Forums > Social Discussion > My Robert Heart Experience

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I met Robert Heart, the man all of you love SO much. I went to a juggling gathering of about 200 people last night, Isla Vista Juggling Festival at UCSB in California. I was spinning poi, doing throws and such, and a man came up to me. He seemed very nice, we talked about solutions to poi handles instead of finger loops for throws and what not. I asked him what his name was, and he said "Robert". "Robert Heart?" "Yeah, how'd you know?" "Heard a lot about you."

I know you've all had a bad experience with him, but he was quite fine around me. Yeah, a bit full of himself and a bit pompous, and his staves were junk, but he seemed like an alright guy.

I'm off to go to the festival again - tis 3 days long, and SO much fun! Supposedly Robert is performing tonight. He has an LED fire staff eek

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
An LED fire staff? Doesn't her just have an LED staff? Or does he actually get fire on it too? ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Who's this "Robert HEart" person??? eh?

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think he has been given a very bad press on here.

I dont really agree with it...

Im waiting to the EJC to meet him (hopefully).

If he was a member of the boards here, the moderators would have deleted everything nasty that was said about him in a second, and give a severe ticking off to the posters.

umm

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
this link is probably the best info about robert heart and what people think of him.

[Old link]

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Mmmm... now I see why people don't like him so much. I went back to the festival yesterday, and I waved hello to him and said "Hi Robert". He smiled and kept spinning.

Later, as I was practicing some buzzsaw hyperloop stuff, he yelled across to me "Boy! Hey boy! Did you make that little move up?"

I don't know about you guys, but if I call someone by their first name, I'd prefer they didn't call me "boy". He tried to sell me a Spin-Bo, his practice staff, and I refused because they're quite... erm. He said, "Come on, just spin one for a second" and I picked it up and spun it for a few minutes. I did a low throw, 2 rotations, and it hit the ground and bent a bit in the middle. He wanted me to pay for it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If he was a member of the boards here, the moderators would have deleted everything nasty that was said about him in a second, and give a severe ticking off to the posters.

umm

Wrong. The "press" he has got on here he brought onto himself because of how he treats people, such as in the Millenium case, and because he really does sell crap and doesn't care. I am a mod and I am saying this. If he was here I would say this still. I know people who have said this to his face.

Please don't assume that the mods correct situations only because of the participation of some people vs. others. That statement was disrespectful. If you read past threads you would find out I have gone head to head with members who I feel were being unsafe or unrealistic, or allowed other people to do so, as long as the conversation is controlled, respectful and doesn't result in name calling and stupidity. It has happened before. I have hopes that those types of debates will happen again. And if Robert Heart does show up on this board I will be the first to direct him to the thread about him.

Before you condemn others for having a poor opinion of him (and btw, can I mention it is alot more than one person who has had a poor run in with him at several different locations/events/times, which means the opinion can't be all wrong), meet him first. You can't know, or even really theorize, he has a bad rap until you have met him. I hope that for you it is wrong. If you meet him for 5 minutes, I garuntee he will be wonderful but reserve your judgement until you spend a few hours around him as many have done and then make your opinion.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Why don't you look at his site and tell us if he's not full of himself .

I think its umm www.robertheart.com or something like .

Oh where is the approveing ninija

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

now i can go to the bjc happy in the knowledge he's on another continent ubbangel

*shuts mouth and promises to not say another word....*

wave

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

umm

Before you condemn others for having a poor opinion of him

I didnt say that....

I was just saying he has been talked about in a less than favourable light.

Quote:

can I mention it is alot more than one person who has had a poor run in with him at several different locations/events/times, which means the opinion can't be all wrong

Sure??

OK then Pele..in a while loads of people come onto HOP and say "XXX is a blah blah blah blah who blah blah yakkedy schmackedy. I hate them..." etc. What do you do? do you let the posts stand or delete them as...surely they breakthe HOP room rules:

"Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence"

I dont know...but if I was Robert Heart I would be offended by some of the stuff said here. So why had it not been removed even though it is in blatant disregard to the rules which we are supposed to abide by. Im not saying that everyone always sticks to the rules, god knows I have broken them a few times (then again..who hasnt? wink ), but this is a repeated offence about a specific topic, and one that is likely to incurr further derogatory statements about Robert Heart and cause offence, therefore further breaking the rules.

So in conclusion, Im the one who throws the shoes on bus stops. cool

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

...in conclusion, Im the one who throws the shoes on bus stops. cool

I found those shoes!! eek But they were too small for me rolleyes wink

I hear what you're saying UCOF, but I think that Mod discretion depends on how favourably they view someone. Unfortunate but sometimes there does seem a bias when negative comments are made aginst an individual. Although this isn't meant to disrespect the mods as on the whole they do a luvvly job smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Puk mate...

yes..he is so full of himself it is untrue..but.. it is his promotional site, which im sure must be on his business card. Would you not big yourself up if it was how you recived bookings and prospective clients found out more about you??

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've just checked his site...seems ok really but

Quote:

World's largest flaming fire staffs (6 feet long with 2 feet of wicking on both ends)

He should get his ass to Bristol and see the 12 foot (yes 12 foot = 4 metres! eek) staff T&B has!!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
yeh..that was the only bit..

or the Te Pooka 14 footer. wink

We really should email him abou that..

ubblol

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Jonny, i hear what you're saying. i too have played Heart's Advocate a little bit (it's the next step up from being a Devil's Advocate apparently...)

but when even confirmed lovely hippy pacifist Mr Dom and confirmed lovely frog princess Ms Cassandra say that someone isn't very nice, then they probably aren't very nice. And the things i've heard he's said to friends of mine make me mad

But malicious talk\jokes about anyone when they aren't there to defend themselves shouldn't really be condoned, and i'm quite surprised at Pele's reaction to the contrary.

on that note:
Pele says
Quote:

You can't know, or even really theorize, he has a bad rap until you have met him. I hope that for you it is wrong. If you meet him for 5 minutes, I garuntee he will be wonderful but reserve your judgement until you spend a few hours around him as many have done and then make your opinion.

reserving opinion is exactly what Jon was advocating, innit?

i still want to check out his staff workshop at the EJC. Although i suspect i may need emergency sedatives... (for me, not him) wink peace

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
UCOF, I think Pele's point is that nobody is blindly saying things like "Robert Heart is a t**t". People who have met him are expressing valid and properly formed opinions about Robert. Other people are forming opinions based on his site and hearing us talking about him. He does have a reputation for being a massive ego with comparativly low skill and there's a good reason for that reputation. Most people who meet him form this opinion pretty quickly, and even the compere of the open stage show he was in had a little dig.

You do have a point that putting somebody down does nobody any favours, except a bit of immature amusement which I'm a prone to as the next man. Robert isn't going to get any better through people being mean to him, putting him down and making remarks behind his back. If anything it'll make him worse. However a stranger's personality problems are not my direct concern.

What distresses me more is doing a Google for [url=https://www.google.com/search?q="robert+heart"]"robert heart"[/url] brings up the original HoP thread! so I'm going to toddle off to make sure nothing libelous has been said!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Robert isn't going to get any better through people being mean to him, putting him down and making remarks behind his back. If anything it'll make him worse.

So it couldnt make him want to get any better and prove everyone wrong?

biggrin That would be cool.

3,149 posts

Posted:
ubbidea
maybe if we shine a really bright light in his eyes we can convince him that Dom is Jesus, and make him mend his evil ways.

"My son, thou shouldst not be prideful of spinning really fast."

does anyone have a robe we could borrow? or a guide to parable writing...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I could borrow one of my mums bedsheets and cut some holes in it..

hang on.. thats for ghosts right?

can we somehow use a crocodile too?

3,149 posts

Posted:
no Jon, we're using The Jesus Method. If that doesn't work THEN we can try The Captain Hook Method...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
to save the moderators saying it:
John Simon etc
this topic is in social discussion
not social chat smile
And please try to stay on topic
ubbrollsmile:

mr Heart: He's not my type of person, and he's swinging style is not a style that I dig.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

umm

I also feel a little uneasy about the situation, it smells vaguely of bitching behind his back.

Other people have mentioned that his website is a marketing tool, so, like many other sites, he's going to make exagarated claims to get more business.

If the guys as bad as many seem to be saying, then it will be apparent to anyone who encounters him for any length of time.

And, as someone else has mentioned, the HOP guidlines specifically say don't post offensive stuff, those guidelines have been used to close down several threads that were, IMO, of more value, and less offensive than the Robert Heart criticism thread.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

3,149 posts

Posted:
Glass: so where do serious discussions with some silliness in them get put now then? confused

or do we segregate all discussions into silly\serious like some crazy trajicomic apartheid?

and we were on topic so nerrr tongue

although this isn't... damn

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It is not intended solely for intense chin stroking philosophical discussions or arguments!

from Dom in the "Splitting Social thread".

There has been too much chin stroking. I for one have stroken no less than 5 chins whilst reading this thread.

4 of which were not my own....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
On a related but not identical note...

Can I just create a website advertizing myself with lies? I mean, can I create an "NYC" website and say that I have the largest fire staff in the world even though I don't? Can I say I have a spotless saftey record despite chucking portions of staff into the audience?

I know I often smear my threads with sarcasm but I'm being serious here. What's to stop someone (in this case a fire performer) from writing blatant lies on the internet? Or is life on the internet governed solely by "Let the buyer beware"?

And a follow up question... are the rules for fire performers different? I mean if I sold a pill that claimed to cure cancer over the internet but based in the US, I actually think that the US government would shut me down. Can I make smaller lies if I'm a fireperformer since we are relatively unregulated?

I'm not just causin' trouble here. I'm sincerely asking.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
OWD - I think people arebeing critical with borderline offensiveness and we've allowed open offensiveness in the past.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

On a related but not identical note...

Can I just create a website advertizing myself with lies? I mean, can I create an "NYC" website and say that I have the largest fire staff in the world even though I don't? Can I say I have a spotless saftey record despite chucking portions of staff into the audience?

I know I often smear my threads with sarcasm but I'm being serious here. What's to stop someone (in this case a fire performer) from writing blatant lies on the internet? Or is life on the internet governed solely by "Let the buyer beware"?

And a follow up question... are the rules for fire performers different? I mean if I sold a pill that claimed to cure cancer over the internet but based in the US, I actually think that the US government would shut me down. Can I make smaller lies if I'm a fireperformer since we are relatively unregulated?

I'm not just causin' trouble here. I'm sincerely asking.

You can do all that except for the cancer pill business, because that could be dangerous to people's health if they take their pills and expect their cancer to go away... the FDA would be all over you (food and drug administration). The lying about your safety record stuff is a bit questionable, as anyone who hired you could sue you if you had an accident because you lied about your credibility.

I had the HOP terms of service in mind when I made this post... I simply stated my experience with him and tried not to openly flame him out of spite. Is anything that I've said truly offensive? If I describe his offensive behavior, that is HIM being offensive, not myself.

As for the promotional website stuff: Sure, he can say all he wants, as it is a promo website, but he acts the exact same way in person. I don't think anyone here has complained about his website's pompousness (only the blatant lies he states in there), but rather, his ego in-the-flesh.

The staff workshop he give is absolutely fantastic, by the way. He teaches people who have never picked up a staff before a bunch of simple movements, and ends it with a short minute or two segment of him spinning advanced staff moves so the audience is inspired to keep learning. Everyone is using a spin-bo, and he tries to get you to buy one at the end of it which a few people do, but I have no complaints about his teaching abilities, save for maybe a lack of attention to each individual. He was also doing some funky passing of his staff between himself and a friend of his, 25-ish foot tall throws with many many spins and not a single drop. Good stuff, but nothing that so many of you couldn't do blindfolded riding a turtle.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Glass: so where do serious discussions with some silliness in them get put now then? confused

or do we segregate all discussions into silly\serious like some crazy trajicomic apartheid?

and we were on topic so nerrr tongue

although this isn't... damn

I've just had a look at the tattoo thread (in 'Help') and found the latest page to be devoid of anything except comments that are non sensical to everyone but the select group who've posted them.

'Social Chat' presumably is the place for that kind of thing?

I think the fact that 'Social' has been split into two is a reflection that there are two kinds of people, those who appreciate those kind of comments, and those who find them pointless and annoying.

I'm more with the latter, not because I have no sense of humour, but because I don't find repetitive and irrelevant comments on badgers etc to be at all funny. Maybe it's because I wasn't in from the start, and am missing something obvious, but, if so, all the more reason to keep it out of 'Social Discussion' as it is an expression of exclusion.

It's not liked it's been banned, it's welcome in 'Chat'.

And if these comments really only work in the context of a serious discussion, then how about starting up some serious threads in 'Chat', presumably the frequenters of that part of the forum, being so laid back and fun loving, wouidn't take offense?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Well perhaps this thread should be in the social chat and gossip section.

Having never met the person, all I can say is that it sounds like he has probably earnt his reputation, with a lot of hard work. As we reap what we sow, then it's his own fault if his reputation for dishonourable behaviour now precedes him everywhere he goes.

However, having said that, I still don't think we should bagging another fire-performer in public. I think this goes against the spirit of the board.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I don't think we should be having this discussion. It is dishonourable, and I personally think it terrible that we are making character judgements of another individual without them being able to defend themselves.

I have no agenda with Robert Heart. He has not touched my life in any way, and even if he is a wanker, then so be it. Projecting nastiness and negativity into the situation is only going to make it worse.

I think we should take a note from Cass's book and keep our opinions of Mr Heart's persona to ourselves.

I bitched and moaned about people spreading rumours about me being a stripper; I therefore see it as my responsibility to ensure no one else is being gossiped about within my ear shot.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Flash Fire:
Quote:

I think we should take a note from Cass's book and keep our opinions of Mr Heart's persona to ourselves.

ummm

Cassandra (from the EJC 2003 thread):
Quote:

my last RH story is tat before karine and i left he ws chatting aith some random german people saying that the fire show wa so bad and non professional and that they should not worry though because next year he will make sure he is in charge for the fire show to finally get a decent one and he also bitched about all those poor twirlers that cannot spin fast ...

although i suppose could be considered objective reportage rather than opinion...

actually, i think that was his first ever mention on the board... ubblol

regarding being offensive about people not here to defend themselves... does that extend to George Bush too?

People who put themselves in the public eye, which Bush and (admittedly to a lesser extent) Mr Heart have done must accept that the reactions to them are just as public as their own proclamations.

Page: