Xtal

Total posts: 7
Posted:I've looked over most things on the site and forums about the 4 beat weave. Now, I understand what I'm supposed to do, but I'm constantly running into the problem of when my hands are on the lhs, and my left poi always does one of the following when i do the left poi's 2nd spin: Wraps around my right poi, or wraps around my right hand. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, but any advice would be great. weavesmiley

Delete Topic

joulz
joulz

enlightened
Total posts: 187
Posted:hey:) i can do alot of things but one thing ic ant do is 5 beat weave oh yeah i've also come to the conclusion that 4 beat doesnt exist cus if u spin a fourth beat on.. lets say your right side, after the spin is completed u ahve to untangle on your other side, therefor adding an extra beat and if u do that fourth beat on your left side, itll end up beeing a 5 beat. get it? cool

it must be green

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3899
Posted:yeah, it's all a matter of definition, and once upon a time there were these extended arguments on HoP about defining beats, especially in weaves.

I am personally of the opinion that weaves in poi are like cascades in juggling - only possible in odds. That said, when you very first go from a three beat weave to a 5 beat weave (or back), there is one 4 beat weave inbetween, as you do not have the unwind beat from the wrapped cross the first time (or you don't have the arap up beat on the transition back to 3 beat, but you do have the unwrap beat).

So it is my opinion that even beat weaves are only possible as isolated events beween between odd beat weaves. IT is possible to do a 3 beat, 4 beat, 3 beat combo, but you can't do say 3 beat, 4 beat, 4 beat, 3 beat.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3899
Posted:as for the advice on how to accomplish what I call a 5 beat weave, the trick is to wrap your wrist together - bringing your backhand wrist over you forhanded one and then pull this whole twisted configuration across your body before you unwrap it. The hard part is waiting long enough to get the correct amount of twist up without getting too much.

Higher beat weaves (7 or 9by my definition standard) are also possible, but then you must learn to work with those chain or hand wrap ups (I personally use my hand to wind up around, as this gives more control in the unwrap, but frankly I would only use this method with ballchain - any other type of chain being too prone to tangling and locking around your hand or arm).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

Xtal

Posted:Much thanks . smile

Delete

joulz
joulz

enlightened
Posted:biggrin

it must be green

Delete

Mr_Jedly
Mr_Jedly

Total posts: 195
Posted:weaves.... regardless of not being able to do even beat 'weaves' - it's purely a name thing. when 4 beat weaves are said, it simply means each poi does two circles on each side of your body. - either left hand follows right or right follows left when crossing.

Xtal, try learning the 3 beat weave with your wrists together? - keep your hands as close together as possible. when you do the extra beat/s over 3, your wrists wrap around each other. most people i watch do the weave do it with their hands far apart & moving alot & you cannot do the 4/5/6/7 beat weaves with your hands apart. hope that helps abit? bounce bounce2
hehehe love these new 'Graemlins'

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing.

Delete

Tao Star
Tao Star

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1662
Posted:Quote:
you cannot do the 4/5/6/7 beat weaves with your hands apart.

you can! it just takes a bit of practice, but it sorts the beats out so they're not all mushed together.

not the 7bt though - you might be able to, but i couldn't tell you cos i can only do 1 side, or both with face hitting.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

simian
simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
Total posts: 3149
Posted:i find really nice to cross my arms at the middle of my forearms, so both hands end up next to the elbow of the other arm.

indeed, you can do a 5 beat with your arms crossing at the elbows instead of wrists, or possibly even higher up the arms.

If you're stretchy like Dhalsim, that is. i've heard that dude does a mean 9beat btb weave...

Non-Https Image Link

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

grace
grace

Total posts: 117
Posted:I find the concept of 4/5 beat weaves hard to grasp i can do 3 beat i can do backwards weave and turning ect. I can alomst do btb weave but i have no idea how to grasp 4/5 beat .... can anyone describe it?

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:5bt is same as 3bt but with an extra circle oneach side, achived by 'wrapping' your hands around each other.

thats a bad descrption... if you do a search im sure youll find some better ones smile

but dont worry to much about it... in my opinion 5bt is all hype. theres better things to be learning.

wave

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

joulz
joulz

enlightened
Posted:once again, the 4 beat only exists if u do it once, ( like on one side) cus if u bring it on the other side, the unwrapping poi will cause an extra beat to add to your serie, so that 4th beat becomes the 5th
think about it: normal weave: ( left side) 2 spins with right hand, 1 spin with left
5 beat weave: ( left side) 2 spin with right hand, 2 spin with left hand
oh ahdn like oli said: if u dont get it down, its not the most imp move,cus since your wrists are wrapped u cant do things as easely since u have to unwrap them biggrin
wait.. k not so cimplicated or hard but for a beginner i guess, many more moves have to be learnt

it must be green

Delete

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Total posts: 595
Posted:Joulz, untrue... you could bring it back to your left side again a beat earlier, resulting in a 4 beat weave. A beat later makes it a 5 beat weave (wrap the extra beat on both sides) wrapping an extra time on one beat is 4 beats.

Delete

joulz
joulz

enlightened
Posted:fine but u could only do it once since u'de be relying on the extra wrap one so u'de be doing 4 beat the first time on left for ex, then 1unwrap+3 beat weave then bring it back to the left and... eek wait.. u jsut do a 4 beat then.. fine do another 1unwrap+3 bt weave, but that would would mean u only wrap wrists on the left side and the right side would be doing a normal 3 beat + the unwrapping motion...
makes sense but needs some thought, coolill try it later on
but still i dont think it should be called a 4 beat weave in that case since the move is not the same for each side and is jsut a 4beat3beat ubblol meh
i stand corrected though

it must be green

Delete

Miriam
Miriam

Total posts: 2
Posted:so altogether there are three different types of "waves", right?

I have to admit that both the 2-beat and the 3-beat waves were quite easy for me to do.
but it took me at least twice as long to work out the 5-beat-wave on one side forward than the whole lot you can do with the 3-beat-wave!!!

It's similar with every other spin: you gotta try and try and try and suddenly you "got it" - the feeling that is.

I'm just too scared to try the 5-beat-wave backwards, isn't that weird?

Delete

Bird
Bird

now available in "advanced"
Total posts: 6086
Posted:Quote:
I'm just too scared to try the 5-beat-wave backwards, isn't that weird?

I have just got the 5beat reverse, and it took me months to get my brain to understand the concept of it, but now I can do it, it feels as comfortable as the forwards 5beat, if not more so! weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

Stout
Stout

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1872
Posted:Here's somthing kinda fun to do with the 5 beat weave

Ok, so we all agree that we have four "beats" on each side of the five beat weave, right? so what you might want to try is opening up your hands for beats 2 and three on one side of the weave. As an example lets say you're facing north, and your audience is in the west ( facing east ) so you're presenting the five beat from the side ( 'cause it's not that impressive when viewed head on ) what you want to try is spin a normal 5 beat on your left side , the side closest to the audience, however when you take it over to the right side open up your hands into a bigger circle for beats 2 and 3 and quickly close them for beat four.

What this gives you is a sort of spiral when viewed from the side, small circles on your left, closest to audience, and a bigger circle " behind it " Try the big circles on either side, whatever's most comfortable, the big circles can even be done on both sides at once but I find this pointless, better to do them just on one side. Now, any ideas as what to do with the backwards 5 beat??

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!

You guys are WRONG!

(Sorry for the subtlety)

This has been going on forever. STOP.

Listen: I'm sorry if I'm being condescending or pompass or whatever but we've hashed this out years ago.

THE NUMBER OF BEATS IN A MOVE IS THE NUMBER OF CIRCLES DONE WITH ONE HAND BEFORE THE PATTERN REPEATS.

NOT: The number of circles done on each side of the body.

There is NO such thing as doing a "4 beat weave" on one side of the body .

A figure 8 is a two beat weave. Your right arm goes once on the right side of your body and once on your left before repeating.

In a "3 beat weave" your right hand goes once on your right side and twice on your left side.

In a "4 beat weave" your right hand goes twice on your right side and twice on your left side before repeating. It is asymetrical because your right hand will either be going first or last.

In a "5 beat weave" your right hand goes twice on your right side and three times on your left side.

I ABSOLUTELY see where your confusion is coming from. If you want to go from a 3 beat weave to a 5 beat weave you must do 4 circles on one side of the body. That's just a transition.

I've been crucified by the Jedi for sticking to beats but I swear it works. I am one of the strongest proponents of the term "beat" on this site.

The reason why using circles as beats is problematic is when you start doing weaves 'in time' or start doing thread the needles in '4 beat'.

There are only two things I know about poi. Beats and colored flames. I'll gladly help any confusion but I'm positive I know what I'm talking about in terms of how 'beats' have been defined.

Sorry for any perceived cockyness or arrogance or whatnot. I have bruises and scars from previous 'beat' arguements and would hate for others to have to go through this again.

ProBeat4Life
NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Posted:...

PLEEEZE read this article:
http://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/beats.htm
br>
It's set in stone. There are no 'other' definitions on HoP of 'beats'.

PLEEEEZE don't start defining things that have already been set. It causes confusion and hurts my soul.

Love and hugs and whatnot but please don't redefine beats as anything but what they've been defined in writing on this site. Unless you wanna start your own site and then you can call them whatever the heck you want. biggrin

ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Miriam
Miriam

Total posts: 2
Posted:cool
now I see, thanks!
never ment to offend anyone. I didn't learn poi by the names of the figures so those names are quite knew to me. But it makes sence that there is a clear definition, alllright. cool

Delete

Analemma
Analemma

enthusiast
Total posts: 384
Posted:STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!

NYC is WRONG!

Quote:
In a "5 beat weave" your right hand goes twice on your right side and three times on your left side.

The right hand Poi goes twice on your left side and three times on the right side! Different to the ratio of a 3 beat weave

But the rest is OK . . .
biggrin
wink
ubbangel

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Posted:Heh... indeed, that's what I meant.

Do as I do, not as I say. wink

Thanks biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

MikeIcon
MikeIcon

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2109
Posted:I hear your timing is a bit off as of late though NYC... Might not wanna do what he does either biggrin

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Posted:Indeed that is correct... so...

"Do as I theoretically would do if I could, not as I currently do or say."

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

lightmystoveandRUN
Posted:it confuses me too. all this 3 bt and 4 bt and 4 bt doesn't really exit...etc..etc...

i like the taste of danger it shines like sugar on my lips.
and i like to stand in the line of fire -
just to prove i can shoot straight from my hips.

Delete

Spinner
Spinner

stranger
Total posts: 24
Posted:I just learnt the 5 beat weave but my left hand is much harder. I can't even imagine being able to attempt the reverse 5 beat. How does it work/ how do you do it?

Delete

MiG
MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert
Total posts: 3415
Posted:Was going to post a massive walkthrough here, but i figured i would start another thread, as it will probably get lost in here. Have a look at:

3/4/5 beat weave stuff

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete