Page:
GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I know they exist, there's not a lot you can do about them...

but if you're 14 year old kid was smoking, how would you help them stop, even if they didn't want to?

I've heard of one method of sitting the smoker down and forcing them to smoke as much out of a 20 box as they can without water or breaks... but I'm pretty sure that's not very healthy.

Are you even addicted a couple of months after you start? Does it all depend on the person? I know of many people each having differences between their methods of giving up etc.

P.S I did my searches and couldn't find anything, if someone does can you put it up for me?

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I've heard of one method of sitting the smoker down and forcing them to smoke as much out of a 20 box as they can without water or breaks

Yep - I've heard of that method, anyone whose parents did that to them have never smoked again!

My mother tried 'rewarding' my sister but crafty girl just continued taking the treats and smoking secretly so forget that one!

I reckon showing them pictures of diseased lungs, the fat dripping ad shown on TV, the difference in a smoker / non smoker appearance would all be help. The best thing to do is cultivate an image of smoking being seriously uncool and warn 14 year olds noone will every want to snog them if they taste like an ashtray ubbrollsmile

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
Hello!I am 23 I started smoking at the age of 14 occasionally, and at the age of 18 it was a permanent situation.The addiction depends on the person,but two months even six months are not enough time to say that someone is addicted.Someone that doesnt want to quit smoking he will never do it! No matter the presure of the family or friends.Maybe if all the members of the family start to live a healthy life without smoking,drinking,some gymnastics e.t.c. maybe the kid will start to think some things better.The age of 14 is a very difficult age,the presure is wrong!This person must understand the harm of smoking with the easy way wink.It is not hard to quit.There was times that I didnt think of smoking for 2 months and i didnt smoke.It is a matter of habbitude and not of addiction.I consider my self more addicted to juggling or to my bunny Stif than the smoking.For that kid I think it is a matter of imitation.
excuse my english ubbangel
kisses

The only thing constant in life is change...

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I like the last bit! "taste like an ashtray"
It may deter the smoker in question!!!

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
hi i dont smoke but i know this girl whos like 13 and everyday shell come with her 17 yr old sister and both will light up and its pathetic how the sister encourages it. It looks horrible and just basic YUK

frown frown

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
smokers are a diying (sp) breed..

I'm on of them myself.. started with I was 11.. BAD move.. jsut wish I wasn't such a horrible abnoxious teenager and thought of quitting then.. I'm 28 now.. giving up is hard.. but I WILL do it befor I'm 30.. still enjoy the 'own rolled' wink

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
I also started when I was 11 and nothing could have made me quit unless I wanted to quit. And eventually, after several attempts, I did. I agree that ciggy smokers are a dying breed. Especially where I live. A pack of 25 smokes will cost you 10$ or more. It's just not as cool or as bad ass as it used to be. I wouldn't reccomend going head to head with this guy. He's 14, how do you think it'll work? He's not likely going to quit before he's good and ready to. Just be really supportive of him so he knows he will have help for when he does want to quit.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
It is a tough thing, trying to get someone to quit. One possibility, that may be of use, is hypnotherapy. It's possible to plant the suggestion that every time he considers having a cigarette, he feels ill, or has something to eat instead, or something similar.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
With my kids, when it comes to nicotine, I intend to be incredibly aggressive. I will urine screen them for it if I have to. And I will punish them with every single option I have open if they smoke. And they will know that. If any child of mine ever smokes, he will find himself locked in his room for weeks on end with even bathroom privileges scheduled.

In the U.S., if you don't smoke by age 18, there is a 95% chance you never will. I have seen what happens to smokers and I will not let it happen to my children.

Yeah, I feel strongly about this issue. Experimenting with pot and alcohol I can handle, but not tobacco. I'd rather heroin.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I can understand that, coming from medical knowledge. You'd rather heroin than tobacco!?

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My friends mum made her brother eat a fag, filter and all. seemed to work.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i was in canada last summer an on the way back we of course went to the duty free store (my mom buys things simply because they're chep or on sale, not because she actuakky wants them) and the cig cartons all had giant color pictures of diseased lungs and deformed babys on them, id never seen anything like it, i think i would be a big step to elimanate smoking adds in the magizines and reduce smoking in the movies, that would defenently cut down in smoking in teens, it pisses me off that there are alll these anti drug campaigns, but smoking is so much more wide spread, and i consider it a much bigger problem

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I have to jump in here, drinking and obesity are bigger killers than all the illegal drugs... so far!!!
They're are still in no way good for you!!! They ALL kill!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Tobacco is a HUGE problem. In my opinion, it presents a threat to national welfare by contributing to enormous costs of healthcare.

If I had my way, tobacco advertising of any kind would be illegal and cigarette cartons could only be marked in plain font with the name of the brand; no fancy, bright colors.

We're not going to get people to stop smoking, but we sure as hell can keep them from starting.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I still don’t understand why kids start these days. Everybody knows they are crap and one of the most addictive things in the world. I blame the schools if it was educated into them that they will kill you then they wouldn’t start.
Both my parents smoke very heavily but neither me or my sister smoke iv never even wanted to because my parents drummed it into us that they were addicted and it was very bad thing to do. At uni we spent ages making our mate quit by nicking his cigs and stuff but he wanted to give up if you don’t want to then their is no hope.
Me and my mates have nothing against smokers but anyone who has a cig who doesn’t already smoke we come down on quite hard

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Yeah, I feel strongly about this issue. Experimenting with pot and alcohol I can handle, but not tobacco. I'd rather heroin.

I can understand that. When done properly it's far less harmful then smoking.

I used to smoke. I rolled my own own so this is how I quite. I quite commonlly cut up dank weed with mint to make it roll easier. I did that with my smokes, and gradual put in more mint and less tobacco.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by PsychoTronic
Hello!I am 23 I started smoking at the age of 14 occasionally, and at the age of 18 it was a permanent situation.The addiction depends on the person,but two months even six months are not enough time to say that someone is addicted.

Not true. It will only take a few weeks of smoking all the time to become dependant on it. If someone starts out slowly, and gradually build up to smoking every day, then who knows when that person is actually addicted, but if they are increasing their use over time, then they are addicted for all practical purposes.

My best friend started smoking when he was 11, and in the first few years of his smoking it was a little easier to go a period of time without a cigarrette, but he maintains that he was addicted very early on, in the first 6 months of his smoking.

Quote:

Someone that doesnt want to quit smoking he will never do it! No matter the presure of the family or friends.Maybe if all the members of the family start to live a healthy life without smoking,drinking,some gymnastics e.t.c. maybe the kid will start to think some things better.

Possibly, but I think pressure from friends and family can actually make a person stop smoking. My girlfriend knows that I will leave her if she smokes ciggarrettes, so she doesn't. Now for all I know, she could have an occasional cig at work on a break, but she doesn't buy them, and she's with me when she's not at work, so if she was physically addicted, she would need more than a cig or 2 a week or less. Now granted, she wasn't a heavy smoker before she met me, so it wasn't that hard for her to stop.

Quote:

It is not hard to quit.There was times that I didnt think of smoking for 2 months and i didnt smoke.It is a matter of habbitude and not of addiction.I consider my self more addicted to juggling or to my bunny Stif than the smoking.

I have to disagree with you there. Maybe it's that way for you personally, but I know people (including my friend above) who genuinely WANT to quit smoking, but haven't been able to overcome the physical addiction. Experts will tell you that nicotine is almost as addictive as heroin, if not just as much so. The only differences are that nicotine isn't very strongly psychoactive, nor does it have as severe withdrawal symptoms as heroin.

My biggest complaint about smoking is that you don't get anything out of it. A non-smoker might get a buzz, but someone who is a regular smoker doesn't even get a satisfying or fun altered state of conciousness. All a smoker is doing is satisfying his bodies craving for a poisnous substance that makes him smell bad and ruin his health. It's just stupid. Marijuana is bad for you, but it also relieves stress and pain after a hard day of work. Ecstacy is bad for you, but nothing is quite so magical as rolling at a rave.... smoking just.... smokes... and smells bad... and ruins your health... and that's about it... nothing fun about it. Where's the reward for poisoning your body like other substances give you?

and it's LEGAL! UGH! If ANY substance should be illegal, it should be tobacco.

Sorry, that's the end of my rant, lol.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Big Andy. On the part of your rant about addicted smokers not getting anything out of smokers not getting anything of of smoking.. It's VERY similar to most other addictions. Like alcohol. An alcoholic will not get drunk because drinking makes them feel good. It's because they feel miserable without it. Just like ciggy smokers with cigarettes. And smack addicts with smack. Alcoholics and smack users aren't getting anything out of it except poison either. But that's what drug addictions are all about.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Physical addiction to cigarettes is over in three days to a week after quitting. After that it is psychological need. Some say that sticks around for a month. I disagree, it never goes away. I started smoking in 5th grade, stopped in 7th until the middle of high school, and then smoked until about a year ago when I was 19. After that I just didn't buy them anymore. I just bummed a lot.

Heck I still bum a cigarette every few days from people if my day has been crappy or something. Quite frankly it's more the having something to do with my hands, or something to do period that makes me smoke, and all my friends who smoke agree. Yes it's a stress reliever, there are chemical reasons for that, physical reasons, and psychological reasons. Of course I also don't consider myself addicted to it as I can sit down, smoke a cigarette, and not want another one for days. Addiction is that way for me, and maybe it isn't for everyone, but I'm still going to say this... I think it is. Will is a rough thing to tame. Flame away. wink

But what I wanted to post about was this: everyone says cigarettes are bad, so terrible, etc. Well anything is bad taken in excess isn't it? And limiting your experience of life is bad too isn't it? Thus my stance, of why I will still smoke a cigarette or a pipe of tobacco (My new form) every few days because I enjoy it. There's something like hundreds of additives in cigarettes for the same reason that pharmacutical companies add stuff to natural remedies: patentability. THAT is absurd. I smoke pure tobacco with no additives, much better for you, and when done in moderation, not extremely harmful at all.

We always try to teach people to not do something "because I said its good for you." I think it's better to teach them to recognize the risks and make their own decisions. SOME people are going to smoke excessively. So we should punish them by making packs $10 each? Great, so now you have kids growing tobacco plants in their back yards to get cheap cigarettes (Yes, I DO know people who do this). Other people are going to choose not to because they don't like smoking. I think if people were taught more how to control their cravings, a whole LOT of stuff would be solved in this McCountry.

So worried about tobacco polluting our lives and not about Company X that's destroying our planet for a few extra pennies per sale. I wish people would stop complaining about other people making the choice to hurt themselves, and start focusing on the people who hurt all of us in a real, tangeable way...

P.S. I love being controversial biggrin biggrin
EDITED_BY: i8beefy2 (1082588506)

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
I started smoking when I was 14, which was about 2 years ago. My dad had some laying around and I thought it would be cool, so I tried it. I still smoke today, though I've tried to quit. I've never been through withdrawl, I just have more of a psychological need for it. They kinda make me calmer, less stressed out. I don't know why people want kids to stop smoking if it's perfectly legal for adults to.

Hey, I'M the BEE!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i've tried many times to quit, and its not an easy thing to do. I feel that i tend to get a lot more 'aggro', or easily annoyed about 3 days or so of cold turkey. I know its happening, but it doesnt help at all. Really, theres no quick and easy solution to quit smoking. Its a chemical addiction, its a psychological addiction, and its a habitual addiction. breaking one of those three is hard enough, but all three at once is faar harder.

And i certainly agree with you there, ebonyglider. So many times its been a case of 'do as i say, not as i do' which stinks. whatever happened to leading by example?

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
Quote:

whatever happened to leading by example?

That's true. Stupid health teachers talk about the horrors of smoking when everyone sees them going out for a cig at least 3 times a day. rolleyes

Hey, I'M the BEE!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Yep - I've heard of that method, anyone whose parents did that to them have never smoked again!

My parents tried the whole smoke a whole packet thing on my sister and trust me it didn't work....she gave up for a week and then was back on it.

Being an smoker from when I was 13 I can tell you unfortunately there is not a lot you can do...pictures and stuff don't really help because everyone has the whole "it won't happen to me" thing going on. And children are the worst for that.

You know what scared the heeby jeebies out of me and made me stop smoking when I was younger was being taken into a hospital and showed people with emphasema and lung cancer in the advanced stages....blech....it grossed me out and I actually stopped smoking for a whole year when I was 15.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

the screeming flaming dudeYes, as a matter of fact, i do use fire poi. Why do you ask?
104 posts

Posted:
(A) take em to the hospital
(B) show pictures
(C) make them actually eat the cigerette
(D) all of the above

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
--------------------------------------------------------
HEY, I COULD SPIN THAT!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Nothing could have stopped me taking up smoking - it was my choice

If I'd have had a mother who came the heavy on me in regards to smoking, I'd have still done it, but have been put in the position of having to lie and deceive her - because I wanted to smoke.

I quit a few years ago, again my choice

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
I agree with Ade. When I was 14 if you would have tried to make me eat a ciggy, or do anything like that I would have said "[censored] you" and walked away. Just like most 14 year olds. I appreciated people who didn't try to force their decisions into my life, but were there to support positive steps.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by the screeming flaming dude
(A) take em to the hospital
(B) show pictures
(C) make them actually eat the cigerette
(D) all of the above

If you choose (d), would it matter what order you went??? Show them a picture of a cigerette, make them eat that picture, and then take them to hospital because you feed your child a piece of paper... with a cigerette printed on it... rolleyes ubblol

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
lolsign at arsn, you crack me up sometimes

and yes VRS - I'd have told my mum to go away (in less pleasant terms) if she'd have offered me a cig to eat.

On the eating of cigs - I knew a young lad once who's mother threatened to wash his mouth out with soap and water if he didn't stop swearing... well, turns out he actually like the taste of soap rolleyes so whatdaya do then?

And - I have no idea if this is right or not - but wouldn't eating a cig be more dangerous than smoking one? I'm talking one here - why would a parent deliberately poison their child while trying to illustrate to them not to take poisons? I have no idea... and maybe well off the mark

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by i8beefy2:

SOME people are going to smoke excessively. So we should punish them by making packs $10 each?

Yep, at least that way it starts to contribute towards the vast amount of money spent treating tobacco related illnesses in hospitals. Why should non-smokers pay for it all?

Quote:

I wish people would stop complaining about other people making the choice to hurt themselves, and start focusing on the people who hurt all of us in a real, tangeable way...

Hmm, passive smoking, isn't it lovely.

I think I have a right to complain about people smoking when I start to suffer from it and dont even smoke.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1082604698)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
And when all those "non"-smokers come over to smokers and start coughing... When I used to smoke, I'd have to say, "wow, I smoke and I don't have a cough "that" bad..." wink

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I smoke...I don't smoke in public around non smokers....if I need to have a cigarette I either walk away from the non smokers or ask if they mind if I smoke...if they mind I don't smoke...if they don't mind then I will but I try not to blow any smoke their way.

I don't like it when non smokers approach me and tell me I am damaging their lungs....Uh hello I wasn't anywhere near you...you came up to me remember....so who is damaging who's lungs???

I agree some smokers are not considerate and should be more so...but don't class us all in that way.

Page: