PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
This past Saturday night I had a show. I busted my ass/arse/whatever for this thing! I made my costume in two days (straight, of sewing 2000 beads on individually!) because we had very specific costuming needs. I gathered a camera wielding friend and a safety (thank you PWB) and we headed out. I show up there and the initial set up meeting which was supposed to happen at 10:30 didn't happen until 11. It was very ill-organized, I can deal with that. They hired me, a stilt-walking balloon man (all I could think of was Charles whenever I looked at him!), a really great Carribean Band, a troupe of 3 Salsa dancers...and I was supposed to dance with them, a troupe of 3 bellydancers...and I was supposed to dance with them and this absolutely amazing african drummer. So we are set free upon this bar to perform and the dancers don't do sh!t! I was really excited to be able to see these other performers who also do what I do and felt so let down. Every time there was something to be covered the organizer came to me to do it. The dancers were supposed to dance on the bar. I did fire on it instead (and we have some really great photos of it). They were supposed to dance in a shadow box, instead they went out for coffee and I was asked to go in there. It was really crazy. All of the other performers were great and really worked hard, especially the stilt-walking balloon guy who the crowd did not appreciate at all. Two of the dancers did not even meet the costuming requirements, and come to find out they didn't even know how to bellydance, they just wanted the money! I just don't want anyone to think I was with any of them, you know? I try so hard to be very polished and professional. What do you think I could do in the future to prevent this from happening again?

I did my best. Had fun until people got stupid drunk, but by then it was time to leave (thank god).
So, do you think that people should be informed of who the other performers are when they do shows? We were also told that we could not have any photo/video opportunities at the 11 meeting even though there were news crews outside and stuff. When I was outside someone from a website did take my photo and I didn't care. It was not in the contract at all that we couldn't, and in fact the contract agrees that we may promote ourselves at any event if we wish. Do you think they had the right to attempt to keep us from publicizing ourselves?

Oh, and for those who are wondering, the liability waiver I created was found to be legal and acceptible. There was a fire truck up the street and beat cops everywhere and no one even glanced in disproval my way!
Thanks for the input!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Completely and utterly and definitely YES!!!

if they are acting unprofessional and wear different styles of clothing, then most people who bother to think about it will realise you were a group. In my own experiences, hardly anyone will be thinking about whether you are "with" the others or not, that's the sort of thing performers think about more than Joe Public.

Your professional actions and polished acts will do more to set you apart than anything else, and you've already got that in bucketloads...!

As to being informed of other performers, and their roles and where they will be performing, that's the holy grail the odd client actually hands me, depsite the fact that I ask everyone of them.

But expecting this infomration to be available from every event organiser or club owner might set you up for dissappointment too. I'm happy when i get it, and accepting when I don't.

The publicity thing is a real grey area, and it possibly lies more clearly on the venue's side but if the time in question on the clock or not?
IF...you were being paid at the time for your gig then your performances are there to enhance the venues image and the fun of the patrons, they have the moral right to ask not to promote yourself when you should be promoting them.
IF you are off the clock (before or after the gigs) then they can't morally expect you to not to promote yourself...thats just plain silly, and almost a paranoid (in my opinion).

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
To address the promotion thing. In my contract it said that I could promote myself on the clock, including handing out business cards and such. (the was the Camel Cigarette event)
I was there to entertain primarily, and the photo was taken while I was doing just that (fire breathing).
It is a really strange thing, you know?
Thanks for the input on the other areas as well. I really appreciate it!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I've got the pics from the camera and hope to have them online at least in a raw form tonight. We shall see. I won't have them layed out on a webpage until we redo Pyromorph.com.
Pele, we'll have to go over them as many don't look as good as we originally thought.

I realized that night that I don't like the bar scene. It's too crowded and drunk people are rude and stupid. "Take your clothes off!"

The people that took Pele's picture were from Buffalo Barfly and the pics from that weekend are not up yet.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I know your a Pro in all Pele but...
the seven P's

Propper prior planning prevents piss poor preformance.

I would say you have every right to know and meet your fellow preformers before you even sign a contract. Heck I would make it manditory! I would also have a clause in there that allowed you to walk and not lose any money if things get out of hand. I.E. drunk rude people being to umm drunk and rude! (Personaly I just get loud but thats besides the point)

I am sure that my newbie mindset can not comprehend all that you have accomplished, but those are some ideas, do as you please with them.

Talk lates

Raymund

Ohh ya a showed one of your pics (the one with the guy lighting the Cig off your toung) to the other guys in the armory, they were compleatly shocked!

[ 24 April 2002, 10:52: Message edited by: Raymund Phule ]

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
the 7 P's eh? I like that..hehehe

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performances.

PLURR
ÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-