Page:
GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I know they exist, there's not a lot you can do about them...

but if you're 14 year old kid was smoking, how would you help them stop, even if they didn't want to?

I've heard of one method of sitting the smoker down and forcing them to smoke as much out of a 20 box as they can without water or breaks... but I'm pretty sure that's not very healthy.

Are you even addicted a couple of months after you start? Does it all depend on the person? I know of many people each having differences between their methods of giving up etc.

P.S I did my searches and couldn't find anything, if someone does can you put it up for me?

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

should this maybe be moved to social discussion?

Whoops, sorry... I forgot about the divide when I posted!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

can you say you never made a bad decision - even when everyone around you and even you yourself deep down inside knew it was wrong?

I've made plenty of bad decisions in my life and lord knows I'm not done. I mean, I've made some whoppers.

However, I have never tried to use some pseudo-philosophical gobbledeygook to try to justify my persistence in those bad decisions even after acknowledging that they're bad.

Once I realize I'm doing something bad, I immediately stop, or at least try to.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

the screeming flaming dudeYes, as a matter of fact, i do use fire poi. Why do you ask?
104 posts

Posted:
Quote:

As for Lightnings heroin commment, he's right, smoking kills and maims way, way, more people than heroin.

theres a reason

heroin is much much much much harder to get than cigerettes. You can get cigerettes at osco.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
--------------------------------------------------------
HEY, I COULD SPIN THAT!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It's very true.

But the REASON why heroin causes problems isn't intrinsic to the heroin. It's because it's illegal, and thus contaminated and injected with dirty needles, that heroin causes chronic health problems. As far as its ability to kill you immediately, it's about as dangerous as alcohol in that about 3-5x the desired dose is lethal.

If people could get clean junk in clean syringes, the health risks of heroin would be less than those associated with alcohol because heroin doesn't cause cirrhosis of the liver or shrinkage of the grey matter in the brain, even when used in the long-term.

Cigarettes, on the other hand, are intrinsically harmful to the lungs, the blood vessels, and just about every single tissue in the body with the possible exception of bone (and even there, there's evidence it might cause osteoporosis). As in there's no way to clean up a cigarette enough to make it relatively safe to use. Now, the one nice thing about nicotine is that it's almost impossible to kill yourself with it immediately.

If a nicotine inhaler became available, I'd have no problem with people using it because it wouldn't harm the lungs or blood vessels. It's the smoking that causes the problems.

But for some reason, I can't see a nicotine inhaler being very popular. Because it's the smoking that gets people addicted and the nicotine that gets people dependent.

-Mike

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
In my opinion I don't think that any addiction is good.Everything is harmfull when we dont have limits and we dont know the way to do it.So it seems pointless to say what hurts much or what hurts less.Drugs are no good but when a man has problems with stress cannabis is good.It does more good than pills.However it would be better if all of people find power from the inside world than the outside.It is a gift, that all of us receive from the time we are born, that we have much strength to handle problems or to have fun and be happy without addictions.In the same time we are all too week to take a look on the inside and discover our strength.Nothing is impossible.But nothing is possible if we dont try.

The only thing constant in life is change...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Drugs are no good but when a man has problems with stress cannabis is good.It does more good than pills.

That's a great blanket statement.

It's very popular to be "anti-pills." But it's not that clean. The pills don't gunk up the lungs. They bind to specific receptors in the brain that reduce anxiety. Buspirone (Buspar), specifically, has been shown to be excellent in reducing anxiety without causing sedation or a clouded sensorium.

Anxiety is a cause of stress, but it is not stress. The solution to stress is to learn to de-stress. And that does a lot more good than any drug, whether a pill, shot, patch, inhaler, or suppository.

It's one of my pet peeves when people start claiming that pills are bad. What pills are bad? Why? Worse than what? Better than what?

You can't just run out and say that pot is better than pills for stress and expect to be taken seriously by people who know about it. Not only do you need to be more specific about what pills and what disorder, but you need to speak about why pot is better and you need to show the evidence.

I'm not trying to get down on you, man. I'm urging you to not just spout off the stuff your friends tell you or the stuff you read on the web without checking it out for yourself. Go out and find the information, learn how to read the literature, learn how to learn!

You always have to question what you're told or you can be told anything. Hell, Bush is the president because people didn't think; they just believed what they were told. Don't be one of those. I know you're smarter than that.

And no, I'm not a pill-pusher. I watched pills get inappropriately used this morning and couldn't do anything about it because I'm just a med student.

