PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have been discussing with many performers the rammifications of when something happens that gets alot of media attention, and it negatively effects others.

Most of us see it. There was one person who was very persistant in saying that there is no trickle down effect onto others.

I thought perhaps if we could make a list of incedents that we know of, that upon review every now and then we can begin to have a better understand of how what we do impacts others.

I will take the first two, and the most obvious.

1. Great White/Rhode Island Pyrotechnic Fire.

Not that I need to say more but fire artists in the US, and even into Canada are *still* feeling the impact of this as fire regulations have become more and more strict, to an almost smothering degree.
The crapper of this is, it was a Pyrotechnic thing. We are not even in that class but we have been lumped together and it sucks.

2. The Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake-Super Bowl Nipple Thing.

Because of the US-Media knee jerk reaction Bellydancers, Burlesque Performers..even some concerts that had dancers for accompaniment were cancelled. One performer I know lost a few thousand on cancelled bookings.

Any other examples?

Kindest Regards,
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Quote:

1. Great White/Rhode Island Pyrotechnic Fire.

That was the one that came to my mind.

The only other thing I can think of is fire bans due to some people who think it is alright to have an open flame of any kind during the droughts. Ok so maybe that one has a purpose, but I'm trying to see if there is a way I can work around the fire ban in my hometown to perform for a dieing friend of mine since he has never seen me do it. confused

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Anyone who doesn't think the trickle down effect exists for fire performers either isn't very aware, or hasn't searched for work. I'm in California and the great white incident is always mentioned whenever I want to spin at an event.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
excuse my ignorance, but what is this rhode island incident?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Around Feb/March 2003 the 80's rock band Great White played a club venue in the state of Rhode Island.

Long story short.....

One of the pyrotechnic effects caught part of the stage on fire, and then the fire spread within seconds. Dozens of people were killed as people panicked, including one of the band members.

Now, here is where it all gets fun.....

The group Promoter said he got permission for the pyrotechnic use. The group said they don't handle stuff like that, so they thought they had permission. The pyrotechnician said he was told to go ahead as planned. The club said they gave no permission. People at the club who were there during set-up said they didn't realize what was on the stage was pyrotechnics. Somewhere in there someone said the club was not up to fire code and had some emergency exits blocked. Club denied it.

It was horrifying as a human to see what happened, to learn of so much senseless death and to watch people bicker and accuse back and forth.
It was horrifying as a performer, because while we don't use anything that burns as hot or as big as those pyrotechnics, and while we fall under different fire laws normally, it was evident we were going to bend and take it on this one.

There was also that Chicago club fire the week or two before RI. Where the club had a fire and the back exit was blocked by boxes or something. I think 7 died in that one. I don't remember the cause of the fire, but it had nothing to do with performers at all...yet, it has been mentioned a few times as well.

How's this one for you....

Because of street fights being on the rise in (I think it was) Cinncinati, a street performer-with permit- that I know was arrested immediately after his sword swallowing routine for having a weapon without a permit, though there were no permits needed on swords, and swords were not used in street fights. Not to mention, a sword swallowing sword can't even cut melted butter it is dulled so much.

It's more than just fire and it sucks.
Kindest Regards,
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK