Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
I got my favourite staff a few months ago for practicing my weapon forms (I take Hwa Rang Do). It's 5ft tall (that's as big as I am) and the weight is pretty perfect. I wrapped some electrical tape around it in a spiral so I don't drop it if my palms get sweaty. I think I've been doing okay so far, but after coming here I read about people having grips. Do I really need one? No one at my dojang uses one and I've never seem them used a tournaments.

Would a grip make it easier to do moves (contact or regular martial art kind) or just better for a few?

Hey, I'M the BEE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
how could you tell the diff between the sticks you love and the sticks you like alittle less?
only people in law enforcement tend to tell me to 'get a grip' but that's probably due to my not wearing pants. ubbangel

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
huh?

Hey, I'M the BEE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hemp grips soak runoff.
flat grips allow for effortless palming.
and ostensibly grippy-but-not-necessarily-flat grips are decent for contact, but ima bog at contact so don't listen to me on that!

as with the 'best staff length' debate, there is no one best solution by merit of the fact that twirlers are all individuals..
:cues crowd chanting 'we are all individuals':
..so just absorb all advice and form your own, informed opinion. (or just mimic glass cus he so cool ubbangel)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
You're mainly using your staff for what in this case? You mention weapon forms which makes me think you are likely to be using wood of some sort as your staff material. For weapon art forms a proper grip IMO would probably not particularily help.

However if you're combining those martial arts moves & fire then you might find it necessary, as Bender points out, handles are very useful for soaking up Kero (or other fuel) which can make your staff *very* slippery. If you're using metal, a handle definately helps for contact, wood at least has some natural grip to it due to it's composition, but metal can slid very easily over your skin.

Handles are great, but it's personal preference in the end, as can be seen by what we all use as handles. Handles definately definately help with Contact IMO, but I'm not very good at it wink So maybe it's a skill thing (what isn't?).

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
short answer: no you don't need a grip

long answer:
I used to think having a grip was important
the only stick that I use nowdays (not fire staff) has no grip.
its a stick wrapped in orange tape, with rubber stick ends

a big padded grip makes it easier to land the move because it lets you get away with doing things with unclean technique and the stick does not slide off. but its training your body to make unclean planes
(theres a lot of them around)

no grip: sure it makes things harder to do at first, but easier to do clean and develops clean technique feels more pure for contact. anything that makes it harder but cleaner is a good thing in my book.

For fire I use bicycle inner tube, cos of fuel slippyness and because with fire the rules change, ie you don't want to drop at all

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I do have a grip on my staff, but it's coming off horribly (it's been on for at least 2 years) and I think at this point I'm ready to just take it off and leave it off. It does help at times to cushion a almost missed catch (my grip is the cushy tennis grip) but it does get in the way of finger rolls. Mostly I think having a grip or not is just personal choice though.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
hmm I found fingerspins loads harder with my double staffs before I got grip - now I fingerspin constantly in both hands without the staves slipping off centre meditate

progger

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
Yes it's made of wood, but I don't use it mainly for martial arts. I copy some of the form moves and put in some contact stuff and it looks pretty neat, but otherwise it's just my own personal thing.

Hey, I'M the BEE!

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I'd say try it with a grip and see what you think (you never know you might like it).
Personally i love a nice unwrapped gripy staff but like everthing in the world of spinning, if you're doing it for you own enjoyment then use what you enjoy spinning and there nothing more to it then that. smile

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt