Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Different manners of split time butterflies...

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm still playing with my sucky timing and I stumbled upon something that I never realized. There are different manners of creating a split time effect on any move. I'm using a butterfly as the simplest example.

To do a split time butterfly: EITHER you can rock your hands from right to left IN TIME, OR you can rock your hands up and down alternating (like pistons in a car.) A simple realization with decent rammifications. Though the POI do exactly the same thing, your body looks quite different (and since we've all been focusing on our DANCING recently right?...)

Doing the right-left motion gives more of a hip twist (like doing the twist) whereas split time pistons give more of a Salsa shoulder rock.

Even more profound is shifting the same contrast to split time buzzsaw butterflies. Theres a huge difference between the look of rocking your hands towards and away from you intime (which has a bit of a humping action... confused ) and doing a split time piston action (which looks like you're playing the drums)...

Of course this can be applied to every move. Even "in time" moves can be done either by alternating motions horizontally or doing both hands in the same motion vertically.

Dunno, just a thought. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oooo - good thinking batman.
I've always known about the split-time butterfly, but never thought about the buzzsaw ones' - like it smile

Right, I'm off to practice my twisting wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Good job stranger !

A recommendation: Try to discover this whole field with horizontal moves since the gravity does not mess around with those too much and you get a better feeling for what is really going on. (e.g. Turn your body under a horizontal OTH Butterfly; Corkscrew; etc...)

have fun

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I don't really understand what you're saying .... will you show me?
ubblove

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Absolutely. Just remember to ask the next time we're spinning. Maybe Thursday will be sunny! cool

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Thank you!! ubblove