Forums > Social Discussion > Oz: Will the Howard govt do the right thing?

Login/Join to Participate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1090574.htm

what do you think?

I think that after all Howards talk of ethics it will be interesting to see if he follows through with not ripping off our newest little democratic neighbour.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
history will treat howard harshly

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Howard and doing the right thing...*rotflmao*

Isn't that a contradiction in itself?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
howard will do the right things according to his values and what he thinks is right. this is vastly different from what many other people in the country beleive is right. democracy is a bitch isnt it?

though in all truth, its unlikely howard really has much of an idea whats going on - this will come under the maratime and energy resources area. from a purely selfish perspective, having a greater piece of the gas fields will be a major economic boost to our economy.
however by my own morals and ethics, i think the issue sux. it seems the major problem is that beurocracy is being used to stall negotiations so the timorese get more desparate and will sign a boundry treaty more beneficial to australia.

i mean f&(* ! these guys need all the cash they can get to bring up their standard of living to a fraction of what we have here!
ive some contacts who are working in the gas/energy sector, ill see what they think...

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Howard will do the right thing.

And Bush honestly thought there were dangerous WMD's hidden in Iraq.

As did Blair.

Heck, while we're at it, maybe Stalin was just "misunderstood."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Please keep in mind when you read this that I have HATED John Howard for a VERY long time.

John Howard will do what is right by him...no one else.

If what he does forwards his political career then that will keep him satisfied.

Which would explain why when the Bush says jump Howie asks how high.

If Howard would only extract his nose from Bush's arse for ten seconds he may see that what he is doing is stupid. But lets face it that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

John Howard has made a number of mistakes during his time as Prime Minister (more than most other Prime Ministers before him) I think it is time for him to step down and let someone else take the ropes...because surely the next person in line can't be as bad as him.

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think it is time for him to step down and let someone else take the ropes...because surely the next person in line can't be as bad as him.

Don't be too sure of that.... things can always get worse.... there are countries alot worse off than ours, made so by the choices their leaders made.... It can always get worse.... i tend to expect the worst from politicians.... but i agree, Howards a wanker, most politicans are, and us, as voters only have a choice of picking the best of the worst - A rather limited choice rolleyes

I know, Lets start our own political party!! We can show em how its done! ubbloco

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
The Fire Twirling Political Party.....FTPP...sounds good to me.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Can I be a Federal Minister Beach Bum??? biggrin

I have no Political skills, (but neither do they).

Am willing to blow a huge budget and have nothing to show for it, and still blame somebody else.

Can make a large media frenzy, and come out smiling...

So... can I can I??? tongue biggrin ubbangel

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I'll let you do it but only if you put into the Federal Budget that a million dollars a year must come my way....not for any particular reason mind you....just so I can live as high and mighty as the rest of the pollies and get away with it.

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Quote:

So... can I can I??? tongue biggrin ubbangel

First rule of politics - Don't ask people what they want.

Second rule - If you do ask, don't pay attention to the answer & proceed to do excactly whatever you wish!

So yes, yes you can biggrin

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Make me...

( *How was that* rolleyes )

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1090824.htm

does anyone see any paralells here with whats happening in Iraq?

Josh

--

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Howard will do the right thing.

And Bush honestly thought there were dangerous WMD's hidden in Iraq.

As did Blair.

Heck, while we're at it, maybe Stalin was just "misunderstood."

exqueeze me? are we relating john howard to a man who historians estimated was responsible for 20 millions deaths of his own citizens? [censored] if he did that there would be noone left! do we even have 20 million in this country?

mike my point was not to support the actions of howard or his government regarding the east timor [or iraq for that matter] merely to point out howard has a different take on the situation, ultimately was convincingly elected at the last elections. he'll do whats right by his and his values he was elected on. thats democracy.

personally he's a greedy [censored] who should give the east timorese all the help he can.

josh, definite parallels with iraq..... its the constant struggle for oil - wasnt it called 'black gold' in an asterix comic?.

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1082469780)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Josh,

Every tyrant in history has done what he thought was right. The definition of who is a tyrant and who is a leader is left up to history.

Any leader who routinely makes decisions without considering the input of the populace and his advisors starts down the road to tyrrany. We have already seen that Bush has a predilection for making decisions in the face of recommendations to the contrary from better-informed advisors. That sends him down this path.

Howard has done the same.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Someone correct me here but wasn't Australia's involvement a major factor to selling the East Timorese up the creek to Indonesia all those years ago. Only to turn about face and help liberate them.

Didn't do the right thing back can't see them doing the right here either. I trust Howard as much as a dog with a bad attitude - don't let turn away or they'll bite you on the arse.

beerchug

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah I think your right Bezerker...thats the only thing that can expain why the border agreement Australia made with Indonesia in 1975 was so favourable to us.

Josh

--