Forums > Help! > Help, I can't weave for anything!

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I've been trying and trying, but I just can't seem to get the hang of the weave:(
No matter what, I just end up with tangles, or I end up getting whacked,and then I just want to bounce the darn poi off of a wall or something.
I've been thinking of buying the instructional video from the online shop here, will that help me any?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
well, before anyone else does, i'll let you know this: do a search for it through here, there's a button up there somewhere for it. If that still doesnt help, then come back into this post, and ask again.

Im not being rude here, but its probably been covered in waaay greater detail than i can provide. Best of luck, and hang in there! It'll come biggrin

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Well, the Michael Kahn book is quite good.
And practice with clubs makes the whole thing a bit more easy. Cause you can controll them more.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
if you can't do it from instructions on the net (which is hardly surprising) then i reckon you should find someone to teach you.

there really is no substitute for a good teacher and they can tell you exactly what you are doing wrong, rather than being like a video and just showing you the same thing over and over again (which is well annoying if you still can't do it.)

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
angel2 [Old link] angel2

ubbangel [Old link] ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys:) I followed the links, did a bit of surfing from there and found a couple of videos that should help:)
One demonstrates the proper hand movements with a stick- that should be helpful. Scary thing is, I've probably done it numerous times with a staff already.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
mebbe thats the problem
staff is locked together... you need two sticks or rulers or clubs and just work it out there...

the way i always try to explain it it make one hand do a figure of eight in front and just follow it with the other hand....

trying to save you money here...

friends are useful!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

prometheuslovemember
8 posts

Posted:
weavesmileyhi. the way i learned, (and i'm not so sure if this will help if you can't see it) is to start with one poi in you hand, put the other one down, and just focus on one side at a time. so, you have one in your hand, and you just start slow, with just a forward spin, make sure your plains are realitivly flat, and then you cross it in front of your body like a figure eight. go back to the comforitable forward spin as often as you need to, and repeat figure eight. then practice with the other side. i found it easier if you are just focusing on one hand/side at a time. hope that helps devil

truth, love, life,and fire(of course)

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Try and segmentate the proces. If you have clubs, use them.
Just take it nice and easy.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Although it's worth saying that for some people clubs are no use at all.

Me, for example, I've never been able to make use of clubs to help learn any move, I'm much better off using poi throughout.

But some people seem to find them a good in between step.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i have to agree with one wheel there!! i found my clubs recently and tried to do some poi moves with them, but i ended up whacking myself in the head! which is really bad cos i used to do calisthenics, and used clubs every week for a couple of years!! now i'm useless with clubs!! ubbloco

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Have you tried repeating "Over-under-out" out loud in a New Zealand accent to yourself?

That's how I learnt smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

zebradavidSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
lol thats how ive been teachin my dancin friends to do the weave, and each time i start sayin that they normally start chasin me with there poi so that they can hit me, but it does help

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
If this is any use....

...when I've taught poiple to weave I found a real easy way. Start with both poi going at same time at your sides. Then cross your arms like when boxers do Jump rope. Try to do this until it's a smooth transition from straight to crossed and back to straight. You'll notice when your arms cross you will have left arm over right arm or right arm over left arm. Make sure you learn both and try to do them one after the other..ie...right over left....left over right...right over left....left over right.

The weave is basically the same motion as this except in split time...ie..one poi is moving 180 degrees different from the other so one is ahead. Then you get the "chase" or "weave" in 3bts.

If you do the right over left...left over right alternating etc you'll have three beats. If you only do right over left...right over left you'll be doing two beats.

You might find it useful to look in this forum

and in particular this video from poipoipoi's site although you may need to register to watch the vids. Personally I think he has the best tutorial vids I've ever seen. biggrin

l8rs!

weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove