Forums > Social Chat > i am wondering about something

Login/Join to Participate

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
this is not a technical question so i might as well plop it in here.
i've only been at it a week but i found it hard to concentrate on just one thing.
so when u 'learn a new trick' do u practise it till u are perfect or do other stuff in between.
i mean i can do a soso butterfly but after 30 minutes or so i simply HAVE to try out something different or i go bonkers (which is the reason why i am messing about with that darned weave thingy).
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
on a side note i am not known for a large attention span and much patience so that might be a reason
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I always tried to practice as many moves as I could, cause I had the same problem you do. only with me it was about 5-10 minutes before I got sick of practicing one move.
also I think it helps to change it up some, if you practice the same move for awhile you screw up more and more, resulting in your hands learning to do it improperly since they spend more time doing it wrong rather then right.

just my thoughts

sodium

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Malcolm actually has a great philosophy behind this, do a move for 15 minutes then move on to something else. I have done that throughout my learning and I swear by it! This way I don't get too frustrated, I am still very much intrigued by what I am doing and I have a broader span of moves to choose from when I want to just play. I have found that I have learned the most and best this way. Also, though, I practice each move everyday, to the point where I will do a move that is now basic to me for 3 or so minutes straight to be certain that it is smoothe and polished then I will transition into another basic move and repeat it for 3 or so min, and it is a wonderful way to warm up.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What I do is I work to frustration and then I stop. So right now, I'm trying to nail the five-beat weave. I got close yesterday, but then I just got fed up. I've found that I can't really learn when I'm pissed off, so I played around with some old moves that I'm good at, put the poi down, and went to study.

Today, I'm done studying, so I'll do some yoga (I always do yoga or meditation before I spin) and then I'll work on that five-beat again.

But I guess that I've found that I'll eventually get the move, even if it takes a year. I just have to have faith in my athletic ability and be patient. But trying to force the issue isn't going to make me learn the move any faster, and it might even be counterproductive.

The other thing is that when I get frustrated, I'll meditate for a couple of minutes and then go work on a different move.

I *will* get that five-beat weave. It might be sometime in 2006, but I'll get it.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Lt Furlongmember
21 posts

Posted:
Just a thought, nut it out with the one move you're trying to get, and when you think you can't take it anymore, switch to a series of other moves you know well, but finish with something that uses similar movements, and then try and go into the new move again. I've done this for a few moves and it works surprisingly well for me

My latest achievements: One handed butterfly, fountain, and that 5 beat weave is almost within my grasp!