Forums > Social Chat > this has REALLY annoyed me.....

Login/Join to Participate

^^francesca^^me!
121 posts

Posted:
Ive just started doing poi and i'm really enjoying learning new things and am having a really good time, but my over protective parent just thinks it's dangerous and just a way of peado's trying to meet up with young people.......i understand her concern, and that she is just looking out for me, because it is dangerous meeting people from the internet and people you don't know .....but i go with a group of people i know and i never put myself at risk.... and i'm getting to a point where i can't learn much more from the lessons on the internet and i need to get advice from other people......and coz i'm doing this she just says i'm weird...and it really annoys me....i don't feel judged by the people i am with when i do poi, and thats new for me......... i want her trust and have tried to gain it by never lying to her but i have had to and i don't like doing it.....

sorry to rant......

was hibernating through winter.....oh and summer i spose...ok im just lazy

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
that sucks!

You might want to point out the irrationality of pedofiles pretending to be fire performers to hook up with little girls...

Show her the discussion here, and then show her the discussion in the "14 year old girls looking for daddies" yahoo chat room....

Should set her straight.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

^^francesca^^me!
121 posts

Posted:
a good point but if i did that she would jail me for being in any form of chat room......

ladies and gentalmen...please give a round of applause (or punches) for the one the only...................... wicked witch of the west...

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
You're pretty lucky there are people in your area you can meet up with. My dad isn't going to let me take the bus over 50 miles to meet some older people I met online...

Hey, I'M the BEE!

^^francesca^^me!
121 posts

Posted:
sucks..... ubbcrying i know....

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
why don't you take your mum with you? I know it's probably not very cool to be chaparoned, but if you are young and keen on learning then you should think of a compramise. You never know your mum might even enjoy and start to learn with you. Maybe that way she would feel a little happier that you weren't putting your self in danger.. and don't worry what other people at the meet might think of your mum taggin along - only people you really want to talk to the ones who won't care whether she's a 'parental unit' anyway wink

peace

*edit* I've just seen you live in Bourthmouth - i kow some of the Southampton lot and they definatly wouldn't mind if your mum came along - however as with all older/ adult groups - some may indulge in substances or actions that you or your mother might not agree with or condone.. but if they've got special guests then I'm sure people would be more descrete with smoking and drinking.

check out Soto-fire spinners

see what you think.. I think they have day time spins on weekends.. maybe take the dog out together or summat?

Just talk to her and try to comprimise - you'd only need to go every now and then to pick up trix that you can take home and work on..

good luck - hope you work it out..

Stix
EDITED_BY: Stix* (1082410738)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Don't be so hard on your mother, she's only trying to protect you. There's a massive amount of pressure on her about the dangers of you being online, and some pretty nasty people out there that show some of the warnings should be heeded.

Rational conversations and ideas will work better than anythign else. Stix's idea is good - take her along. I know people who've turned up with their parents before and it's been cool. And generally people don't go blowing smoke in their faces - everyone has had parents at one time!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ladies and gentalmen...please give a round of applause (or punches) for the one the only...................... wicked witch of the west...

i rekon thats a lil harsh, dont you, we all dilike our rents at times, i have just had a MAJOR blow out with mine about an hour ago, but i know they still love me and if it came to it they would walk to their deaths for me, and i for them...

ur mums just worried about the world you are moving into as a person, its a bad scary place out here lady! try and organise a meeting, show her what it is you are trying to do, get her to talk to ppl, surly tehre is a pip going to happen near you, cant you go to that?

your in bournmouth, how about, spanner, stugz and frodo crew cant you organise a meeting with them, to ease yoru mum into it?

be safe, and dont be sorry!

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I belive it was last year when Kinudin (soul fire) came over to the UK with his parents, ok they were indeed travelling over here on holiday anyway but, his parents came along to our spin and no one batted an eyelid.

Is it you that lives really near X~Aimee~X or is that someone else?
Hows about the two of you meeting up?

Parents are supposed to be protective. It better than being by a dirty old man anyway...

Like this one..

Non-Https Image Link

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Quote:

why don't you take your mum with you? I know it's probably not very cool to be chaparoned, but if you are young and keen on learning then you should think of a compramise. You never know your mum might even enjoy and start to learn with you. Maybe that way she would feel a little happier that you weren't putting your self in danger.. and don't worry what other people at the meet might think of your mum taggin along - only people you really want to talk to the ones who won't care whether she's a 'parental unit' anyway wink

I'm 16, and every poi gathering that I've been to, my mom or dad (or both) always have come to be with me. Try this suggestion out, and your mom will probably accept the community even a little bit.

Kinudin

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

Hey, I'm 26 and my mum still doesn't approve of fire twirling - She doesn't understand the appeal, or the people who do it.... She can't seem to get her head around the concept. rolleyes

It took her months to let me light up for her, and even then she stressed and stood there with the hose running! ubbtickled

Shes finally getting the idea that this is something i want to do, i havn't hurt msyelf yet (that she knows of) and that the people who i twirl with are like wise responsible and we look out for each other.

I guess its all a part of growing up, getting your parents to accept the things you do, and trust that they have raised you well enough that you can make your own decisions wisely and that they need to start trusting your judgement - They have done the best they can and the rest is up to you..... Until then tho, best of luck and patience to you with convincing your mum that you are not about to do anything stupid/self-destructive! hug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
when i went to my first gathering, my parents sat and watched (from a distace) for a while and on deciding that the twirlers were all ok (aww flynty and bart aren't scary!) left and picked me up later.
dad even said it looked like a lot of fun that he might want to have a go at some time...but i set him straight on that one quickly!

so i agree with the taking your parents along to a gathering. get them to meet some people so they know the company you're in

(on saying that, i'm only allowed to go to gatherings if someone i know is there...meaning someone my parents know i know...meaning flynt. however if she isnt there the whole time they arent too concerned (to my face any any rate) as long as there are people there 'looking out for me' and its 'safe')

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
Yeah , mom doesn't really approve of anything fire related, and I still get it even though I'm 25. So like everyone else said take them along. Once they know the company you're in, they may be slightly less insane(I did say maybe). Course my mom got into it with me and I told her if she didn't let me spin fire, I was gonna take up fire breathing instead. Then I got the whole lecture about how I was gonna ruin my voice and blow myself up(which both are possible). So now she has accepted spinning as less dangerous. Now she just watches me spin un-lit and when I brush by my pants, she's like, 'you just lit your pants on fire' or 'you just lit your shirt on fire' and 'oh, now your crotch is on fire'. I just love support! Just don't do any neck wraps while she around!

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
How old are you Fran?

I think taking your Mom to a meet would be a top idea. Nobody would mind and she'd get to see we're not a load of peado-child-grabbin weirdos. We're just weirdos! ubbloco

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

We're just weirdos! ubbloco

oih you speak for your slef, im a nice guy, honest ubbangel

Step (el-nombrie)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Mech, just keep it in the pants if her mums by, RIGHT??

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Well I got you all beat. My mom freaked when she found out that I was getting into the fire poi sciene, and I'm 41!

She settled down though when she actually attended an event and saw that it wasn't a bunch of druggies. Include them, they will see that, as a whole, we aren't a bad group of folks to hang with. We tend to watch out for the younger spinners. This is what happens here at least.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
god, i would rather not go to a gathering than take my parents! hehehe. I'm fine at the mo just spinning with corky, and I can wait till im 16 so i can go to a gathering without being chaperoned rolleyes

Quote:

Is it you that lives really near X~Aimee~X or is that someone else?

Hows about the two of you meeting up?

i dont think its near me.....or it might be...im not sure....damn my sucky geography skills.
EDITED_BY: x_aimee_x (1082491720)

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
come spin with us, im a respectable member of my local community!!

youll be cool!

just chill. and watch out for ucof, mech there WEIRDO SNOTGOBBLERS!!! hug

passing through, this world still lives.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
OIH YOU! shut it, or illhave to attack you again, and if the last attack was anything to go by, it wil need to be a pg 18!

yes, frodo is a nice guy, a lil crazy and drives a car of DOOOM! but a nice guy ,go have fun with him!

hey frodo me boy, hows giggles hug

Step (el-nombrie)