Page: ......
AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any tips or advice or anything to share about dying dreadlocks?

I've had mine for quite a few years, and, well, umm, redface I'm going a bit grey umm, and I'd actually like to dye that out.... but it's been soooooooooooo long since I've dyed my hair, and have never died dreadies, so... ubbloco any tips?

(sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot...)

ubbrollsmile

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
and you can make it look as though you have a comedy beard ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
ha ha, that's so cool! cool

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
comedy beard? i have a real one - (see my gallery for confirmation lol)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ubblol

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Froggy, how much hair dye did yours take?

I'm going to dye my dreddies, but dont want to buy to little and look silly, or buy too much and wase money. Home dyeing kits as I'm sure you'll know can be expensive!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Like most thinks I decide to do to my body - it has to be done as soon as...
I think there was a space of around 3 hours between the time I decided I wanted my lip done, and the actual piercing ubblol

Got on the train after I made the last post and bought two home hair dye kits, which came to just under a tenner which wasnt too bad.
I'd forgotten how much that stuff honks!

"Ahh! My lungs are burning!"

I've gone from a blonde to a BLONDE!, which is a bit of a shock, but I'm sure I'll get used to it biggrin

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was going to post and say that mine normally took the good part of two boxes to coat completely... I would squeeze them to really absorb the dreads and colour them through and through... Would take a day or two to come out even! But when I combed out the dreads, I didn't have any spots, among many other things people said I would have (all negative, no doubt!).

Sooo... Any pictures Aimee??

biggrinhug

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yeah it usualy takes two packs of shop brought dye, although if you use the definitions hair dye to put colour in it i would recomend you use 3 pots and stay away from stargazer stuff. ? on both lots of spellings this morning.

do you have a picture of new hair missy? hug

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Here is what it was like before, blonde on the tips and the horrible mousy brown that is my own hair colour coming through on the roots.
And here is the new hair smile

Mum said "thats the first time you've done something subtle to your body in months!".

Although its nice to have a little change to fend of the "more tattoos - now" thoughts that I've been having recently ubbangel

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Those glasses are *so* cool biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
nice colour Aimee. Nice dreadlings too! biggrin

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i really must update my pic soon, just spent the morning weaving my dreads back on themselves at the roots to tighten them up biggrin

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
mine are really really fluffy at the moment, more than usal, which is starting to bug me. mad2 Which I had someone to help me with the back. Ahhhhhhhh!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
OOOoooooooooooh Amiee that looks loverly, i know what you mean about the more tatt's though *is fighting the urge just to blow her saving on getting the next one* but thats a whole different thread

Rave do you want to come and do mine? i really don't have the energy to do it, even though they are really short right now

i think we should get together and have a dreaddy sesion lol
mine are really fuzzy and i have one section that will not stay dreaded, even though i have not done anything to it in two years i am sure if i tried i could brush it... but i don't have a hair brush anymore lol

i'm going to get a new piccy up soon just so show how short my hair is now eek i even thought about cutting it shorter! not sure though, i also fed up with being blond too now its been far too long i just don't know what colour to go next

7,193 posts

Posted:
leah - all i've done with my young dreadlings at the back is buy a load of elastic hair bands (beads are optional) bind the dreadling with one of them and leave it, it'll be annoying for the first few nights untill you get used to the feeling and DON'T bind the too tight/too close to the roots.

froggy - you know i wanna come for a visit hug

oh.......................and go PURPLE!!!!!

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

one thing that is bugging me ( because they look bad) is the tips of my dreadlings............... i would like them nice and neat not spoikey tufts of dead straight hair at the ends of my dreadlings............whats the best way to sort this out???

Sew em!! Thas what I did...and it worked. I used a paper clip unfolded, leaving one hook end intact...you can use a crochet hook too. I sewed the hair back on itself and now all my dreads (bar one cos it looks cute) are completely tidy at the ends!! biggrin

Are you a robot...or an alien?

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i have a pet hate against tidy dready end so love how mine are messy, biggrin

201 posts

Posted:
I don't think dreads could ever be really tidy anyway...after all, they are made up of masses of live and dead hair that ahsn't been brushed for months/years. In some ppl's case...they havn't been washed either ubbloco soapbox

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i dont like my tips being messy...but i can live with messy roots.....although i tend to hide them...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i need to sort out my roots!

7,193 posts

Posted:
do what i did under recomendation and thread the dread through the roots a few times wink

johnny_dredSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
i have that straight blonde hair and it was not too bad too get started but i mine are the natural look.......go to dredlocks.com and you can get alot of information there......i washed my hair thru the whole thing.....i was one of those people who said f*ck that.......i am NOT going without washing my hair for a month.......i used beeswax......and alot of backcombing......to get mine to lock up..........i started mine right b4 christmas.....and yes it does take a while to get the look..........my hair was also down to the middle of my back.....and now it is up above my shoulders.........but all that hair is up in my dreads now........hell my dreads try to dread together and i have to rip them apart......i love my dreads and will probably never cut them off.........any questions hit me up...........................................

mmmmm......the smell of burning hair........fuel.......I LOVE IT !!!!!!!

201 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

i dont like my tips being messy...but i can live with messy roots.....although i tend to hide them...

How? Under a hat?
I used to have a problem with mine bein frizzy, but now I realise that my dreads will always be slighty frizzy anyway...I've got used to it!

Where abouts in the highlands are you? I was up there twice last year, and I'm coming up again this summer!! Can't wait...I love scotland biggrin ubblove

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I love my dreadies. I wish one of my friends had dreads too so I could play with them! It's so hard to maintain the back part of my head, and my husband can't seem to get the idea. But that's ok, I can't see the back anyways! wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
My dreads keep getting caught on zips and rings and it pulls loops from them :rant:

So i push the dread through the loop to tighten it back up - all my dreads have done it!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

7,193 posts

Posted:
zippers aren't exactly dread friendly ubblol neither are low layining tree branches down darkened allys.

one thing i do dread (excuse the punn) is cement dust when i'm working on building sites ubblol it's a cow to get it all out

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
if you pull your dreads through at the roots just make sure you pull them through a different direction each time otherwise they wont knot up as well.

sparkly, yeah under a hat or bandana...buffs are awesome too. I'm not in the highlands anymore (i really should change that!) im down near perth, but i was in nairn near inverness. But i may or may not be in your area, im up and down and travelling about scotland quite a bit.. let me know smile

and damn tree branches are annoying, zips too. i have loopy bits that arent stuck out enough to pull through they look a bit crappy, but if i cant tidy them up a bit im just hiding them with my beads... sunny

Leah I know what you mean I want my bloke to get dreads so he can tighten the back of mine and vice versa... there are a couple friends back home i put dreads in who are always willing to let me play with them though!! biggrin

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
i just been doing a bit of garden maimig involving a tree shredder ubblol my hairs now coated in pollen so i' going to wash it, also my head is boling hot so i could do with drenching my dreads.

201 posts

Posted:
 Written by: burningoftheclavey

sparkly, yeah under a hat or bandana...buffs are awesome too. I'm not in the highlands anymore (i really should change that!) im down near perth, but i was in nairn near inverness.

Really...thas mad, Nairn was where we stayed on our first trip. I took my son to caravan park last may. The beach is lovely...we walked all through the forest along it, absolutely beautiful. Then I went back myself cos I wanted to be nearer the mountains. Did Glencoe, Glen nevis, skye and stayed in Inverness also. This year I'm doing 5 days in Trossachs then My Friend is meeting me and we're doing north west coast I think...or where ever his wheels take us!
biggrin biggrin biggrin

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ravehead - what's a tree shredder? I'm curious as I've passed a truck twice this week with tree shredder written on the side...

I know what a chipper is, and a stump grinder...is a tree shredder like a chipper?

offtopic

sunny

Page: ......