Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Ok, everyones made mistakes, now time to share it with the world....

A cautionary tale....

Mine was when I was living with a couple of mates last summer. They had never seen poi before, so I was urged to show tham what the hell I was chatting about, which they thought was great. Once I had finished, I thought... time to go in for a beer.... NO..... They wanted to see fire breathing.

I bodged together a torch from an old sock and a metal rod, with wire twisted tight around the sock to hold it on. Fire breathing went great, until I went to put out the torch. I span it once, and the (still lit) sock went flying off into the night...

I shat myself and climbed onto the shed roof, looking to see where the F*?K it had gone. Two gardens down I could see a distinctive glow in a tree, and flames flickering in the night. I jumped off the roof onto the neighbours lawn, crossed the garden and jumped the next fence, only to look round to the whole family sitting down to dinner in the dining room. They haden't even noticed the small fire, or me!?!

I grabbed the sock, burning my hand, and smothered it with the damp towel, I had taken. The tree (A sort of palm-tree thing with VERY dry leaves) was still burning away quite happily. I then smothered this out, and crept back to the fence. getting back was harder. I couldn't climb the fence as it was too weak to take my weight, and had lost the adrenaline needed to jump it outwright. I had to do a forward somesault over the fence, landing on my back in a large rose bush

I crept over the neighbours lawn, via a quick dip in the pond and climbed over the wall to pick out the numerous thorns, stop the bleeding and apply savlon and some much needed TLC from my mates Girlfriend, who had seen me land in the rose-bush (while my mates were pissing themselves!)

So, no more bodge jobs for me, lesson learned the hard way.

Whats your biggest mistake.......?

p.s. sorry if that's a bit long...

TrickySmile at a stranger!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
We've had a dozen (or more) of threads like this already dude. You should check out Kato's Unofficial Confession Box amongst others....

Meh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
lol, great story. At least you didn't catch on fire.

*ponders back to his first time spinning fire*

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
my amazing 'double wrist wrap' with firechains

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
LOL , SPiral is that when you kinda do the butterfly and next thing you know you're handcuffed by two flaming poi ??? Happened to me in the beginning... Yikes

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The flaming double wrist wrap trick must be so common, When I did it I ended up with some nice black cable lines running around my wrists and a distinct lack of hair on my forearms. Shaking the damn things off put a fair few kinks in my cables too.
I'm willing to bet that a fair number of people on this board have done it at least once.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heh tricky that's the funniest dodgy twirl story i heard in a long time, but i have to know, what did the neighbours do about it? how much did they know?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Exactly Cass! AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK!: the amazing flaming forearms of death!

Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Bender_the_Offender,
The neighbours never knew. The ones directly next door didn't see anything as they weren't in, but they probably were a bit confused by the considerably flatter rose bush tho!, and the ones next to them, where the tree was burning never even noticed me or the fire, even though they were sitting just inside eating dinner! Amazing! I was wearing black at the time, so I was quite hard to see, but the fire wasn't...Lucky escape ha ha

TrickySmile at a stranger!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I know it's not really a fire mistake, but you all have to hear this.

A freind of mine (who shall remain NAMELESS), fell off his unicycle once...

There were a number of contributing factors to this.

1st, he was riding along the footpath and went over the curb without seeing it.

2nd, he was riding along the footpath and went over the curb without seeing it, IN THE RAIN!

3rd, he was riding along the footpath and went over the curb without seeing it, in the rain, IN THE DARK!

4th, he was riding along the footpath and went over the curb without seeing it, in the rain, in the dark, HOLDING A BAG OF KFC!

5th, he was riding along the footpath and went over the curb without seeing it, in the rain, in the dark, holding a bag of KFC AND TRYING TO EAT IT AT THE SAME TIME!

Personally, I'm amazed he managed to get as far as he did before falling off and scraping and grazing and bruising his whole ruddy body...

But I still like him (and KFC).

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?