one is shorter

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
It's ok, you can get help! There's people out there trained to deal with addictions! biggrin

addict
469 posts

Posted:
i did once join 'jamaholics anonymous' the less known JAA

i only got to step 5 before rubbing jam all over my body and runing through the centre of nottingham to spread the love and jam everywhere

this one is shorter