TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
This is just to let everyone know that Latin is an evil language and it should burn in hell. (indirect statement... see? I can't get away from it!)
Poem Time! (sing along, Lyra)
Latin is a dead language
as you can plainly see
It killed off all the Romans,
and now it's killing me!
That's all- just thought I'd share. mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Ebonyglidermember
56 posts

Posted:
I took a semester of Latin in grade 8... it was my favourite class. biggrin

Hey, I'M the BEE!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I loved latin when I was at school.... I would even consider studying it at uni.

am, um em, i, isti, it....

ahh those were the days.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

TrillianBRONZE Member
319 posts

Posted:
Crazy people. tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I did it too.

It sucks but looks interesting on your CV. not many people can say they have studied it. May just give you that edge over the other aplicants.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
you people are on some halucinagenic mushrooms, latin is evil, mainly because i such at it, why do i such at it, because my first latin teacher was half dead, he missed 15 days of school because his car headlights keept breaking, he was also racist and had a made up wife( we think at least, so....

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
:starts feeling worried:

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i failed to mention that he was fired from our school half way through the year, went to another school, and, i believe, got fired from there too, and next he's coming for YOU, mwahahaha, and all that

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
i studied latin for 3 years. The austrians make u study german, english, latin, french, and another language of choice (usually spanish or italian).
crazy bastards

Anyone read Ovid? or Cicero? or Caesar? Our teacher said that u cant learn Latin out of schoolbooks, but that u have to study it from ancient texts. one kid got so frustrated one class that he threw a dictionary at the teacher.....

i changed schools after i gloriously failed french and Latin one year.

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Why study Latin?

People say, "if you know Latin, you can speak French, Spanish, Portugese, and Italian!"

Um...no. Doesn't quite work that way. I speak Spanish and I can't understand, read, or speak Latin. Or any of the other Romance languages except for Portugese. And even that takes a few weeks of immersion.

I don't get it. Why not study a language that people actually speak?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TrillianBRONZE Member
319 posts

Posted:
That's what I think! But this is my last year (of three) thank god, and I'm taking Italian next year. It's a requirement at my school to take three years, because it's a classical school and they've taught it there for 100 years or something. They always try to give excuses, like "oh, it'll help on your SAT's", but really, I think learning a living language will be a lot more useful in the long run.
We're reading Caesar right now- soooooooooooo boooooooooooooooring! All we do in class now is translate stories- it was much better when we were at least learning new things, not just doing the same thing every day.
Lyra, you forgot about his foreign shoes that he talked about every day. It was really bad when he came back as a sub for the class full of kids who had gotten him fired.
Only 25 days left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's pretty much the only thing that's keeping me going till the summer, and then we're free!!!!!!!!!!!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Why study Latin?

People say, "if you know Latin, you can speak French, Spanish, Portugese, and Italian!"

Um...no. Doesn't quite work that way. I speak Spanish and I can't understand, read, or speak Latin. Or any of the other Romance languages except for Portugese. And even that takes a few weeks of immersion.

i think it only works one way around, because latin is the language all those other lnguages stem from. so you have latin at the root, and from the root its relatively easy to work down from the root towards another language using latin as the basis. (im thinking of a kind of tree diagram in my head now)

having said that i speak english badly and french even worse, infact terribly. so im not really the person to talk about language but thats how i understand it...

plus its knowledge which cant be bad?

peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

the screeming flaming dudeYes, as a matter of fact, i do use fire poi. Why do you ask?
104 posts

Posted:
I only learn'd one sentence in latin

which i cant remember

its translation is...

Everything sounds wise when said in latin

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
--------------------------------------------------------
HEY, I COULD SPIN THAT!

TrillianBRONZE Member
319 posts

Posted:
I JUST TOOK MY LAST LATIN TEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to take my (hopefully easy) exam on Monday, and then I'm done with it FOREVER!! (unless I go crazy or something...) bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, if Julius Caesar comes to town, you're our gal!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
wooohoo for dead languages ubbrollsmile

My undergrad degree major is in Old English
and I just love to read the old stories and poems in the original form

My partner uses latin all the time in his work (plant names biggrin)

and woohoo for finishing exams Trillian smile

Lyra - sounds like you had a terrible introduction to Latin hug

TrillianBRONZE Member
319 posts

Posted:
*running around screaming and jumping* I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE I"M DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never have to look at another Latin sentence again! Looking forward to our latin-burning party on saturday...HOORAY! bounce bounce2 bounce
clap clap clap clap clap clap
Here, Lyra, have a couple of these:beerchug beerchug and a giant hug

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
IM DONE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!i dont think ive ever been so happy to take and exam in my life, yes i did have a horrible introduction to latin, but im fairly certain i would of hated it even if i hadent of, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! ubbrollsmile hug juggle ubbloco ubbloco