-Mike

Daimember
22 posts

Posted:
try www.britishlungfoundation.org/docs/research_papers/A%20Smoking%20Gun%20-21.101.pdf for health risk associated with cannabis, for more general info people could look up www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/cannabis/index.shtml.

soapbox I never mentioned alcohol and would never be nieve enough to say it was harmless! However the problems assosited with alcohol in no way remove or negate the problems of heroin, as has been said many times before all drugs have the potential to ruin lives - be they legal or illegal

even a frisbee is a lethal weapon in the hands of the wrong person

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The stuff I saw in that UK Cannabis paper are the same unfounded garbage spouted by the U.S. government.

Never once have I seen a well-done study that supports most of the "findings" reported in that paper, and believe me, I've looked hard. It's very likely that cannabis causes significant lung damage, but no good research to back up that belief is available in the modern literature, which is a crying shame because it tends to split people into two camps:

1) "Cannabis is awful, I believe everything the government tells me and it should be illegal and everyone caught with even a gram of it should be publicly drawn and quartered!" (this statement is usually followed by flag-waving, cigarette smoking, and getting piss-drunk because alcohol and tobacco "aren't drugs")
2) *deeep hit* *PFFFOOOOH!* "C'mon, maaaan! It's God's herb, duuuuude! It's harmless and all that stuff about it being worse than tobacco is just govinment [sic] propagaaanda, duuuude. Besides, maaaan, I smoke every day and I'm fine." *HACK, COUGH* "Say, maaaan, got anything to eat?"

Not exactly conducive to a worthwhile civil discourse on the value of the so-called "war on drugs," now, is it?

Until the government stops telling investigators what their findings should show, there will be no worthwhile studies on the health effects of cannabis.

And so the fact is that there are insufficient facts.

Incidentally, my favorite part about the government garbage is their assertion that cannabis is more dangerous because it's more potent today. It's no secret that cannabis is more potent today. Just ask any 50-year-old stoner.

Now, if it's more potent, that means you have to smoke less to get high. Thus, more potent would be safer. ubblol If this is meant to dissuade people from smoking, you can tell the people putting it together weren't so hot in the critical thinking department.

I also love the part about how smoking 3-4 cannabis cigarettes a day is like smoking a pack of tobacco cigarettes a day. Um...I think the ridiculousness of thar argument is quite obious, but let me spell it out:

According to their calculations, if someone shares a joint with 3 friends once a week (which, given the cannabis in this country, is reasonable), then that person is smoking a third of a pack of cigarettes a week, or the equivalent of one cigarette a day. If someone smokes a third of a joint once a month (which is about what most of the cannabis smokers I know do), then they're smoking the equivalent of one cigarette every 4 days. That's like moving from rural Colorado to downtown New York City. So basically, they just pushed their statistics to make it sound awful when really, when you compare "typical" tobacco vs. cannabis use habits, it's not so bad.

And they completely neglected to bring up the fact that a lot of cannabis is smoked out of pipes and bongs.

Now I'm going to say it again: smoking ANYTHING is bad. If you smoke anything, be it tobacco or cannabis or crack or anything else, you are best stopping. Your lungs and your body will thank you for it. It's not my goal to defend cannabis. It's my goal to get people to think critically about the information that their government provides them and to think critically about whether the laws and penalties that we have instituted in the U.S. are really worth the problems they cause.

-Mike

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
yes you are quite right but im not afraid of dieing and if i doe tomorow then boo hoo but im not gunna miss out of one of lifes experiences just coz it might kill me... sorry if that makes you angry but that my opinion

--{ goldfish production }--

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

but no good research to back up that belief is available in the modern literature, which is a crying shame because it tends to split people into two camps:

1) "Cannabis is awful, I believe everything the government tells me and it should be illegal and everyone caught with even a gram of it should be publicly drawn and quartered!" (this statement is usually followed by flag-waving, cigarette smoking, and getting piss-drunk because alcohol and tobacco "aren't drugs")
2) *deeep hit* *PFFFOOOOH!* "C'mon, maaaan! It's God's herb, duuuuude! It's harmless and all that stuff about it being worse than tobacco is just govinment [sic] propagaaanda, duuuude. Besides, maaaan, I smoke every day and I'm fine." *HACK, COUGH* "Say, maaaan, got anything to eat?"

couldnt agree more. seems to be treated as a black or white issue, whereas personally most things are grey. seems hard to get an independant perspective on the issue.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

yes you are quite right but im not afraid of dieing and if i doe tomorow then boo hoo but im not gunna miss out of one of lifes experiences just coz it might kill me... sorry if that makes you angry but that my opinion

Doesn't make me angry. But it does make me wonder:

When I tried smoking tobacco, I coughed so hard I nearly threw up and my ribs hurt. And I couldn't judge the distance to the ground, let alone where any of my body parts were in space. It felt awful.

So what's so hot about this "experience" of smoking a cigarette?

-Mike

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
its just that i want to try as much as i can... its not that i think its good for you or anything iim not that stupid, but i want to try as much stuff before i die as i can... coz otherwise im gunna die and not be fullfilled and be unhappy that just because i didnt try things coz i thought it was bad

not like trying it once is gunna kill me

when i had my first smoke i didnt cough i liked it
u just had a bad first drag and it varies from person to person, like all my mates have had different effects from the next person so iim sorry if u didnt enjoy your first drag but maybe that was a sign for you not to do it

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
and 20 bucks says that was a J and a fat one at that... those sort of ewffects dont come from nicotine unless u have like an alergic reaction to it or something

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

not like trying it once is gunna kill me

No, of course not.

It's the 1 pack per day for 20-40 years that will.

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

So what's so hot about this "experience" of smoking a cigarette?

well.... i can perhaps help with this....

i rarely smoke. on the off chance i do its only when ive had way too much to drink - which thankfully doesnt happen too frequently anymore.

if you dont choke - the nicotine buzz is pretty cool - especially when your not used to it and a bit tipsy.

it just sometimes feels right - drink in one hand, and ciggi in the other. but other times i just dont feel like it.

balancing all things out, id probably have an odd ciggarette every couple of months or so.

i tried smoking when i was 18. i went through and entire packet to see what would happen - it didnt really do anything for me, no addiction, no major stress relief, nothing.

so i figured why bother?
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1083288910)

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
very true
but im not planning on doing that... well i hope not confused

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

and 20 bucks says that was a J and a fat one at that... those sort of ewffects dont come from nicotine unless u have like an alergic reaction to it or something

You owe me 20, mate. I know a J from a cigarette. This one came out of a box of cigs, freshly open.

Besides, do you really honestly think I've never smoked the Hooj in my life?

I might wear a white coat, tie, and stethoscope, but I'm no angel.

-Mike

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Chappas, I totally understand your want for experienceing as much as possible, but by the sounds of it, you've been smoking for a while now. At this point, the ciggy smoking experience is not going to get any more interesting. Trust me. By sticking with the smoking 'experience', you're robbing yourself of countless other experiences. (endurance, having white teeth, growing old) So to me it sounds like you smoke because you're an addict and not so much because it's a new and adventurous part of your life.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I might wear a white coat, tie, and stethoscope, but I'm no angel.

but i thought the men in the white coats were supposed to be my friends ubbloco.... at least that what they told me....

ha! and since this thread is in social CHAT i can get away with stupid comments....
mwuahaahahahaha!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ha! and since this thread is in social CHAT i can get away with stupid comments....
mwuahaahahahaha!

*spanks Dentrassi, just cos she can*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
hahahahahaha u never knoe

u might have smoked "hooj" aka pot but it doesnt mean u cant be a doctor if ya do

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
i noe u must all think im an addict but im not... i go to skool still and i dont have a smoke all week while im at skool... only on the weekends and stuff.
and yeah i have gone past the experience stage its just all of my mates and people i know do it that i just havent stopped

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
offtopic... But Chap... do you mind using correct english, as we also have people who may come from an area where English is not the first language spoken. Words like "noe" can easily be typed as "know", "smaok" as "smoke" and "skool" as "school".

Please try to voice your opinions in an easier to read format... (I'm not picking, I'm just wanting to help.)

*Now back to the debate*

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
sorry my msn talk is coming out in this forum... ill try to keep it real english

sorry redface

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*wanders in with a large bag of punctuation marks*

<>?/.,/.,<>?<$@*$&!)*&@#%)1_(@*#^&"'}{][||=-+_

There. biggrin And there's plenty more where those came from. Don't be stingy now! Feel free to use them!

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Right. So...

Mr. W., one of my patients, a delightful 74 year old gentleman who was otherwise perfectly healthy and would probably have survived another 10-15 good years with good quality of life died today of lung cancer and emphyzema.

He was a good man and while I'm glad to know that he's no longer gasping for breath and starving for air, I'm sad he's gone. I feel horribly for his wife, who was a very lovely lady. I could tell how much they loved each-other and I hope she'll be OK.

A few days ago, while he was still alert and mentally "with it," I asked him if he had any advice for me, seeing as how he has 48 years of experience on me.

The first piece of advice I get from every Veteran at the VA:
"Take Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior."

The second piece of advice was:
"You'll be a great doctor; just make sure to keep your eye on the ball and stick to it, even when the going gets rough."

And the third piece of advice was:
"Do you smoke? No? Good! Don't start."

So, Chap, you'll have to excuse me if I'm particularly unsympathetic today to your justifications as to why you continue to smoke.

Godspeed, Mr. W. bye ubbcrying

-Mike

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
well done for saying that but as i have previosly stated i do not care if i die tomorow... like yes i knoe that you are all like "dont do it" and "your not invincible so dont be so nieve" im sorry for your patient and im sorry for his wife but im not guna stop sorry but i have to go... ill converse with you later

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Well said lightning hug

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909