Forums > Social Discussion > Breakthrough for my school and homophobia

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yesterday was very possibly the best school day of my life.

You see, I'm in my school's GSA (gay straight alliance) and yesterday we ran a staffmeeting in my school. At this meeting, out of 70+ teachers in my school, about 50-60 showed up. So that was surprise one, the amount of staff that showed up.

Now, I'm also the co-chair of the GSA, so the principal (who is actually one of the biggest homophobes in the school) introduced me, and I took it from there. It was odd, because I don't have problems with presentations, but this has to be the biggest one, seeing how a student/student run group was running a staff meeting. I don't think it happens very often.

So, We introduced our GSA, and then our guest speaker, from the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Youth Project. His presentation was amazing, and the amount of feedback and attention *most* of the teachers gave was absolutely amazing. We were all surprised.

After his fourty min. presentation, (which made a few teachers cry, actually, when he told his coming out story) a few GSA students (including me) read monologues written by GSA members. I was reading one form a gay male point of view, and another from a lesbian teen, and one from the pov of a girl who's mother was a lesbian.

Now, the part of this meeting that was the most fun and exciting, when it turned out the way it did. We had planned a project, to try and put volunteers into the shoes of students who are g/l/b/t by wearing a shirt that says "I am gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered" for the next day for 24 hours. That means in front of their class, and through school, and in public, etc. We had eight t-shirts (two of each), and didn't expect much intrest.

However, when we asked for volunteers, we saw teachers jumping out of their seats and yelling "I want bisexual!" "I want lesbian!"

We were astonished!!! I still am! Even both gay t-shirts will be worn by male teachers today! I can't wait to get to school today, to see them.

And, after they've worn the t-shirts for a day, we're going to do a documentary type thing, and talk to them about their day, and how it went.

*jumps about* I'm just so excited about this whole thing, it's taken us MONTHS to even get this meeting!! And it went so well!!

So, after that, I cancelled a meeting I had that night, and hopped on the bus with my friends, and went to the LGBY project for the night, and hung out , and met new people, as I'd never been able to go. Yesterday was *SUCH* a good day!

biggrin biggrin biggrin ubbrollsmile biggrin biggrin biggrin weavesmiley

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
COOL!!! biggrin biggrin lets us know how it goes today pickle biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
wow... that sounds cool! I love it when things work out so much better than you anticipate!

Keep up the good work!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
That sounds amazing. My old school never had anything like that happening!

Do let us know what happened today ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
What a great school you have, and they're so lucky to have students like you!

Keep us updated bobo biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

triple wordscoremember
75 posts

Posted:

Thats soo cool...... teachers when I was at school wouldn't have done that! ubbloco

As the others said..... Lets us know how it went!! biggrin

Cant Sleep Or The Clowns Will Get Me!!!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ditto

i wish we had something that good at my school. I didn't even come out to my closest friends until college cos i saw what other lgbt people went through.

you are a star! keep up the good work. clap

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nice Job.

Today is national "Day of Silence" in America. Though it's hardly publicised. Our school though, is participating and many students are choosing to remain silent to support those "Gay, straight, transgender, and bisexual" that have been silenced before.

I'm trying my best to support those students that are participating... damn there's a lot of bigotry in this planet. frown

Keep on fighting the good fight.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Like everyone else has said, that's awesome for both you and your school. You should be very thankful that your school is attempting to be so accepting and also very happy. smile

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Go BoBo!! Excellent news, and wow! How cool!

Things have come a long way in the 10 plus years since I've come out...

Keep up the good work and kudos to your teachers!!

biggrin

hug

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Wow Bobo! That's awesome!
Props to you and all who took part.
Youth need more dedicated leaders like you!
Cheers! beerchug

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! It was so amazing....

We haven't interviewed any of the teachers yet, but we should be meeting them soon! I did talk to two of the teachers wearing the tshirts though, at the beginning of the day, and they seemed fine at that point in time.

We shall see though! The day is not over, and I'm hoping they went out in public!

bounce2 beerchug

Oh, and one of the teachers I got to talk to was my English teach, who I had first period. She has a pride flag that was fullsized, and she donated it to the GSA after the presentation, and hugged me and everything, it was awesome ubbangel

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
congradulations, as NYC said today is the national day of silebce, are school did it and over 100 people officialy did it, plus many more unofficial ones, it is really a challange to not talk all day, and it is a very striking thing, even if you dont consider the fact that you are trying to raise awarness of mistreatment of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered, it is still a very interesting experiance, just communicating without the spoken word, i encourage everyone to try to get this started at their schools, there were also cutouts on the walls representing victims of anti - gay hate crimes, its important for people to realize that you just cant ignore theses problem in our society, we cant accept violence and lack of tolerance ........luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
dang I totally forgot about the day of silence..

Hey, I'M the BEE!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
raaaaa!!!!

great job bobo!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
hug that's so cool, well done, what a great initiative

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Kudos! hug hug hug Just watch out for Geore W. to invade your school now! rolleyes

N.B. No bushes were actually hurt in the above statement!! wink

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Quote:

congradulations, as NYC said today is the national day of silebce, are school did it and over 100 people officialy did it, plus many more unofficial ones, it is really a challange to not talk all day, and it is a very striking thing, even if you dont consider the fact that you are trying to raise awarness of mistreatment of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered, it is still a very interesting experiance, just communicating without the spoken word, i encourage everyone to try to get this started at their schools, there were also cutouts on the walls representing victims of anti - gay hate crimes, its important for people to realize that you just cant ignore theses problem in our society, we cant accept violence and lack of tolerance ........luv

I participated in that today as well, and this was open to straight and homosexual people, and the principal was 100% against it. Whenever we showed her our cards showing /why/ we aren't talking today and she read it, turned around and walked away from us.

The staff decided to accuse the teacher who supported our movement (one of the most awesome teachers on campus) of supporting an uprising of the student body. This was accused even though he clearly stated that he is just providing a safe forum where we can plan and be with each other and support each other and talk about what had happened during our day of silence. (We turned off the day of silence at 2:15, cutting our duct-tape wristbands symbolizing that we were participants).

Also we made a list of people whom were openly gay on a giant banner at lunch, in front of the library which was in plain sight to everyone. This made the Librarian come outside from his lunch and ask who organized it and we all pointed at the leader. He basically gathered us all around him and congratulated us on our willpower and how we got together and are supporting something that we believed in.

Vestia (my girlfriend) walked around with a friend passing out our cards that told everyone about our day and why we were doing this. Some laughed, some asked "How do you protest silently?", and others joined our cause It was a very memorable experience.

Much love!
Kinudin
Eric

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Wow, this day of silence thing sounds awesome, I wish there was a day somethign like that in Canada. Maybe there is, and I just don't know about it! I'll ask.

We're working on doing a ribbon campaign sometime next month, so that's going to get underway soon...

I was talking to my dad about it last night, and he's a little iffy about the whole thing, really. he told me "Go ahead and support it, but don't get involved in the subculture."

He also told me this when I told him what my religion was. When I asked him what he meant he told me "well, they can be.. primiscuous. Tnd they can generate into some violent things..."

I was *SO* pissed off. I asked if he meant that because AIDS was first introduced by a homosexual, and he said partly, and then I pointed out that there were negative points to every subculture... etc. etc. It really really pissed me off. And here I am the morning after, STILL PISSED OFF. Ergh, fathers >.<

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
erm...bobo....as enlightened on the whole subject as you obviously are do you actually believe AIDS was introduced to the human race by a homosexual??? What would make you come to this conclusion?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

"Go ahead and support it, but don't get involved in the subculture."

ubblol The classic: I don't mind gays, as long as none of my family are!

With regard to how HIV (I'm going to be picky on that one, HIV is the virus, AIDS isn't) first crossed to the human population. There's little point arguing it as nobody can ever know who patient 0 was. But it's a pretty good bet that the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of human overpopulation and invasion of nature. The lessons of HIV, Ebola and such are that we should respect nature because we are only part of it and it will always be stronger than us. Regardless, a breath wasted on this argument is better spent dealing with what is now a worldwide and all inclusive problem: black, white, gay or straight.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ditto

good answer man.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
*shuffles around excidedly*
Time to goto school and see how it effected people!
biggrin
Kinudin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

With regard to how HIV (I'm going to be picky on that one, HIV is the virus, AIDS isn't) first crossed to the human population. There's little point arguing it as nobody can ever know who patient 0 was. But it's a pretty good bet that the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of human overpopulation and invasion of nature. The lessons of HIV, Ebola and such are that we should respect nature because we are only part of it and it will always be stronger than us.

Yeah, because before we started cutting down the rainforest, people lived forever. wink I think that destroying the planet has most definitely increased human lifespan and quality of life. It's obviously morally wrong, but I don't think it reflects on overpoplulation any more than the flu does. Airplanes do more to support HIV transfer than overpopulation or misuse of resources. AIDS is no more a punishment from God as it is a punishment from nature.

"Awwwww... Mother Nature started 'survival of the fittest' and now she want's to quit because she's looooosing." -Mr. Burns wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
bobo - good on you for the good work you're doing!!! clap

just one question tho - u said something (dang i forgot to quote & now have to rely on my shoddy memory) about ur dad saying something (yes, i know...it's late ok!!) about ur religion - twas curious as to what said religion is & why he seemed to react that way? confused

anyways...after reading such a joyous and bouncy bounce2 bounce thread, it's time for me to go to bed. and yes, i am more than a little disturbed at that atrocious (man, where's that dictionary!?) rhyme!!

meditate

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
At first, I figured the thread was about an advancement for homophobia! ubblol

Seriously, that's so great. It's amazing how attitudes among high school students have even changed in the 8 years (yikes! Has it been 8 years??? eek ). At my high school, it was not ok to be an openly gay student (and my 99% likely gay nephew who hasn't come out yet goes to my old high school).

So it's glad to see that these things change.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Quote:

just one question tho - u said something (dang i forgot to quote & now have to rely on my shoddy memory) about ur dad saying something (yes, i know...it's late ok!!) about ur religion - twas curious as to what said religion is & why he seemed to react that way? confused

I'm pagan. He's rather christian. He didn't like it. And that actually came up in our conversation too, about the last time he did this. He brought it up.

We're going to talk to the teachers tomorrow, we'bve got a list of 7 questions we're going to ask them. I did hear one story though, from one of our male teachers who participated. Went something like:

"Sir, are you gay?"

"That's what the shirt says"

"... but aren't you engaged?"

"Yep"

"...uh.... oookay"

ubblol Now we've got students asking if they can wear the t-shirts for a day, and do the same thing! It's crazy the reaction we're getting from this. I think we're actually going to consider doing the same thing with students now...

juggle

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I did hear one story though, from one of our male teachers who participated. Went something like:

"Sir, are you gay?"

"That's what the shirt says"

"... but aren't you engaged?"

"Yep"

"...uh.... oookay"

ubblol ubblol ubblol
thats hilarious!!!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

HaremPhoenixmember
13 posts

Posted:
Quote:

(I'm going to be picky on that one, HIV is the virus, AIDS isn't)

Thank you smile As an HIV/AIDS Peer Educator, I get really picky about that one.

Back on topic though, I just want to say congrats to you! It sounds like you had an amazing responce within your school. Mine participated in the day of silence and it went fantastic. We had a lot of positive feedback from people about it. So it was all well worth it cuz tons of people participated.

~Elisabeth~
:: shimmy shimmy shimmy flick :: Repeat as desired.

Vestiamember
47 posts

Posted:
this is what they passed out to everyone yesterday (4-21-04) on a little piece of paper: Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. i am participating in the day of silence, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbain,gay,bisexual and transgender people, and their ailles. my deliberate silence echoes that silence which is caused by harassment,predudice and discrimination. i believe that ending the silence is the first step toward fighting these injustices. think about the voices you are not hearing today. what are you going to do to end the silence?

i was a supporter! i was silent!

*Vestia enters the world of poi not knowing what to do*

*smiles and than starting thinking i never know what i'm doing*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ubblol The classic: I don't mind gays, as long as none of my family are!

Yeah...that was pretty much my dad's take.

Hoboy...he got a shock. Unfortunately, he died before he could come to terms with it.

My mom just found out a couple of months ago that a good friend of hers has a gay son. I keep urging her to talk to her. My mom is mortified that her friends will find out I'm gay. I won't tell them because I don't really care, but still...

She'll learn. It'll take time, but she'll learn.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: