Page:
garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Hi,

I'm going to make some Cone Poi and was wondering if any one had any hints, tips or
patterns, I have a rough idea of what I want to achive but anyones help would be much
appriciated and reduce fabric / time wastage.

I'm guessing 4 kite shaped shaped bits of material. so when you sew them
together you get a carrot shaped 'cone' of material. Then leaving the
top open a sutible ball can be poped in the end. Possibly with some sorta velcro
strap to hold the ball still. Then knot the tops and hey some cone Poi

Any suggestions / Tips

wave

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I was gonna make a set similar to these just recently. Your design sounds just fine. I would just like to note that youre going to want to turn the fabric inside out once they are sewn so that the seams are inside.

Additionally, I was going to sew the whole thing (not tying the knot) and add a grommet to the one end. This way, I can attach it to a few inches of ball chain for swivel ability and so I can have finger straps (gripping knotted poi makes my hands ache).

Here's the model I drew up in Photoshop:

Non-Https Image Link

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
eek wow ICoN... waaaayyyy to much time on your hands, but in all honesty, that is a great design plan... easy to follow, and in colour... cool

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Icon, hope you don't mind me corrupting your picture.

Here's London style cone poi:

Non-Https Image Link

No handle needed, just wrap it round your hand.
The London Factor is also evident in the end weight and it's insertion. Tennis balls will not do - juggling balls or millet/rice containg socks for a softer & slightly heavier weight. Also the ends are open with a drawstring for tying, removing the problem of how to get the ball inside and then out again if you want to change weight.

And whilst spinnign them you have to use the words: mate and geezer and not pronounce your Hs. (See My Fair Lady for inspiration).

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Perhaps it's because I don't get on with sewing machines to the degree that they leap from windows when I go near them - put could some kind person put up a sewing pattern?

I tried to make some out of a single piece of material - instead of four, but it didn't work very well.

Also - Dom - how do you make the draw-string thingies (TM) not open?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
hi!does it have to have double loop straps and chain?It is easier to fix in that way,especially when i have to make 5-6 pairs for my team... isnt it?If not then why not?

The only thing constant in life is change...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Durbs - easy way for the pattern. Get a bit of fabric at least 120 cm long. At one end put 2 dots about 5cm apart. 120 down the fabric put 2 dots about 20 cm apart. Obvioulsy mae sure the centre of the dots meet up. Join the dots, cut out, stitch all but the wide end, turn inside out. The draw-string thingies (TM) (tupence fee for use on it's way) are basically large hems with string through them. When you pull them tight you secure them using the secret method (TM) or a knot which tightens itself up with use.
TaDa!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
No, it doesnt have to have double loop straps and chain, thats just my preference. I dont really like wrapping them around my hand or holding a knot. Make Dom's set instead if ya dont want em.

I also like the ball chain cuz the 4" is just enough for 1 hand wrap. I can shorten them and still hold ball chain which is better for buzzsaw type moves than fabric/socks. Once I shortened the 4", I have 14 inches of sock which is perfect for my arm length.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
Nice:)
I feel a lot better now!In our club people come and they play for the first time poi.What do you think it yould be better for them?with or without the straps?

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
biggrin

This is almost exactly what I've been making.
'Cept I don't have a sewing machine and have been doing it by hand - you can see the stitches getting neater as you look down the poi.

Mine are slightly more cylindrical rather than conical, and I think the weights might need to be cylindrical rather than spherical, for smoothness of line - which is what my design's all about.

They should be finished in about 3 billion years - I'll tell you how they spin when they're done and tested... wink

J

Posh ravers wear ties.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Glass made my favorite pair of poi ever. Orange cone poi. I lost them uncharacteristically quickly and still miss them.

When I asked how to make them, he replied:

"It's easy, just make the bottom just big enough to hold a juggling ball and them as long as you want and cut the end off of the top of the triangle. Then you tie a drawstring to hold the juggling ball in, dumbass."

And I was like "Well not everybody's a ******* structural engineer who naturally thinks of this ****. "
And he was like "Listen *****, it's not my fault you're ******* stupid"
And I was all "Why don't you back off *****"
And then he through a punch but I dodged it and threw him into the refrigerator which you guys call an ice box or frigidare or coldy thingie or something... and I grabbed his girl and jumped in my Porche and drove home.

True story.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Lol.

Would love to hear a sound bite of that conversation. Probably sounds twice as funny coming out of Glass' mouth.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
If you won the fight and made off in your porsche, then why has he got your underwear? confused2

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
true story?And true american i d say. biggrin

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Hey, don't make fun of Americans! Just because we're fat, lazy, obnoxious, ugly, smelly, ignorant, tasteless, have no culture or morals, kill innocent people...

Wait, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, cone poi. although you might like to just hold on to the neds of your poi rather than have a handle of some sort, what happens when you want throws? You need some sort of counterweight in order to keep the handles from going all floppy-noodley.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, what Glass does... or did before I stole his girlfriend and car... was to stitch the end of the poi over. Ummm.. badly explained.

Take your cone poi and hold them up. Fold the top part that you hold over 3 inches (54322 cm) and stitch it. Tada! Handles!

And give us Americans a break. We've never killed any innocent person without at least some kind of economic advantage gained. Well, a few, but they were mostly poor and had bad teeth. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Hey! We hardly ever kill the French!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
true story, every word of it..
them were the days oh what a laugh that was.
especially as it was in clapham, and you drove home to New York, which was like 2000 miles underwater, lucky thing you've got 10 years rust proof warantee on that porsche. smile and an aqua lung.

yea but Yankee I still managed to steal all your pairs Y-fronts and I'm not afraid to use them.
So back off ******.
or the HOP signed Y-fronts start their world tour.

meditate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yawn.

You can do whatever you want to my undies you pervert. Unlike you, I got more than one pair censored !

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Start the world tour! Start the world tour! ubblol ubbangel

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Anyone tried these with some LEDs in the bottom? It strikes me that white, translucent rip-stop nylon would look particularly good lit up with a few LEDs smile

Cake or Death?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Glass and I have sets with Aerotech balls in a net bottom. Lush!

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
FireGeeK: UV!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
My pair is furry smile

I didn't bother with making the handle bit like in Dom's picture, I just made them from a large triangle pattern.

My reasoning was that since the triangle is 4 foot long from wide end to narrow end, the tapering of the handle end isn't really that severe. Plus, I was lazy biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I stick my sauce light keychains in long white socks. Works OK and looks cool if it's really dark. Cheap though. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Dom... when i had a go with your cones i have vauge memories of them having a looped handle that changed size. i think you had it threaded back on itself somehow?!? i may be wrong about this and am just be getting confused and have begun imagining extra poi features that don't exist though..... any chance you could elaborate? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
dulbstar..

im sure i have seen them too, or maybe we are just both going mad!

passing through, this world still lives.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Glass and I have sets with Aerotech balls in a net bottom. Lush!

I have some with the samball glowy hacky sacks in the bottom and they look great, a little light tho so modding is in progress...much cheaper than £50 each aerotechs! You must be rich boys...spare a tanner for some LED's please Guvnor?! wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
No, you aren't imagining things. There's a small loop at the top of my poi (about 3 cm diameter) that is either a 2 finger loop or the handle underneath it is pushed through to make a loop.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Like tying a bow in your laces yeah? That's what i have on my new socks, very useful indeed! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Laced socks? confused wink

Cake or Death?

Page: