PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
hello!I will try to make 2 staffs.Not the big ones but the small(you know the ones that you can play them both) what size is the best?Big kevlar or small(i mean thin stripe or fat ) confused

The only thing constant in life is change...

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
There's no correct answer to your questions--this is all a matter of personal preference. I have a friend who's a big guy, and he twirls doubles that measure about 75 cm. Another friend who's an average-height woman, and she twirls doubles that are about 150 cm.

From what I've seen, longer doubles are extremely difficult to do well. I've got a set that are about 105 cm, and I think anything longer would be too long.

The total amount of wicking is more important than the length or width, and this is really a matter of how much weight you are comfortable with. Again, there's no easy answer to this.

Perhaps Charles will chime in here.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
short doubles? how short?

small wicks are obviously a good idea on 3 foot (90cm) sticks. You don't want the flames licking your hands eek

a friend of mine (bairie fen) has some 3ft doubles with large wick (can't remember exact dimensions of the top of my head)

that were actually really painful to spin. i had to spin pretty damn them fast without slowing for the first couple of minutes, or it was like putting my hands into a campfire.

(yes, i do know how that feels. Don't ask... rolleyes )

My arms ended up 'sunburnt' all over, particularly around the wrists. And it stopped me spinning any more fire for the rest of the night due to the increased sensitivity my arms had to heat afterward.

i dunno, maybe i'm just a sissy redface

Afterwards ben told me that when he uses them he just does throws for the first couple of minutes ubblol

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would lik esome nesbit fire staffs at about 3-4foot, with some nice monkey fist wicks on teh ends, but alas i think someone pinched my idea, and now has them, so i cant do it now, it wouldnt be unique, instead i will go and make a set of double flag staffs, and taunt this person again, like i did with biccies

( ubblove you sim biggrin )

Step (el-nombrie)

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
I am planning to buy pipes but I do not know which matterial????:( ok I think each will be about 100cm or 90cm and i will make 2 holes in each side for the screws so I can put the kevlar.In the middle I think i will dress it with inner tube(you know what the bikes have...).Then how can I paint it?If I use a normal paint I think it will melt.What shall I do?Which matterial that I can easly find?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i dunno, maybe i'm just a sissy redface

bah humbug! respect to yoo for twirling the long staves i see twirled by ya!
long staves look cool as!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Instead of assuming that shorter is easier, its good to remember that shorter is DIFFERENT.

Two year sago I would have suggested getting long staves, at least 1.2 metres. Now, I would say makw 2 practice sets.

1 long and 1 short.

Then play with them lots and see which you prefer...

There's no need to go into fire toys straight away, better to practice with lengths first and then go to the trouble and expense of making the firey ones.

in my opinion...

(PS HI ADAM GREAT TO SEE YOU ON THE BOARD!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
hey!you are daddy????? biggrin biggrin ubbrollsmile
kiss your kid 4 me! kiss

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Long staves are good for contact while short staves are good for buzzsaws and tosses. Since I suck at contact I prefer short staves (~30 inches). It really depends on how you like to spin. And of course, shorter staves need smaller wicks otherwise youll burn yourself.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I don't believe that you "suck at contact".

Merely your prediclection for shorter staves is holding you back a little... wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?