Forums > Help! > Stiff shoulders after poi spinning- Help!

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I've found that after spinning poi for any length of time, my shoulders get stiff as a board, and sore.
I've got some neck, back and shoulder issues anyhow (Large breasts are a literal pain in the neck). mad

Does anybody know how to prevent this? Any warmups or stretches I should know about? After spinning poi for 10 minutes straight, I get the same well-worked feeling that usually comes from lifting weights.
Is this normal- Is it a sign that I'm really working something hard or finding some muscles I didn't know were there?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
If you've just started to spin poi (or haven't done it for a long while) it is likely that you are working muscle groups that aren't used to working like that. I have a back problem so I can sort of relate. Try warming up and stretching before spinning. After too. And if you're stiff afterwards, try heat. Heating pads, shower, whatever. You seem to have issues already, maybe you have muscle relaxants or something already that will help your shoulders as well. In some time, your muslces should get used to it and it won't be as bad, but in the meantime why not get somebody to give you a massage. Even if you're not hurting, who doesn't love a massage? smile

(NS, eh? Cheers. Have a Keith's beerchug)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think one of the best things a beginner can do is to practise doing the basic 3 beat weave really slow every day.

Widen your stance so you can sink down, relax and get a lot of mobility in the upper body/shoulders area.

It's amazing how slow you can go if you work on it (you won't get it straight away, but, with daily practice, it should slow down as the weeks go by) and it pays dividends in understanding how the weave works and developing a unique style.

Whilst doing it you'll also need to be aware of the muscles inyour back and shoulders, watching for tension to develop and relaxing when it does.

Then work on extending this to all your moves and transitions i.e. do them really slow and be very aware of tension in your body; when you do it right it should look like tai chi with poi and feel really good.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
one word.

practise.

hope that helps. biggrin

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
sorry but incorrect practice just means more injuries.
one word.
yoga.
esp. warrior poses. you are using your body incorrecly if it hurts. moving should be therapeutic, if it isn't you are doing it wrong. yoga will help you learn to raise your arms properly and how to move the joints of the arms shoulders and body correctly.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

IcyFlamesBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
try doing simple moves (butterfly }i{, 3-beat weave weavesmiley, etc.) as warm-up. take it slow and do several counts of the moves consecutively. and just keep practicing, good luck!

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I will try some of these ideas, thanks:)
I've got the butterfly down, but still can't get the weave yet..that one's tricky. I've already noticed how much control you have over speed with the poi..beautiful.
I would love a massage, but I'm usually alone when I practice, so I can't get anyone to give me one..I want to go for professional treatment, but I was raised with a great deal
of modesty..the idea of wearing nothing but a towel or sheet as in most professional settings freaks me out greatly..I will keep on working at poi, I really love it, and after only three weeks, I feel I'm getting the hang of it..

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
need a masage? just tell me when and where ;] beerchug

i mean, in the most honourable sense, of course ubbangel

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Something else to keep in mind would be the weight of your poi - if they are excessively heavy for some reason your muscles would tire more, resulting in stiffness, until they develop.

smile

Don't worry, be happy...

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
The poi I'm using consist of braided cord and tennis balls..Yeah, I know..pretty crude, eh? They weigh hardly anything, so I doubt that's the problem.

I went through something like this when I was doing my Crane training- The first few days of constant lever pulling, I was sore as all hell, even though it was not hard physical labour I was doing..It was simply a motion that I was not accustomed to.

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
that explains the sig ;] ubbtickled

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
perhaps it a general fitness thing? i didnt get particularly sore when learning poi [i could feel my triceps working though], and maybe it was related to being relatively fit at the time. back then i was running, swimming, and occaisonally doing weights. perhaps a general fitness program could help?

[no offense intended - im not saying that your are unfit - i really have no idea. just doing some brainstorming]

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I do need to work out..especially in light of my soon becoming a tower crane operator:)
I was starting to get into it at work (I'm currently a night shift security guard), where I had a great site- A construction site that was practically dead after hours- Between patrols I could practice, do simple workouts with weights, stuff like that.
But then I got this shitty site I'm stuck with now, only a temporary transfer thank gods. Since there's people around 24/7, I can't do dick-all, but sit and watch them..I can't even get up and walk around much..I have to stay close to this freaking door, with people running jackhammers nearby, and idiots running manlifts like they're in a demolition derby just feet away from me..
And during the day, I usually have too little energy for anything but sitting at the computer..Ye gods, I'm starting to want off this merry-go-round..The sooner my old site opens up again the better..Peace, quiet, and poi between rounds- until I get my crane operator's apprenticeship, what more could I ask for?

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Unsore shoulders!!!

I had a clicky shoulder after spinning the other day and no matter how hard I punched the air or wound my arm around it wouldn't go away... then it hurt too much so I stopped and sat inside.
I don't work out in any other way than poi and my shoulders and back, neck and everything else is still fine and being tall I expect to have problems but have as such been very lucky!

Hope your job picks up smile

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Your muscles are learning new activity thats all. With practice it will pass.

I was playing with chains on Sat night & lordy knows after playing with tennis balls constantly they nearly ripped my arms from their sockets! That combined with hours of massaging today has left me quite sore today. Stretch before practicing, when muscles are not warmed up you can cause yourself an injury, your muscles will soon learn what you want them to do with practice and should not ache anymore.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Its always a good idea to warm down after doing poi. Especially if you are new to it. I find somtime sif i have been doing it alot, stretching the muscles afterwards prents the muscles getting to tight.

I was doing about 20 mins at break, 40 mins over the coruse of lunch and 5th lesson and i did an hour after school so about 2 hours a day at the moment. I can deffinetly feel my muscles working. There is not to much pain unless i go over 3 hours but i have been doing it for a while now. ubbrollsmile

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A few things you can do:

1) Make sure to stretch out well. I can't describe all the stretches here, but these are appropriate and you should be able to do them if you have a poi chain and a staff. Do this both BEFORE AND AFTER you spin.

2) After starting a program of regular exercise, some soreness is expected to last for the first week or two of the program. This is normal. Continuing to exercise will help it resolve more quickly than stopping.

3) You can partially prevent soreness by taking a low dose (200-400 mg) of ibuprofen (MOTRIN, ADVIL, NUPRIN) 30 minutes to one hour before exercise. If you have any medical conditions or are taking any medications, ask your doctor first if this is OK.

4) You can help prevent and reduce the duration of muscle soreness by taking a vitamin E supplement (400-1,000 IU) daily for one week before starting a new exercise program and then continuing this throughout the first few weeks.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura