TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just bought myself a new Go board to learn to play on and I started wondering if anyone here plays it.

So, anyone?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I love that game, it is beautiful and very strategic ... but am not patient enough to play it I am affraid. It is wonderful. Many of my friends from Aikido practice play it

Also, if you have time, do read "the go master" from Kawabata... it is a wonderful short story

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Hey BovrilMonkey,
I'd be up for a game if you like. We'd be a good match, because while I do like the game and know how to play, I don't know anyone that plays it so I don't have much experience. Just let me know where I need to go.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'd really want to give you a game Paddy, except for us being on different continents.
If by some bizzare co-incidence you're travelling around near London on the 18th of May, I may well take my board with me to the common.
Until then, I occasionally play on the msm gaming network because it's pretty certain that you'll find someone willing to play.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

4,224 posts

Posted:
it'd be cool if you brought the board in May. i'd love you to explain it to me again if you have time

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
No problem Cassandra, I'll bring the board along. Time is a commodity I'll have plenty of since I can't do that much spinning, so I'd be happy to go through the game with you as well as I can

884 posts

Posted:
I thought you meant you were looking for someone to play online. I knew there were online gaming things, but I thought you had to know the IP of who you wanted to play, or something like that...I forgot you could play strangers.

Hmm, maybe I should know what I'm talking about before I post. THat happens to me a lot.

884 posts

Posted:
Also, I don't live around anyone on HoP...I often forget that a lot of you know each other and could get together for a game of Go if you so fancied. (I'll go pracice poi on my own now...sniff. )

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Nix Love Go

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
quite a fun game, havn't played in a few years tho... don't worry, i don't live near much of anyone either...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Where might one find an online version Paddy?

Meh

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I love Go, such a beautiful game. I wish I had more time to play it. If i were stuck on a desert island, i'd probably make a board and play all day. It's very spiritual too.

You can play on Yahoo Games, there are players from all over the world.

Nomad

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What? Like, foreigners you mean? Ooh, I don't know about that.

Meh

884 posts

Posted:
Cantus, I think Yahoo has some online games and MSN as well. I've seen my sister play some online games on other sites too but the names escape me now.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
heyall
i know, i'm going to sound stupid... but what is go?!?!?!
i just hear everybody talk about how nice and fun it is, but i have no clue about it.
could anybody explain something about it or give a URL where i could see it??
thx
SaBBaS

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Go is an oriental game that's played on a board marked with a grid and pieces called stones.
The players take it in turns to place their stones on the board anywhere the gridlines cross, aiming to capture as much territory as possible.
That's basically it, there's a fair few websites that explain it better than I ever could, there's one here, one here and another
here

[ 24 April 2002, 22:30: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
AS far as I am aware, its a japanese game that the feudal lords and samurai used to play, to practise battlefield strategey and tactics. Theres a few of us play here bovrilmonkey, so if ever your in sheffield, you'll have to pop in for a game, Just remember to bring the bovril (and the mugs coz someones eaten all mine....)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've been playing off and on for about 20 years - my dad used to make me play him weh I was young and he was board. I never really got into it until he died and I ingerited his board and stones. I've benn teaching a few of my friends lately for lack of other opponents.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I swear, I am constantly amazed by how much stuff is connected to each other. I just got into this game after watching fansubs of Hikaru no Go, a Japanese anime show that involves the game...

Then found a place in the mall that was temp. there that was selling the board. Cool stuff. Also, to connect with that Pi Trainer thread earlier, Go is featured in the movie Pi.

Seems like a fun game, even though I have not played it very much yet.

Cool stuff...
Shawn

4,224 posts

Posted:

Shawn Fumo is back ????
YAY
Last time I saw you post i guess was on our discussion about online personnalities !!!
Nice to read you

shine on
Cassandra