Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Burning Man: 8/30 - 9/6 Black Rock City, Nevada

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Easy question: wink

Who's going!? biggrin peace

*gasp* for those who don't know, Burning man is a huge festival which started of from very humble beginings in 1986 on Baker Beach, San Francisco with 20 people attending.

It rapidly grew and since 1991 has taken place in Black Rock Desert, nevada on the western US. coast.

Last years celebrations saw over 30,586 people attend from all over the world. eek

Burning man is one of the most exciting events in the entire festival calender, with live music, hundreds of fire performers from all over, art cars, naked pixies, dust storms, booze, themed villages and magic times.

..... biggrinAnd generally supertanker sized buckets of fun biggrin.....

Dates are 30 Aug to 6th Sep.

Further info can be got from here--

Code:
https://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

Come with us, Step up a level and take a look around.....

Martin

EDITED_BY: flash fire (1083271767)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I reckon for next year someone should organise a hardcore spinning freaks camp smile

I had a great time there when I went in 2001 - I'll get back there before I die I reckon.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Know what? Crimson is being cranky with me about my wanting to spin at the Man because I don't have a "group" around here.

So screw it. I'm not spinning at the Man this year. I'll just party with my friends and I can spin plenty afterwards. It was too much of a headache last time because they ran out of passes and then the rangers wouldn't let some of us into the circle until the last minute when Crimson finally got over there to let us in and...

Basically, I've spun at the Burn and it was cool. Maybe I'll do it again one day, maybe I won't, but it's just not that important to me.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I was thinkin about it, but since it's my first time I think I'll jes watch this time.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
hey DSS....if you wanna buy my ticket to BM i'll drive with you from vegas wink

ubblol

it was worth a shot biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Lumimember
4 posts

Posted:
I camped with a group of spinners last year (InfiniteKaos) but haven't heard much from them about plans for this year. I think there was also a devoted "Spin Camp" , "Poi camp" and juggling jam after the contact jam in centercamp, I remember a poi making workshop was announce on the radio (though the art of rope bondage workshop I went to was amazing... and proved usefull) At the moment I'm planning to be in San Francisco the week before BM, getting ready and visiting friends but I'm still with out transport to get me and my friend to BurningMan. So if anyone is thinking of going through SF to BurningMan (alot do) please please let me know because having to rent a car and trash it in the desert sounds like a lot of wasted money, which could be put towards better supplies. See you in the desert.

totoro

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I'm getting more and more psyched every day. I made a new set of fire poi last night. Would love to meet up with any and all hoppers there.

I'll be camping at the Greeters' camp. I will NOT be doing the choreographed spin around the man. (I don't like the crowd at the Saturday night burn ... I prefer to spin at smaller camps with fewer people around.

Come find me. ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
bump!

-Mike

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Ok here we go. smile
I know quite a bit about the spin arround the man and man is it a hot subject. I may be repeating myself from other posts, but I'll repeat myself here because this is the major discussion thread. wink

The burn at the man is just another fire show at burningman, of which there are many. Granted it is at the man when he burns. My first year burning at the man was 2000. There were about 350 fire spinners total at burningman. As long as you had your self under controll and were not a liability, you could spin at the man. Last year there were about 2500 fire spinners at burningman (my guess) and all of them wanted to spin at the man which can only hold about 625 spinners.

So pretend your Crimson, who do you pick? You don't want anyone loosing their poi and have it prematurely light the bomb... I mean the man. So you would rather have performers you can trust. In 2002 Crimson selected groups that she trusted and had about 50 passes left over, so she had a show me burn (tryouts) on wednesday night. 300 performers showed up. She had to tell 250 of them thanks but I don't have room. frown

Last year she decided to keep it to just established groups. By doing that she decreased the number of people she had to wrangle. She delt with the leaders of the groups or shin's as they were called. The shins were in charge of everyone in their group

My group Controlled Burn runs the Fire Conclave Convergance, the theme camp in charge of checking in everyone for the night of the burn. We are also the brunt of the spinners aggressions.

I suggest everyone go to the HOP gathering, (I think it's on thursday night correct me if I'm wrong) Lets make it a huge burn, there are no limits any other time. And everyone is welcome. Lets remember what burningman is about and everyone have fun. I think burningman may be 15% fire spinners this year. eek

The night of the burn is just a performance, enjoy it and burn like mad the rest of the time. hug wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
HOP Gathering? Thursday Night? Yes. Keep us all posted.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Seriously RBM... you need to meet some of the above. I'm actually going to give you a list of folks you need to find to steal moves from and bring back to New York.

Josh is certainly one of them. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
soooo jealous of you guys frown i really wanna go this year but can't

but i will DEFINITELY be at burningman 2005 bounce2 weavesmiley bounce2

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Yes, please, NYC - tell me who the "cool kids" are and I will follow them around like a puppy dog all week.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, my best friend's FATHER is going. My mom is considering going. My MOTHER.

censored mad2 censored mad2

No, I do NOT need my mother there crimping my style.

-Mike

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
O Come On! Im sure if you mother is even concidering going She is ool as hell!!

I just wouldn't Camp anywhere near her... if you know what Im saying. I hooked up with two beautiful bi-girlfriends and I don't think I would have wanted my mother nextdoor wink

I am still thinking of going this summer, last year was a Blast!!

Will there Be a HOP Camp?
Last year I was a Bit disapointed B/C I was Unable to spinn the Night Of the Burn!! I was Not Part Of A Camp/ Conclave confused
We Need to get things rolling if we want a Camp, and a Way into the Burn!!! I just took Pictures last Burn(great Pics!!) But this year I want to be in it... After 7 years of spinning different Fire Tools I Feel I deserve it!!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My mom is NOT cool. Sometimes people go "My mom's idea of a wild time is..."

My mom doesn't even HAVE an idea of a wild time.

I'll just E-mail her the survival guide. That should scare her.
EDITED_BY: L i g h t n i n g (1086633330)

-Mike

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Then Why would she want to go?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

butchkittiemember
9 posts

Posted:
I'll be in San Fran and driving out there for people that need rides!!! We'll chat, there are a million people that would offer rides. Be sure to keep an eye out on www.craigslist.com

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If your heading out there early and going through Reno stop by our practice on wednesday night. We have a great fire community. We burn at John Champion park on Kuenzli. Ask me for directions if you think you can make it. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
bump

-Mike

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:

and another bump ....

Who's going?????? I need to start figuring out where y'all are camping so I can spy on you and learn all the poi secrets. wink

RBM

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I will be In BRC this year.I dont know If i will make HOP gathering or not but if someone posts a definante when and were ill come if I can remember . BM is just so much more than just fire spinning .so I tend to get lost in the event .

I will be camping with teh GLOM this year we are a large theme camp .so if anyone wants to drop by thats were I will be
Just look for our big sky chair.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
im sooooo going yes yes im so happy so so so so happy all see you all there

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

lllk
182 posts

Posted:
not going.
Too poor to Fly.
Must work.
stupid smelly distances.
*Kicks the atlantic*

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Just went to the SF Conclave practice last night... I had my doubts about the routine at first, but seeing it done by so many people is going to be amazing!

Crimson's insisting that all the groups show her on Friday night that they can do the routine... some of the groups are spread out geographically... so I'd say if you don't already have an established group, look for one to join! Or, just watch the 200 other spinners on the night of the burn. It sucks not to be able to watch some of the amazing spinners out there because you're in the show. If you're on Crimson's mailing list, you should know where to find the video of the routine. To subscribe to her list, e-mail: fire-conclave-announce-subscribe@burningman.com

Come by Hookahdome or Winking Lotus and look for me! I would love to meet some NY spinners.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I will be at Greeters' Camp this year ... ubbrollsmile

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
ive been wanting to go for three years now but i never seem to be in the country at the right time. this year im determined to go. its just me so i was wondering if anyone had any advice for a first timer going alone. any advice would be helpful.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
hello all people i want to go to burning man so bad but i almost cryed when i found out tickets were over 200 dollars.
i can barly pay my rent if any one knows were i can get cheaper tickets please pm me i realy could use any tips i can get thanx

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
You can apply for a scholarship ticket ... but the deadline is tomorrow. But if the ticket price is that much of a big deal, I would probably wait and save up ... it winds up costing a lot more money than you expect ... flying out to Reno, renting a car to drive there, buying all your food and water for a week, transporting all your fire toys and fuel for the week ....

Advice for a first timer? Well, have you gone to the Burningman website? There's a whole newsletter written for first timers (and veterans). www.burningman.com

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
ive checked out the site and there was a lot of great info on it. there are still a few questions i had. is it generally to late to get involved with a theme camp? and if its not how does one get involved? it seems the general feal of things are that if your involved, preferably with people who are veterans, your experiance will be better. i dont want to get there and set up my site and have it just be me and my tent. anyway, maybe im thinking about it too much.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I'll be there this year, first timer. Reluctantly spinning in Conclave smile.

Page: ...