MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
We had a beautiful day today. Pale blue sky; thin, whispy clouds; golden sunshine; blooming plants and sprouting leaves; just warm enough to really feel like spring.

But windy! Wow. What odd weather that it can look so sublime and yet knock you flat on your face if you're not braced right! I mean, my house is actually shaking from it. I had to close my windows and turn on the A/C because I was afraid the wind would rip off the open windows!

What's the strangest weather you've ever seen?

It's either today or the day in California where I literally was walking around with an umbrella over my head and sunglasses over my eyes at the same time.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Umm, I'd have to say walking home from school several years back, and the sky was blue, yet there was a five minute hail storm! It was so weird! That and the temp. dropping to 0 in the middle of July in Newfoundland.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hmmm... move to Ireland, where you get 4 seasons in 1 day.... every day...... all year.....

i often leave for work in the morning dressed for siberia - hat, scarf, gloves, wooly jumper, winter coat..... and drive home in the afternoon in a t-shirt, shades on, window's rolled down..... you can never guage what way the weather's gonna be.....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Fabergé's irish weather can be the same here- at least recently...

Wierdest weather I've seen was a couple of months ago... twas all light outside and then big clouds came over head and lots of snow and hail and then some big purple blobs of lightning... it was fun, I was going home on the bus, looked outside and it was slightly grey and then talked to someone, looked outside again and I couldn't see a thing, the windows on the bus were covered in snow.. teehee

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
The strangest weather I ever experienced was two years ago in northern Ontario. It was a gloriously sunny day and our group was having a grand old time paddling. Suddenly BANG! Lightning storm. We went ashore and sheltered ourselves from the big hailstones (arms make pretty crappy shelter) and watched lightning strike the lake repeatedly for two and a half hours. As soon as it was over the sun came out and pretended nothing had happened.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
aside from having a blizzard one day and then less than 24 hours later it being 75 degrees out (did i mention i hate denver weather?).....the coolest/oddest thing i've ever seen weather-wise was one evening during the winter, there wasn't a single cloud in the sky, i looked up and saw snow falling. i kid you not, there were no visible clouds....i could see the stars, but it was snowing. mind you, the snow was very light and didn't last long, but there was snow nonetheless

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
i love it when there's like black clouds in the sky and somehow the sun is shining thru and there's this eerie feeling like the calm before the storm......and then there's a rainbow...or two.....

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
Troon has its own weather system! it can be pissing it down on Arran Irvine ayr (all around us) but troon has bright sunshine blue skies
a couple of days ago you could see the cloud and the hole above us! it was like a wall around troon on the sky, Cumulous clouds, was amazing! unreal!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Stanford has a strange weather pattern, too. It's as if Hoover Tower (the campus tower) is a cloud repelling device. I remember on many days walking to class under an azure sky while clouds roiled around on all sides, but never came close to the campus.

And then there's the mountains in Colorado. My brother told me about one morning his son's school was canceled on account of snow, but that afternoon, his son had a Little League game in the next valley where it was 55F and sunny!

I've also seen a very rare phenomenon called a "Thundersnow." I was in high school and it was the middle of January when I woke up to the sound of thunder. Now, this confused me because thunderstorms don't happen in January in Michigan. Thunderstorms are a summer thing. So I looked outside to see one of the thickest blizzards I had ever seen with snow blowing past so quickly it looked more like a dense fog than snowflakes. And there was thunder and lightning!

Of course, the snow was so thick I couldn't see the lightning bolts, and the snow muffled the thunder, but I could tell from the timing that the lightning strikes were very close (less than a mile)!

-Mike

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The strangest weather I ever experienced was two years ago in northern Ontario. It was a gloriously sunny day and our group was having a grand old time paddling. Suddenly BANG! Lightning storm. We went ashore and sheltered ourselves from the big hailstones (arms make pretty crappy shelter) and watched lightning strike the lake repeatedly for two and a half hours. As soon as it was over the sun came out and pretended nothing had happened.

Oooh, I've been through those before too!! Driving along, perfectly sunny day, then BANG can't see through rain, hail the size of golfballs, etc. Had to pull of on the side of the road. Also in Northern Ontarion umm

There was another time, where a freak storm came up while we were canoeing in algonquin park, northern ontraio once again, and lightning hit the lake. At that point, it was later on in the day, and we'd gotten tired. That gave us the energy to get across the lake!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Odd.. 2 youthful people from NS, both spin fire and seem to spend a lot of time in Northern Ontario. We shoud really meet someday.
Where do you go? The Muskoka area?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oooh! I went to summer camp in Algonquin Park! Camp Tamakwa. A horrible place full of rich, spoiled brats. I hated it there.

But I remember the canoe trips and the unpredictability of the weather. Literally, in minutes, a thunderstorm can sneak up on you out of a clear blue sky. It makes you wonder how such a big and noisy thing can sneak up on you. One minute it's sunny and calm and the next minute there are angry, anvil-shaped clouds coming over the trees...and the minute after that...

Non-Https Image Link

(it literally can get that dark, too...in mid-day!)

And there you are, paddling like mad to get to shore against wild, gusting winds that seem to come from all directions at once!

-Mike

ShawnieGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Yeah but it's beautiful over there. I think I shall have to return soon. The reason for all those spoiled kids is because it is total cottage country. It is a place that many rich people from Toronto and, well, everywhere really go for the summer. There are some posh cottages around there. Makes you wonder what the heck their houses are like!The weather is indeed neurotic, but usually not completely unexpected. You usually get warning signs such as birds crying or if you have arthritis.. pain. And remember the old saying:
"Wind from the South, rain in your mouth. Wind from the North, cold weather comes forth, Wind from the West, weather's the best. Wind from the East, Storm is a beast."
But sometimes, the weather totally creeps up on you and sometimes kicks your ass! ubbtickled

I've found it to be rather accurate most of the time. But while in Nova Scotia.. I trust nothing when it comes to predicting the weather. *shifty eyes*
beerchug

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
One of the cooler things i have seen was once when i was sailing. we only had little boats, pacers for those that sail, or bathtubs with sticks in them for those that dont. Anyway, the day was really light, so we were basically stuffing around, doing a few skill based things, when someone yelled 'look at the hills'. Now, the hills in question would have been about 10k's away, which is about 6 miles. of course, everyone looks across, just in time to see the not insiginificant landform disappear behind a wall of brown. There was a wall of dust, probably 800-1000 feet high, coming towards us at a very rapid rate of knots. The biig problem was, we really couldnt go that far that fast. I reckon one boat out of the 4 on the water got back into shore, while the others decided to turn turtle, and wait it out. I tell you, floating in the middle of a sandstorm, with winds that would have easily passed 40-50 knots, is not fun. I later found that the other boat had managed to get their sails down and away with all of a minute or so to spare. Not an enjoyable experience, but i will never forget the wall of sand coming towards us. It was one of the most impressive things i've ever seen. eek

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yesterday was by far the stangest weather...

Started off nice and sunny, then got cold very suddenly. And we had a massive thunderstorm.

Next thing i know massive hail storm - i mean the ice settled on the ground and it looked like it had been snowing, or like broken glass in loads of little bits. It was a good 3 inches deep!

Then it decided to rain incredibly heavy for an hour. By the end of the day it was nice and hot! confused

I'll never understand English weather.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

....sheltered ourselves from the big hailstones and watched lightning strike the lake repeatedly for two and a half hours.

Lightning if we've told you once we've told you a hundred times, stop picking on the poor defencelsss lakes! wink tongue

When I was a nipper we used to live behind a pool (almost a lake but too ickle). I was walking past it to school one day and actually watched it freeze over! I couldn't feel the temperature drop or anything but it froze before my very eyes, and then as water expands when it freezes it all started pushing together and little hills made from icce were sprouting out of the top! eek It was like that scene from Superman when he takes the crystal to the north pole!! A little scary when you're 9yo!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the day in California where I literally was walking around with an umbrella over my head and sunglasses over my eyes at the same time.

isn't it wierd when you have bright blue sky and yet it's still spitting with rain? i just get worried that someone might be peeing on me from a very great height....

HANG ON A MINUTE! My Greamlins have changed!?!?!? wow

bounce2 What the hell is going on?!?! bounce help hehe

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett