Page: ......
AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any tips or advice or anything to share about dying dreadlocks?

I've had mine for quite a few years, and, well, umm, redface I'm going a bit grey umm, and I'd actually like to dye that out.... but it's been soooooooooooo long since I've dyed my hair, and have never died dreadies, so... ubbloco any tips?

(sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot...)

ubbrollsmile

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
yeah culbin forest is wicked....i think nairn beach is where they did the coldplay video too...

west coast is gorgeous....were heading over there in a couple weeks for the weekend, score! / offtopic

saltwater! go have a swim in the sea everyone its excellent for dready goodness! and cools the head biggrin sunny

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ade

ravehead - what's a tree shredder? I'm curious as I've passed a truck twice this week with tree shredder written on the side...

I know what a chipper is, and a stump grinder...is a tree shredder like a chipper?

offtopic

sunny

ade- a shredder is a chipper wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

I want my bloke to get dreads so he can tighten the back of mine and vice versa...

I honestly can't see Ross with dreads ubblol hug sorry I missed you the weekend frown We need get together, with no men lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
why thank you ravehead, I thought it was a fancy way of saying chipper...

smile

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:

saltwater! go have a swim in the sea everyone its excellent for dready goodness! and cools the head biggrin sunny

Yeah, most def!! But don't over do it. I know someone who went swimming everyday in the sea for years (surfer), and he never conditioned his dreads. One day he lost over half his length (and they were down to his butt) cos they just crumbled. Conditioning is not the best idea in the first year, but after that, regular conditioning is essential...other wise one day you could lose your dready babies!! I do mine once a month and I also add neem oil to my shampoo once a week to keep nits at bay!! smile

Are you a robot...or an alien?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

zippers aren't exactly dread friendly ubblol neither are low layining tree branches down darkened allys.

i got mine caught in bramblelast year whilegoing fruit picking frown hurt like hell and had thorns in them for ages(made moshing rather fun though!!)

the worst thing though has to be valcrow ? on spellng this morning my brain doesn't work well at the moment and it appears i would rather spend more time writing that i can not be bothered to look the word up rather than actually doing it!!! biggrin ahh well.... Anyway Velcro ubblol school bags, childrens pumps, bags in general, tops skirts why the hell do i have so many things with the damn stuff on them? nothing more annoying than leaning down to get shoes to get a book bag stuck to your head!!!

hugs to all biggrin rant over biggrin ubblol ubbloco

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
The velcro on the head rest of trains is an absoloute arse.

*Rrrrrrrrrrrrriiiip* everytime I get off the train for college ubblol

However, that wont be happening for long because.......I'm combing mine out.

I dont really know why. I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks, and first off said I'd keep them for a year to see if I could stick it out.
I dont necessarily dont like them anymore. I just dont want them.
So I thought whats the point in keeping something you dont what.
They just dont feel right anymore.

This morning I just clicked and have soaked my head in conditioner, and am slowly picking them out.

Bye bye dreddies!

I'm going to the hairdressers when they're out to have a much needed cut and colour. I'm thinking a little bob-ish type thing, with some pretty colours put through it...

926 posts

Posted:
tink, definitely, frown im seriously thinking about heading down for beltane but depends cos we have a party that weekend and might be skint/worn out.....but its beltane!! i'll let you know xx hug

velcro is awful, i forgot about that...

aimee hope it works out for you.... hug

I didnt mean that in a nasty way but most folk ive spoken to really miss their dreadies when they take them out... frown but its easily remedied i guess! wink

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

201 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

However, that wont be happening for long because.......I'm combing mine out.

I dont really know why. I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks, and first off said I'd keep them for a year to see if I could stick it out.

This morning I just clicked and have soaked my head in conditioner, and am slowly picking them out.

Bye bye dreddies!

ubbcrying awwwww...sad, but if you don't really like em anymore then I suppose you have to do what makes you happy!! biggrin
I've had mine for 3yrs now and I couldn't get rid of em no way!! When I'm a wrinkly hippy, then maybe I could, but so much patience and time went into em...it would take something major I think for me to cut em off. Mine are too far gone to be combed out now!! smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i got fed up of my dreads too. Stuck them out for about 3 years, then got rid of them about 2 years ago.
Short hair is sooo much easier!! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

201 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

i got fed up of my dreads too. Stuck them out for about 3 years, then got rid of them about 2 years ago.
Short hair is sooo much easier!! biggrin

Tell me bout it!!! Problem with mine is that it's sooooo damn curly that it kinks so short that I can't get a decent style(unless it's like grade 2 or summit), then it shrinks the longer it gets...so I can't get it really long either. Pain in the arse!!!
So yeah, maybe thas why my dreads mean so much to me...cos They're getting long smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yeah, when mine were nice and long they were easy peasy.

But I cut them short and they annoyed the hell out of me!

short straight hair, its the way forward! biggrin

skinheads all round! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

I'm combing mine out.

hug awww bye bye aimz's dreadlings, fair play to you and all that, your hair your choice...............if you do miss them you can always go through the truama of getting them done again ubblol

smile

201 posts

Posted:
Hehe...I shaved my head once!! I HAD to try it at least once. Everyone said it suited me...but, I think they were just being nice ubblol

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Yeh I probably will miss them at some point, but like you've said whats to say I cant get them again anytime soon biggrin

I've got about 4 out now, including a really fat one near the front. Its blonder than it looked locked up and has that lovely flaxen curl to it that I hadnt realise how much I'd missed!

I keep rubbing it against my face, mmmmmmmmm individual hair... ubblol
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1176912944)

926 posts

Posted:
lol, yeah i miss that a bit....but rubbing dreads on cheeks is waaay cooler!! ubblol

Owned by Brenn smile

201 posts

Posted:

lol, yeah i miss that a bit....but rubbing dreads on cheeks is waaay cooler!! ubblol

ubblol ubblol

I think what really swayed dreads for me was the day that I could first tie my dreads up...with my dreads!! No need for hair bands anymore. Altho, has anyone noticed that if you tie with dreads too often, your dreads start to bend in that direction...they mould that way!! That happened to mine, now I have a few rather odd looking dreads...hehehehe

926 posts

Posted:
LOL i know precisely what you mean, ubblol i love being able to tie my hair like that, and if you tie them in one big knot at the back it looks way cool! with the bendiness as long as you straighten it out when you take it out it should be fine, no? hug

Owned by Brenn smile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
that's what I did last night for the first time, put my dreadies up without having to use a hair band. I'm soooo proud of myself! clap

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

7,193 posts

Posted:
frown i'm a looooooooooooooooong way off from that stage ubblol i first put my dreads in when my hair was only about 8inches long so for the last 6 months i've had stealth dreads but yeterday i had them out in the sun with the use of a hair band biggrin

201 posts

Posted:

LOL i know precisely what you mean, ubblol i love being able to tie my hair like that, and if you tie them in one big knot at the back it looks way cool! with the bendiness as long as you straighten it out when you take it out it should be fine, no? hug

Erm...I wish mine did that, but if I tie mine up with the same dreads everytime, they start moulding in that direct. So I have to alternate, or leave mine down quite alot and just tie em up when I really need to. I tied em up in a proper top knot for a party recently...Kinda like a pineapple, did look cool tho. I can't wait till they're down to my butt!! biggrin biggrin

7,193 posts

Posted:
how fast or slow do dreadlings take to grow???

sombody did say something like an inch a year confused

201 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

how fast or slow do dreadlings take to grow???

sombody did say something like an inch a year confused

Erm...everyone's different. Depends on the length of hair at the beginning, what type of hair you have, what process of dreading you use. For example, someone who's hair is really long will shrink loads in the first year. They could end up with less than half their original length. On the other hand, someone who has really short hair already...their dreads won't take as long to shrink...and will start just dreading from mainly the root. In terms of already matured dreads...apparently avearge growth for normal hair is 10cm per yr, so half that I guess. Altho I'd say mine have grown 4/5 inches in less 3yrs, but if you take off the time they needed to shrink...that's quite alot.

7,193 posts

Posted:
i put my dreads in when my hair was realy short and the've knotted up realy nicely, not too fluffy or fuzzy either and i also have two dreads i purpously put in just to tie my dreads back with that are like an inch or two too short biggrin

well at least i don't have to wait as long as i thought clap

201 posts

Posted:
Rave-how long have you had em? Apologies if you've written this elsewhere! biggrin

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
you guys need to put a photo of your dreadies in your gallery so we can all see! wink

Yeah I feel like my dreads are going nowhere, they're still sholder length. At one stage I was thinking of gettting extensions, but not on my budget!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
how long does it takes dreads to grow?

well...if you look at how long mine are, and I started with hair about an inch long eek and I haven't even trimmed the ends of my dreads (except for nowadays when I sit on them ubblol), and it's taken me 15 years to get them this long eek bounce2 then someone else can calculate how long they take to grow... ubblol

they seem to go through 'growth spurts' though - not much doing for months, then suddenly everyone is saying - wow your dreads have gotten heaps longer...tends to happen over summer...don't know why... shrug

I also tie mine up with a dread, never worried about the bendiness though as I always use the same dread to tie them up with...

am loving this thread ubbrollsmile

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sparklygreenfire

Rave-how long have you had em? Apologies if you've written this elsewhere! biggrin

errrm.....................at the moment they are about 10 to 11 inches long biggrin

201 posts

Posted:
Leah - yes, photo's indeed!! I have some on my Myspace actually, I will post link later. Don't know off by heart and am having probs getting on there at the mo!

Ade - 15 yrs? eek peace WOW...They must look awesome!! Would LOVE to see pic most definately!!

Rave - cool, getting there then! But how long have you actually been growing them? Months/years?

7,193 posts

Posted:
redface oops, my bad biggrin

well i put them in last august before the essex riots and have re done quite a few of them as it's been a learning curve so i'd prolly say five or six months.

Page: ......