MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so what to get my mom for Mother's day?

Ok, the woman has everything. And she's quite wealthy, so whatever she doesn't have...she can get. She just re-did the kitchen counters in polished granite.

Oh, I know "make her something." Yeah. With my technical skills, it will look like it was made by a demented third-grader. And with what time?

She does collect cows and pigs (well, anything that looks like either one). That's all I can think of is to go hunting for something that looks like a cow or pig collectable.

Ideas? confused

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Did the "cow parade" make it to detroit (or wherever your mother lives)? Those are some of the coolest cows I've ever seen. They came through Houston at least 3 years ago, and a bunch of us went and took pictures with many of the cows for someone's b-day. It was loads of fun. I know they made ceramic cows out of some of them (I was given one for my b-day that year). I know some were sold at Hallmark stores. Maybe you could locate one and give that?

For those that have no clue what I'm talking about, several cities across the US hosted the cow parade. Companies would pay money to decorate these cows any way they saw fit and then they would be displayed across town for several months. The decoration mostly consisted of really awesome unique paint jobs. Some had things attached to the cow as well.

Here's a link to see just some of them.

Anyways, I thought they were really cool. I've got pics of Vanize doing improper things to the blazing saddles one too...

I guess I'll have to figure out something to get mom as the same time I figure out something to get dad for father's day...they just left to go "out west" for 6 weeks and won't be back until the middle of june so I've got a few more weeks to think.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Corny, but mums love pictures of their children. Well most of the ones I know do.

A sketch of you maybe or an interesting portriat.

I had a pet pig ubblove as a child, and a pet calf as well.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i took my mother to a opera/jazz recital thing for her birthday. we had so much fun that we'll probably do that from now on!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I agree with gnor most mother love photos...my mother had her birthday just a couple of weeks ago and because she was complaining about not having enough photos of me I printed up that fire photo of me doing wire wool and got a really nice frame to put it in.

Now she can't complain she doesn't have a photo of me anymore...hehehe

It's also good for people on a budget (which I most definintely am)

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
ubbideaHow about a video camera, US$10, and a one way ticket to Thailand... and she needs to find a way back...Mother's day Surviver style!!! biggrin

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
my brother got my mum a dvd player for her birthday. hilarious! biggrin my parents are so technologically impaired, that i have to reset the vcr & stereo clock every time i go over there!!

good thread - i've been wondering what to get my mum too!! confused i got her crockery for her birthday...and christmas...tho she is building up quite a nice collection of white maxwell williams plates, bowls, etc. she started it - i didn't force it upon her!!

but now i'm out of ideas for mothers day! sometimes it really it a pain having her birthday ten days after christmas (& mine 3 days after that!)!!

ubbloco

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Am I the only one who finds these faux-celebrations to be deeply disturbing?

The card companies market them as "a day you can show your mother/father/secretary/goldfish/whatever how much you appreciate them."

Like you can't any other other day of the year.

My mother would appreciate me being there and having a day with her far more than any bought item designed to put money in Hallmark's coffers.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
totally agree eera. if im going to get a card, i almost always make it myself. i think the personal touch really makes the difference.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i didnt get my mum a acrd, cos as yousay its money in hallmarks pocket (or tescos which is were i normally get my cards from) but i did get her teh nice new zero 7 album, cos i wante dto stear her music taste off classical stuff and show her there is some good new stuff!

shes a radio 2listener! eek

Step (el-nombrie)

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Take her out to lunch or dinner and just wine & dine her for the afternoon. She may be a woman who wants for nothing, but everyone enjoys good food & good company....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Cow Parade made it to London. but sadly they were auctioned to the wealthy/insane, and they are no longer on public view.

I liked cow parade. I must have hugged around 20-30 of the London cows.

ubbloco

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
the home made thing is based in the idea that you put time in to it for her,

so if you can't make something, just spend the time with her. Give her a day of rest where you cook & do everything or take her somewhere nice.

if she could buy anything she wanted then give her something she can't buy - you!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Wow your Mothers day is a different time of year to ours!

How about this to make her laugh...

Take one of the wee plastic card bags and get some dried butter beans. Paint black dots on them (they are Friesian milking cows) When they are dry put them into the plastic bag and taking a piece of card fold it in two (making a smallish greeting card) On the front put your stamp or clip art of a cow with Cow Seeds Herd Starter Kit directions inside printed below. Inside the instructions read like this:
1. Start your own herd
2.Plant the seeds in warm spot right side up.
WARNING: Cow will grow upside down if planted wrong.
3.Be patient, it takes a long time to start your own herd.
4.For best results, MOO softly while watering.

wink ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Hobbitboymember
33 posts

Posted:
I am sooooo confused..... confused
Mothers Day was like last month! AArrrggghhh!
My head!

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Easy solution ubbidea: do something silly!
Get a bunch of her friends over and use cheapo body paint to dress up as a mixed herd of cows and pigs. (Curly tails,cow bells etc.)

She'll be the only "normo" among the lot of you, and it'll make for some great photos!

This side of the room, can yo give me an oink? "OINK, OINK!!"
Other side, can you give me a mooo? "MMMOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Not loud enough! AGAIN! biggrin

...and so on....
-M-

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
ubbidea ubblocoplay poi naked.That will creates feelings to her... it would be a good surprise eek

The only thing constant in life is change...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ubbidea ubblocoplay poi naked.That will creates feelings to her... it would be a good surprise eek

you obviously have a strange relationship with your mother.....

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
We did a thing like the cow parade, except ours were flying pigs- some were pretty cool. someone on my street owns one and has it in their front yard.
For mothers day we used to make her breakfast in bed, but I can't get out of bed early enough any more... ubblol
we are doing pottery in my art class at school right now, so I made her a vase this year.
Happy mothers day to any of the mothers out there!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i love the growing your own herd thing!!! ubblol that is soooo funny!!! and my mum would think it was hilarious!! especially with the ones that grow upside down!!!! hehe

meditate

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
something my sister did one year that was kinda cute.....

make one of those plaster of paris hand print things. you know the ones you did in kindergarten? that way she has a young you and an older you hand print smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Teach her poi, and give a free fireshow smile weavesmiley

Now, time to think about what I'm gonna get my mom! It's this weekend eek Now you all got me a thinkin!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier