Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > can someone teach me how to do a butterfly weave?

Login/Join to Participate

AznRaidermember
4 posts

Posted:
hi, can someone help me out on the butterfly weave? thanks

The poi told me to do itmember
6 posts
Location: Perth, WA, Australia, southen hemisphere, Earth, m...

Posted:
The way I learnt it was start by spinning the poi by your sides in oposite directions, then when you cross over have one hand avove the other far enough so you feel comfortable and can actually do the crossovers, once you feel comfortable enough with that you can progress to moving your hands closer together and also alternating which hand is on top.

the tricky concept with this move is the fact that the poi are passing next to each other going in oposite directions, which although seems like a perposterously stupid idea and also stupidly dangerous, is very doable. Then again if you think about it what part of fast moving chains spining in circles around you body is not a perposterously dangerous concept. I hope I have been some help.

have fun and good luck
Reece

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
as sson as i herd of it i tried it and the best definition is its name, if u can weave and buttefyl to your side than u can do it jsut remember that your jsut doing a butterfly but while movien your hgands as if u were weaving, and thread to needle is a good thing to learn b4 u try this

it must be green

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

bf weave... also, try moving one hand across at a time. so cross left hand to left side, so a few spins, then cross right hand over to the left. do a few spins then move right hand over, then left. repeat.

really important to learn first are:

split-time thread the needle
reverse split-time ttn

then do this exercise, which is similar to the one above but with the four arm positions required for the bf weave:

1. spin fwd split-time bf on right hand side (wheel plane)
2. move right arm to left hand side
3. move left arm across to join the other arm - you should now be spinning a rev split-time bf on your left hand side.
4. move left arm to left hand side.
5. move right arm back across and into position 1 again.

if you can do this with no beats in between the arm movements and one beat of split-time ttn on each side (to get the appropriate arm above/underneath for the crossover), you will be spinning a 3bt butterfly weave.

i think i typed this somewhere before.
but it probably made less sense then anyway...

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AznRaidermember
4 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone!! I'll be working on it. biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm bumping this because after a bit of a search I couldn't find what I wanted but this was close enough and it saved making a new thread.

I'm trying to learn the BTB Butterfly weave. I'm having a few problems that stem from not being able to work out how to thread the needle on the right hand side. I can do the first half of the weave on the left with a forward butterfly but coming over to the right where the butterfly is backwards I don't seem to be able to thread the needle to make my way back again (I hope that made sense). Any advice or tips on how to do this or is it just a case of keep doing it until you have a sore head and then give up forever and take up train spotting?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Can you do reverse TNT? If you can do both fwd & rvse TNT, then it's a case of bashing your head until you get it.. or .....

good luck
weavesmiley

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I can do a butterfly weave infront of me so yes I can do a forward and a backward thread the needle.I just can't seem to get it to work when its behind my back frown

:le sigh: Please don't make me wear an anorak!

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
If you're trying to do it in the wheel plan (poi spinning towards or away from ya bod) start in wall plane, then keeping you hands in the same place through-out....turn your body 90 degrees to one side. that'll help you get used to the feel of doing the move at your sides, then you can work on bashing your head (or transferring from one to the other).

Failing that.......you'll be needing a pencil & pad to go with your anorak wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
This maybe due to many days with little sleep or it maybe due to the fact we are running along two different train tracks here but I haven't got a clue what you are on about..........

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeah, i don't find it too easy describing moves in words.....ermm...

do a TTN infront, then turn your body (say left) but don't move ya hands(so they're in a weave style position)...the anoraks still an option wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I can do a butterfly weave............. I just can't do it behind my back. I'm failing to see how what you are telling me to do will help me do it btb.

Ok maybe I'm not making myself plain enough. I want to learn how to do a butterfly weave from side to side of my body behind my back (not a butterfly waist wrap). I already can do it with my hands up front of my body from side to side in a weave stylie. I just want to learn to do it with my hands behind my back.......... side to side......... involving a backwards ttn on the right hand side....... once I get that I'll work at doing it with the backwards ttn on the left hand side.........i.e. change the direction the poi are spinning in..........

Ok where do I sign to get my anorak? I'm guessing its me not making sense that is hindering me getting a fruitful reply to my request.

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
didn't realise you meant behind the back....I can't do that either....tho I suspect double jointed elbows'll help...
scuse me while I'll go buy an anorak too.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:

if you can do it up front, then you should be able to get it btb.. if you turn wallplane, you should be able to get the part in the front easily enough becauseits like up front.. and all you have to do is turn your torso( (legs stay where they are) so that as it comes to the other side, it is facing another front wallplane.. whihc again shouldnt be too tough to learn since its like doing it up front.. after a little bit you'll get more comfortable and slowly move it back and forth without having to move your torso back and forth like walplanes.. the exageratted motions just help you work off someting you know and give you a little more room..

if you still have problems, try leaning forward a little bit, and act like you are doing them beneath you...

g/l wave

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
U GUYS ARE INSANNNEE! UR TALKING BOUT BUTTERFLY WEAVE BEHIND YOUR BACK!!........ ubbidea that never even crossed my mind, like.... haha! thats the craziest thing ever! if u could do it maaaaadd props cus thats not an obvious trick to learn.
btw if u learn it, film it and post a tutorial cus i'de love tgo c what that looks like

it must be green

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hi skully wave

Written by: coleman

reverse split-time ttn

the same thing goes for btb, so spend your time working towards doing that reverse thread the needle behind your back on the left hand side.

if you are right handed, it would make a lot of sense that this is the bit you're stuck on smile

doing a (reverse) ttn in this position is very awkward and because your right arm is the most restricted, the left hand is the one that does most of the work.

you could try these exercises:

stage one:

do the reverse thread the needle in front of you on the left side (like in a normal butterfly weave).

watch the movements your left hand makes during this ttn and try to exaggerate it.

keep exaggerating the left hand movement until you can do the rev ttn in this position keeping your right hand almost stationary - the left hand should be doing almost all of the required movement now.

stage two:

do the same exercise but ensure your right hand always faces palm upwards and your left hand, palm downwards.

repeat but bring the poi lower down on your left hand side, towards your waist until you have your right wrist as close to your left hip as you can manage.

remember to keep the palms facing the way i mentioned earlier and ensuring your left hand is still doing nearly all of the necessary movement to do the ttn.

the reason you do this bit is because this position and orientation of hands is as similar as you can get to the btb position but with your arms still in front of you (does that make sense?).

stage three:

try the reverse ttn on your left side btb again smile

start by swinging your right poi btb on the left side (your right wrist should be sat just above your left hip), then start swinging the left hand, bringing it straight into the accentuated ttn movement you were doing at the end of stage two.

really accentuate that left hand movement in the tnn.

once you can hold a ttn in this position for a couple of beats, you're ready to go back to trying the bf weave btb again ubbrollsmile

hopefully that should help a bit.

failing that, bend forwards and point your bum towards the side the butterly is on.

swing your bum towards the other side as the leading poi starts to cross.

it looks really messy like that though and you'll have far less control overall so i reckon its the same as cheating wink

hug

cole. x

p.s. for ucof: its wasn't 'balls' that was being censored - i changed the word to 'bum' so it all makes sense now.

apparently we're allowed to say arsehole but if you drop the 'hole off the end then its very rude and must be censored confused
EDITED_BY: coleman (1118399705)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
is the word b-a-l-l-s being censored out now?
umm

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thank you Cole, Rev and Morph for trying to help. I will try to inwardly digest your words.... work out what the hell you mean ubblol and then give it another go.

UCoF stop pulling the thread off topic spank Naughty lil Biatch No.1!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Agreed that it's a lot easier to learn in the wall plane waist wrap style. Further to reach, but easier to get around your body smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
ditto Yea btb ttn weave ww is not easy but i find it eaiser than btb ttn weave, but iv just realized you can do it in the frickin wall plane...and its still harder than ww styles. You can also do it by turning around (btb plane) which is what iv been trying to nail for ages. frown
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1119323800)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
thought i'd try my own advice and learn the 3bt bf weave btb at the weekend (right poi fwd, left poi rev).

i'm halfway along - i can get from left to right but my left hand has trouble coming back to its own side.

and that's because i can't do a ttn there yet smile

as soon as i can, this move will be sorted i reckon.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea smile TTN is the key. No point trying to turn around if you dont even know the reverse combo.

Peace_Pipernewbie
7 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Written by: Mr_JEd

bf weave... also, try moving one hand across at a time. so cross left hand to left side, so a few spins, then cross right hand over to the left. do a few spins then move right hand over, then left. repeat.

reverse split-time ttn

then do this exercise, which is similar to the one above but with the four arm positions required for the bf weave:

1. spin fwd split-time bf on right hand side (wheel plane)

2. move right arm to left hand side

3. move left arm across to join the other arm - you should now be spinning a rev split-time bf on your left hand side.

4. move left arm to left hand side.

5. move right arm back across and into position 1 again.

if you can do this with no beats in between the arm movements and one beat of split-time ttn on each side (to get the appropriate arm above/underneath for the crossover), you will be spinning a 3bt butterfly weave.

i think i typed this somewhere before.

but it probably made less sense then anyway...

juggle

This has confused me quite alot, I can do thread the needle on boths sides of me and bring each arm over to the other side left or right hand first... but which one is the butterfly weave? I'm much more comfortable bringing the right over to my right hand side and having the left follow it over - I'm just as happy bringing them both over at the same time, but having the right swap over to the left first feels very unnatural and I can't imagine there being any visual difference between this and swapping right to right first confused oh and hi! biggrin
EDITED_BY: Peace_Piper (1170283881)

Affluenza, n. a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more.

Peace_Pipernewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Just found a gif, it seems I'm doing 6bt bf weave! Guess I'll just have to play to find what's best

Affluenza, n. a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more.