Forums > Help! > Eek, terrible skin irritation from lamp oil, help!

Login/Join to Participate

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I accidentally got a good amount of lamp oil in my shoe (not while it was on my foot) which evaporated but left enough soaked in there to still cause irritation to skin if touched for a while. I put on my socks and shoes as normal the next day, not knowing of the soaked-in lamp oil, and went to an SAT course.

4 hours later I stand up and notice my left foot hurts a little bit. I took off my shoe, and 90% of my foot is dark dark red, coarse, very painful, and burns.

I went home and washed it with cold running water, which helped for a bit, but the horrible pain came back rather quickly. Anyone have anything that might help? Is lotion a bad idea? Heeeeeelp!

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Crap man that sucks.

Seems to be the safest and maybe quickest way to get rid of something like that is to see a doc. Your doc is less likely to give you bad advice then anybody else. Or you would hope anyway.

Hope that clears up soon. Sending you healing vibes.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just thinking outloud - but wouldn't hot water (as hot as you can take) be best? It would open up your pores thus washing out all the lamp oil... I could be *very* wrong though

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hot water? Yep - if you're skin it itchy just burn it off!!! Maybe not... wink

Things like Aloe Vera are really good for skin irritations. If you have a mother handy go raid her skin care products.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I went to a fire spinning gathering on the beach last night... had *SO* much fun. 30-ish fire spinners with 70 or 80 drummers/spectators. I woke up on the beach in the morning and looked at my foot, and it has broken open frown There's about a 1 square inch (about 2.5 squared CM) wound, bleeds a little bit, hurts a lot. The skin came off it pretty quickly and it is getting bigger the more I touch it (I know I shouldn't but I have to biggrin)

Thanks for the advice, I'm headed to a doctor now.

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Wow! Sounds like a MAD tyme man! Good times, good times!
Good luck with your doc!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I harbour a deep suspicion that playing with fire fuel has totally spannered my allergies. I now have an *intense* allergy to tegaderm (that means most medical bandages, esp band-aids/elastoplast) which makes barefoot festivals quite complicated. Now i have a vigorous rinse at each fire session after having handled the Shell Sol. No Kero.
on a lighter note, sounds like yoo had great times nonetheless, millenium!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
it may help to take some soap with you when you go spinning, so you can wash off residual fuel before it starts burning away your skin.

either that or wear tutu when you spin, although im not sure how much that will help.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Oh, believe me, it does.

I met Nick Woolsey of thevenue.org last night. He was spinning in Yoga pants and he didn't burn himself. It must be cause and effect!