Page: ...
AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any tips or advice or anything to share about dying dreadlocks?

I've had mine for quite a few years, and, well, umm, redface I'm going a bit grey umm, and I'd actually like to dye that out.... but it's been soooooooooooo long since I've dyed my hair, and have never died dreadies, so... ubbloco any tips?

(sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot...)

ubbrollsmile

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I got DreadHead HQ Dread Wax... it smells great, but I'm trying to be careful not to put too much on.

I also got the small rubber bands from DreadHead HQ.

I've taken the bands out of five of my dreads... if no problems come up then I'll remove the others. smileIt sure is easier palm rolling and finger rubbing those loose hairs back in without the pesky bands on.

Once they mature I need to buy me some beads and shiz. wink

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
well speak to me or burningoftheclavey as we both make them for people biggrin

infact send me a PM with your addy and i'll post you some of mine wink

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
You'd do that for little not-quite-so-old me?

I'll PM you once I've devoured this doughnut.

Right, considered it devoured.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Burzaruka

Okay, I dont have dreads, dont really know anyone with them... so a few questions from an ignorant wretch wink

1. how do you make dreads?
i started mine by backcombing. although some people do the neglect method and leave it up to nature, some also get dread perms which i think are yuck!

2. how do you wash them?

like normal hair. i wash with a non residue shampoo about every 2-3 days. the more you wash , the faster they lock up.

3. how do you dry them so that they are dry throughout and dont get all mildewy nasty?

i first ring them out in the shower, then in my towel, then blowdry.

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
 Written by: OrangeBobo

But Knottyboy is not!

~ Bobo

knotty boy is a joke. i've never used their products and i never put [censored] in my dreads.

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

I got DreadHead HQ Dread Wax... it smells great, but I'm trying to be careful not to put too much on.

I also got the small rubber bands from DreadHead HQ.

I've taken the bands out of five of my dreads... if no problems come up then I'll remove the others. smileIt sure is easier palm rolling and finger rubbing those loose hairs back in without the pesky bands on.

Once they mature I need to buy me some beads and shiz. wink

but you don't need wax or rubberbands.

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

wow update on my dreadlings..............

i've had them for some time now........had to re do them 3 times but each time i learned more and more.i think i'm throught the "fluffy dread" stage, now into " my dreads look like censored" stage BUT................ they are starting to tighten up and feel nice and firm all be it i have lots of loose ends.

one thing that is bugging me ( because they look bad) is the tips of my dreadlings............... i would like them nice and neat not spoikey tufts of dead straight hair at the ends of my dreadlings............whats the best way to sort this out???

get a crochet hook size 1.25 or 1.30. stick it in about 2 centimeters from dread pointing down so top comes out the end of the dread. wrap the whispy ends around hook and pull back into dread until you have a rounded tip.

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ~Leah~

I bought some stuff called sun in. It's a spray that lightens as you go out in the sun or blow dry it, it's the heat. Really easy to use and works great. I had really dark brown hair and now it's a nice sun blonde, not white like a lot of bleaches can do. It's better that dying the whole dread, it's just the outside. I just wish it came in other colours!

all it is is hydrogen peroxide.

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kattoo13

i've had them for some time now........had to re do them 3 times but each time i learned more and more.i think i'm throught the "fluffy dread" stage, now into " my dreads look like censored" stage BUT................ they are starting to tighten up and feel nice and firm all be it i have lots of loose ends.

one thing that is bugging me ( because they look bad) is the tips of my dreadlings............... i would like them nice and neat not spoikey tufts of dead straight hair at the ends of my dreadlings............whats the best way to sort this out???

get a crochet hook size 1.25 or 1.30. stick it in about 2 centimeters from dread pointing down so top comes out the end of the dread. wrap the whispy ends around hook and pull back into dread until you have a rounded tip.

hug sorry hun i beat you to it wink the ammount i've learned about my dreads since i made that post aaaaaggggeeeesss ago is unbelievable and they are only a year old ubblol

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:

Written by: kattoo13

hug sorry hun i beat you to it wink the ammount i've learned about my dreads since i made that post aaaaaggggeeeesss ago is unbelievable and they are only a year old ubblol

good. hope you never used wax.

7,193 posts

Posted:
HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLL NO! ubblol the only crap that go's in my hair is sand and cement dust............oddly it helps my dreads as it works kind of like fire ash

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Forgive me being a fool now smile, but whats actually wrong with using a wee bit of wax?

Does it simply prevent locking?

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

7,193 posts

Posted:
it's just be being a puratine about dreads, i'm just not up for putting gunk in my dreads. the thing with adding wax is you can use too much and it can make your dreads all slimey *yuck* not a good look

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Ah I see now, thanks.
I'm gonna keep posting here because I respect the advice coming from you lads and lasses. tongue

Well I took all my bands out (save from two dreads at the back which I felt sort of needed them.) I've only had my dreads for two weeks now, but some are locking up really nicely.

I hope the dreads don't suddenly fall apart on me now that all the bands are out. >.< Some feel a bit flimsy, and I'm hoping that lots of finger rubbing and palm rolling will sort them out. I'll have to nurture them like the baby dreadlings that they are until they've matured.

And although I like using small bits of the wax to shape my dreads I think its more hassle than its worth; it makes some parts of the dreads too hard - I think it prevents the hair find its place in the dread.

I hope they don't fall apart after my next hair-wash - I gotta be exceptionally careful, as I have (had) the most naturally straight hair imaginable!

Two things I am having problems with though.

1) The tips of the dreads... they're not round. Some are real fluffy, and others have a few bits of hair poking out of them.

2) Its hard checking up on the dreads growing on the back of my head. :-\ I fear I have many loose hairs back there.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

7,193 posts

Posted:
your dreads will feel a bit soft and fluffy to begin with but as you said just keep on rolling them wink

adviace for your two points would be.........

1) i used to use a crochet hook to weave the loose ends of my dreads up so the looked neat but after some time some will work themselves loose. try not to worry if they do just let them do their own thing and they will sort themselves out.

2) it's inevitable you will have loose hairs due to the dreading process tearing some strands out, it's not a problem really and after a while they too will work themselves into your dreads. this is when you need to start splitting any dreads that may start to matt together.

hug hope this helps, i remember how paranoid i got about my dreads early on and this thread did help ease some of my worries just stick at it and in no time you'll have random people complementing you on your dread wink

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
That's reassuring Rave, thanks for the advice. ^.^

My very last worry which I'm going to voice here, is one of wetness. Sorry for pestering you all with this, and I'll understand if you choose to ignore my paranoia. ubblol

I'm in England, and I live near the seacoast. Which means we get an awful lot of rain randomly throughout the year, with spots of sunshine.

My question is, quite simply, do dreads need protection from the rain? Heavy downpours? Light showers? From what I've heard you gotta squeeze out the water as soon as possible... but if I'm walking home in the rain for about an hour or so, is this going to be problem?

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

7,193 posts

Posted:
wear a hoodie ubblol rain should be no more of a problem than washing your dreads. as long as you dry them off they wont start to get mildew. also another thing seeing as you live near the sea is salt water, apparently it works a treat, just rince your dreads with it a few days of the week and twice a month actually wash your dreads with a non residue shampoo, or something with tea tree oils in it like T-GEL. it'll keep those head lice away wink

kattoo13newbie
9 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

Ah I see now, thanks.
I'm gonna keep posting here because I respect the advice coming from you lads and lasses. tongue

Well I took all my bands out (save from two dreads at the back which I felt sort of needed them.) I've only had my dreads for two weeks now, but some are locking up really nicely.

I hope the dreads don't suddenly fall apart on me now that all the bands are out. >.< Some feel a bit flimsy, and I'm hoping that lots of finger rubbing and palm rolling will sort them out. I'll have to nurture them like the baby dreadlings that they are until they've matured.

And although I like using small bits of the wax to shape my dreads I think its more hassle than its worth; it makes some parts of the dreads too hard - I think it prevents the hair find its place in the dread.

I hope they don't fall apart after my next hair-wash - I gotta be exceptionally careful, as I have (had) the most naturally straight hair imaginable!

Two things I am having problems with though.

1) The tips of the dreads... they're not round. Some are real fluffy, and others have a few bits of hair poking out of them.

2) Its hard checking up on the dreads growing on the back of my head. :-\ I fear I have many loose hairs back there.

if you have anymore questions, go to this link:

https://com3.runboard.com/bknottydreadlockforum.f3

i can't stand knotty boy or dreadhead hq. this dreadlock forum though is a great place for people with dreads to come together. people are either thinking about getting them, just got them, or have had them for many years. you can find any question imaginable on that site, as well as a ton of pics. people also discuss other topics besides dreads like health and nutrition, entertainment etc. good luck on your journey with dreads and remember patience is the key.

7,193 posts

Posted:
clap YAYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i have 3 new baby dreadlings bounce ok so i helped them along but i was getting annoyed with all the loose ends

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
McAlpine, you can use wax if you want, and it apparently helps to keep the loose hairs in...so some people say, but the ways in which people look after their dreads are so differed i think its just what works best for you. I have wax and very very occasionally I'll put a little bit on, but to be honest i tend to leave it mostly.

dreads take roughly about a day to dry naturally. if you get wet dreads DONT put them up in a hat or anything as this will definitely give you a lovely mouldy inside... ooooops

yay for more dreadies! bounce

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
saying that i have a fleece hat i put on for an hour after washing my dreads as it absorbs most of the water then i let them dry naturaly biggrin

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
was your hair in the morning and go to bed late, then you should never have damp dreads to sleep on biggrin that is how i do it. i get up and have washed them by about half seven and then if its an average day they usualy are dry for bed time at ten.
i personaly hate the wax and as i wash my hair every other day it would just be a waist of money. i also have a pet hate about the dread compaines... hell they charge far to omuch for their products as it is.. especialy their combs!! but thats just me. all mine are done naturaly, if i do decide to band them (not very often) i use the ones used for horses as they are stong and cheap. but i usualy only leave them in for about a week if that. i do have one anti dread though, it hasn't knotted at all, all my dreads took on their own life and size when they wanted to apart from a bit of hair at the front. it did used to annoy me but i guess its just the rebel dread biggrin (pics of back of my hair can be found in my gallery) they are alot shorter than they used to be as i cut off about 8" due to bordom.
hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

i also have a pet hate about the dread compaines... hell they charge far to omuch for their products as it is.. especialy their combs!!

ubblol knottyboy dreadcomb=£8.99rrp
flea comb=£0.99 from most pet stores ubblol

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
yeah i grabbed a nitcomb...niice..

my friend makes her own wax which smells amazing, i think shes possibly setting up an internet site at some point, if so i'll post the address if anyones interested. smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
check out hip forums too for more info.

https://hipforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

Page: ...