Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Burning Man: 8/30 - 9/6 Black Rock City, Nevada

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Easy question: wink

Who's going!? biggrin peace

*gasp* for those who don't know, Burning man is a huge festival which started of from very humble beginings in 1986 on Baker Beach, San Francisco with 20 people attending.

It rapidly grew and since 1991 has taken place in Black Rock Desert, nevada on the western US. coast.

Last years celebrations saw over 30,586 people attend from all over the world. eek

Burning man is one of the most exciting events in the entire festival calender, with live music, hundreds of fire performers from all over, art cars, naked pixies, dust storms, booze, themed villages and magic times.

..... biggrinAnd generally supertanker sized buckets of fun biggrin.....

Dates are 30 Aug to 6th Sep.

Further info can be got from here--

Code:
https://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

Come with us, Step up a level and take a look around.....

Martin

EDITED_BY: flash fire (1083271767)

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I love the idea of the kidville camp spin. You can count me and Deet in.

We're camping with the greeters, but will obviously be checking in at the conclave early in the week. We arrive on Saturday night.

So psyched and SO busy getting ready. We must pack most of our stuff by the end of next week (as we ship it out from NY ahead of time).

See y'a;; out there.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure but I don't think Crimson will give us the check in stuff untill monday, but we'll be there stop by anyway. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to compile a list of Fire performances, so if you hear of anything else, let me know!

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Y'all better swing by the Paddy Mirage group on the esplinade, beside the Karma Police (37th precinct) and the Take a Flying Leap group.
Come visit Newgrange and have some of our whiskey wink
Myself and Helen shall be waiting...
Martin

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Aye, drinks aplenty at the Paddy Mirage, because drunkeness is all us irish people know how to create.....stop by and save us from ourselves

Helen beerchug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
howwoward, ill be arriving in sparks on aug 28 so ill prob be in to late to light up with you all but i thank you for the invite. im looking forward to playing with everyone on the playa.

a would post about the Hop meet up on the burning man e-playa would be great. also when that fire performance list is compiled im sure that would go over well there also. im looking forward to meeting all kinds of people at the event but im especially looking forward to meeting HoPers. smile

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok i am going to cry i wanted to go so bad but i got a huge last minute bill and can no longer afford to go frown
but i want to go still so so so bad. if any one finds out that they cant go and wants to sell there ticket for cheap please please let me know

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
thanks roberts, but I think cody's your man in Reno/Sparks beerchug

I'd love to see the british or australian HOP contingent out on the playa, but its probably too far away confused

Oh, orbit, I think you were wanting to know when the Cirque de Flambe is performing on the playa? I can try to find out, but i think we're doing something most nights...

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Orbit, it's great to have a gameplan for catiching fire shows. But I believe your favorate performances will be the ones you stuble across, the random ones on the playa. We call them Gorilla burns biggrin We show up at a random place crank out the big fire and then leave without a trace. So on the nights you don't have a plan, keep on the move and be a moth. wink

Roberts, Were leaving friday the 27th for the playa so we'll have to burn with you on the playa. Kero is here it's called Allied Washoe bring your own can they sell it out of a pump. smile

I'm posting a pre-Burningman reno burn event all are welcome if your in town early. biggrin

Cody Canon

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
sorry about the identity mix up, i guess i should only post sober from now on. thanx for the fuel info cody. how much do you generally use during the week? i dont want to run out.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
Friends don't let friends post sober ubbloco
Since I'm not cody, I'll reply tongue - I took 2.5 gallons last year, but had some left over - depends on how much you're plannin' on spinnin!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
We took 60 gallons of white gass and brought 30 back. Burners always need fuel. Take lots and share if you can. biggrin Depends on your wicks too. My 4"X4" catherdrials take up lots of fuel. and white gass goes alot quicker than kero. Depending on your transportation situation ( that rymes biggrin) 2.5 gallons is easier to carry. wink

Cody Canon

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
any one got a cheap ticket they want to sell i cant afford the regular ones frown
right know i can barrely pay my rent but i want to go to bm so bad.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
check craig's list

i might just make it!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Native - check to see if it's too late to apply for scholarship tickets.

Cody -- I thought last year that all I'd have to do is spot some fire and head for it... but that wasn't the case at all. Guerilla Burns are nice, and we even burned together a couple of times last year... (or maybe it was your twin brother?) At the end of the day, though, there is another whole side of poi - the choreographed show - that I want to see as well.

I'm already feeling overwhelmed by everything I want to do on the playa this year. It's my girlfriend's first time at BurningMan, my new camp's first year together, and we're going to be right on the corner where the esplanade ends and center camp begins -- closer to center camp than Conclave! So there will no doubt be a lot to do for my camp in terms of hosting guests... plus I'll be an Oracle at Playa Info.

As for Fuel... I brought 5 gallons of white gas and 5 gallons of lamp oil for 4 fire spinners in our camp. Although the others only spun a couple of times, I spun almost every night, PLUS I got there a few days early, PLUS I shared quite generously. I had a TON left over. Everyone I know brings too much fuel, and the Burning Man spirit is all about sharing... so I would almost suggest the opposite of what Cody's saying. Bring less fuel! 2 or 3 gallons ought to be fine. If you run out you can track me down and kick my arse, then take some of my fuel.

So WHEN is the HOP gathering?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I have been telling everyone the HOP Gathering is Thursday night just after dark. I think this is a good day to do it because most latecomers are there by thursday, and the conclave rehearsal is friday night. Orbit you are so generous for your offer of fuel. I have almost run out before at burningman (2000 & 2001) because I was sharing with everyone. But with as many firespinners at burningman now, all with the giving attitude, fuel may not be a problem. biggrin

The best way to tell me and my brother apart is he does staff, and I do poi. I have short hair now so that makes it even easier.

NATIVE it's come down to the line as far as your ticket is concerned. Now it's a test of character and your deternimation to get to burningman. You can get with a staffing agency and sweep floors at night and save up enough money for your ticket. Sell leomnade or mow lawns. Get creative and set your pride aside. A hard earned ticket is that much sweeter and people will respect you for your hard work. wink
Good luck biggrin

Cody Canon

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
its to late for the scolarship tickets i was invited to go to practice with the sanfra clave but cant find away up there any one from the vally and willing to give a lift???

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
so a summary of Fire Spinning:

Tuesday - Kidsville @ dusk - Earth and 5:30
Wednesday - Hookadome @ 10PM - 4:00 and Esplanade
Thursday - HOP meetup @ dusk - location ?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I believe the location for the HOP gathering was 6:00 at the man, but sometines there is art right in front of him. I wasn't at the HOP Gathering last year so I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Cody Canon

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
Nor was I, but why not just set the place and we'll work around whatever art is there... It'll be hard to miss a bunch of spinners wink
Why don't we meet a bit before dusk so that we can all see each other's faces? eek

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Great idea, so it's set just before dark meet at the man 6:00 location thursday night. Maybee I'll bring some "Hello my name is " stickers so we can put our names/ nicknames on them. biggrin

Cody Canon

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
There are also some performances... I'm working on finishing up the list, but here's what I got so far...

PYROSUTRA
Center Camp Cauldron
day???

INFINITE KAOS
Center Camp Cauldron
day???

MUTAYTOR
"farewell" show (I'll believe it when I see it)
1/2 hour after the man falls
behind Temple of Stars

TEMPLE OF POI SHOWS:

Wed
about 8:30ish at Opulent Temple of Venus (next to lush I believe on the 2 o'clock end of town).

Thurs
7 pm
Starlight Express, 5:00 & Mercury.

Fri
After dress rehearsal at the man
sol system, 10 and esplande.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Sol system or sol henge as it's called this year. Bring your ear plugs, that thing's lowd. I prefer to listen to it at the temple. Comes in cristal clear there wink

So many performances eek If I catch half I might have time to spin some of my own fire out there. wink

Cody Canon

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Oooohhh soooo jealous!...I hope to get there sometime before the new millenium....hope you all have a fantastic time, lurv to see some pics!!

I'm out of my mind...but you can leave a message

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Tjoni start saving now and next year will be possible and very worth it.

The pre burningman creative juces are flowing. My girlfrend painted the inside of our trailer to look like outerspace and I have a new fire prop in creation. I don't want to divulge what it is, you'll have to come and see. I had to learn how to sweat copper and tie a fishing net to make it biggrin

There that ought to get ya thinkin. wink

The man burns in 17 days bounce bounce2 sunny

Cody Canon

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
sweating copper? gee, cody, sounds like you're made of metal!

Folks, no wonder he's so good! When fire touches him, he doesn't burn, but only heats up biggrin

ROTFL..

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I must be made of metal today. I have a bad case of lead-in-the-assitis wink

Fire definately touches me, but I loose hair instead of copper devil

The man Burns in 16 days and I'm leaving in 9 bounce bounce2 sunny

Cody Canon

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
speaking of which, I'll be there on the 27th, working medical - I'll see ya early comers then!

assitis = inflammation or irritation of the a$$ - better known as a$$ pain....

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
To the contrary, inflamation of the a$$ is the exact opposite effect i.e. a$$ on fire

maybee its lead-in-the-assosis or lead-in-the-asspnia or lead-in-the-assacardia in need of an assenectomy biggrin
hmmmm (not a dr therefore don't care) tongue

offtopic
biggrin

We'll be arriving the 27th before dark 5:30 and esplanade. look/listen for Daves "flame effects devices" X4

Cody Canon

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'll be at the burn this year (playa virgin). I just started learning poi and am interested in any workshops or one on one coaching that may be available.

I know of one camp that offers beginner classes as well as comet poi construction: The Faerystar Artists Guild, part of the Isle of Avalon, located at 6:30 and Earth. Here is their schedule:

8/31/2004 1200 to 1400: Creating Comet Poi
8/31/2004 1300 to 1500: Beginner Poi
9/1/2004 1530 to 1700: Beginner Poi
9/1/2004 1500 to 1600: Creating Comet Poi
9/3/2004 1230 to 1400: Beginner Poi
9/3/2004 1200 to 1300: Creating Comet Poi (if supplies remain)

See you on the Playa

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Page: