Forums > Technical Discussion > weights for my friend's staff?

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I'm maknig a staff for my friend (from an aluminium broomstick) and we need something to use for weights at the ends.

I need some cheap material to use (not kevlar), any ideas??

weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
I'm going to assume that by weights you mean wicking (since you said kevlar). Shop around online and you should be able to find some good deals. HoPs shop is pretty good. But where ever you find if, wicking's going to be pretty expensive, so try buying it by the foot or yard rather than rolls.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I REALLY suggest kevlar. Even though its somewhat expensive, over time it will be 100 percent worth it. You can use cotton towels or denim which are really the only two alternatives I would suggest but these things dont last long at all. You could blow more money on towel in a week than you would in a year with Kevlar.

If youre still set on not using Kevlar, cotton towel is what I sometimes use. Automotive stores usually sell good 100 percent cotton towels in bundles which is where I get em.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
You can, but it's a hell of a lot more dangerous that way, you have to worry about flaming towel bits when the cloth burns away (which is pretty quick). A buddy of mine got burned pretty good from a sock, still has the scar.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I meant non-fire staff... ubbloco

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ohhh... Erm,

Tennis balls? Duct tape wrapped around the end? A pair of small animals? I dunno, anything would work really.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
erm - we use fabric folded into long lengths of about 5 inches across and a metre long. tape one end to the stick and roll it on like wick, being careful to maintain a strong tension - this will cause it to compact. Once its on use clear stickytape and go over and overand round and round til your heart says stop.

this gives a good weight and also a good solid padding - without the drag normally associated with fabric.

The tips will wear, but you just whack more tape on there.,

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this will help, but when I was in high school I was on the flag team and we used to get big bolts that we would drop into each end and then plug up the ends with a rubber stopper of some sort, but I'm sure you could plug it up with a towel or something. Of course this will only work if the staff is hollow on the inside. Good luck.

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ive mademost o fthe staff types above, for tidyness, i would go with fireflye, with a large choach bolt in teh end, and either glued or screwed in place,

if you wnat on eto resemble a fire staff use cloth on end like you would with a staff,

or use tennis balls if you wnat hi vis ends?

Step (el-nombrie)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Dont forget the small animals, if you want a staff that squeeks when spun.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
and goes quiet when dropped on concrete...

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
devil ubblol

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
I used cotton towel wrapped around the end then duct tape around that. On my second model i put a rubber stopper on the end before wrapping with duct tape. Use what materials you may have lying around. Black electrical tape works as well, but you need more of it. I even used colored electrical tape over my duct tape to make it more "stylish"?...lol. The towel helps if/when you whack yourself with it, especially with metal. I prefer wood but i like to kick my staff. It may be good to wrap the middle with some grip tape as well, but i am working on more contact staff these days and i couldnt do it as well without it. My .02 cents worth.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
when you wieght your staff make shure it is balanced
if it is not you wont be able to do proper moves with the staff. i sugest that you stuff the hallow ends with wood. this will add the wieght and not add as much drag on your staff

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
hehe yeah i do the same as Josh and Mayhem. Just grab whatever material, but make sure its sorta beefy (I used old corduroy). tape it, wrap it tight, then I go over mine with green electrical/PVC tape, it looks quite good, then I just make the handles out of the same tape, in a tennis grip overlap style.

It's quite easy and damn cheap.

- Klaymen